TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hong Kong: Tesla Motors App for iPhone

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by DITB, Aug 6, 2014.

1. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

So when do they plan on releasing the app? Cars have been out for weeks, the app has been out for more than a year in other markets.

Tesla Model S on the App Store on iTunes

Click the "View in iTunes" and it still says

2. JohnxII

JohnxII Member

Ms Han said in an email dated 6th August:

3. DITB

It might be waiting for Apple to change it to be available also in Hong Kong. But what is there to test?

4. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Kind if ridiculous. Hit the button in iTunes connect and it becomes available in all stores worldwide. I really don't see why they have to restrict it thus. It is a free app anyway, so anyone can download it from US store.

5. DITB

#5 DITB, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    Yes, I have it on my old 3Gs which I use for backup and overseas sim cards when traveling. WHY it's not in the HK store, weeks after the delivery of the first cars - is inexcusable. Often this is also the case with other localised apps - like a transport information app for some country. Foreigners cannot get the "when does the next train leave" app as some bureaucrats assume everyone who uses the train has local phones. Who cars what shop you have, if you make a free app, or paid for that sake, why restrict it to a certain local market only?

Tesla App - no linked cars.png

This is how it looks like from my 3Gs, using an overseas account. My HK iTunes won't accept it though, on my iPhone 5S.

Come one Tesla Motors, stop the excuses please, my BS detector is being overloaded!

6. JohnxII

JohnxII Member

#6 JohnxII, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    Tried using the US app on iPhone 5, couldn't connect. Tried the beta Android app on Nexus7, haven't verified all functions but seems working fine for me...

Still my primary mobile device is the iPhone so I guess patience is the answer...

UPDATE: US app seem to be working fine now, you just need a US Apple ID

7. DITB

23/7-14: First Model S cars delivered in Hong Kong

11/8-14: First day where the Tesla Motors Inc app is working in Hong Kong (can be installed, using a Hong Kong iTunes account).

As far as I understand, you have to take delivery of your car first, and accept the delivery, then wait two days before the app is active.

Too bad you cannot track the car while it is in transit!

8. sc88

sc88 Member

Yes the iPhone app works in HK.

9. DITB

Yes, it does now, but only since two days ago. Before August 11th, you needed to have an iTunes account in another country, like USA, Canada or certain European countries where it was released already.

10. Captain_Kong

Captain_Kong Member

I've also downloaded the app in hk, but need the car to be delivered before activating the app account.

Btw, any one knows if there's a valet mode in the car or through the app controls?

11. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

No, not yet. Rumours are that it is coming.