Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Tesla Special Event - 25th January 2016 6:30pm HKT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

markwj

Asia Pacific
Apr 10, 2011
Hong Kong
Tesla Hong Kong are holding a special event tonight, starting at 6:30pm HKT (10:30am UTC) and running for 2 hours or so. Elon is expected. This thread can be used for pictures/comments as they happen.

I will try to periscope what I can (update: I couldn't). You can find that at @markwebbjohnson.

A rough video of the event is now available here (videography courtesy of my wife, Jasmine):

And the Hong Kong customer video:

Last edited by a moderator:
How did it go?

IMHO, the event itself was really well run (even if the reservation/confirmation system sucked). I was having too much fun to periscope anything, but my wife did get a video of the Elon part. Video is being uploaded now, and I'll post here when ready.

Elon was there, and I'll give a short summary below of what he said.

• He looked really tired. Jet lag's tough, and I suspect his schedule is crammed. Talula was there, along with his two youngest.
  • The number of roadster owners present was pretty impressive. I counted 11 I knew (and there are only about 40 roadsters in HK).
  • Elon is meeting with Government on 26th Jan, to push for auto-steer features to be approved (many cheers to this).
  • A bunch of numbers, just like an Apple keynote (see the video for details).
  • 15 stores, 7 major cities, in greater china.
  • Opening in Macau later this year.
  • Hong Kong: A beacon city for EVs. A pioneer for the issues of large scale EV adoption, and a good example for the rest of the world.
  • A video on Hong Kong owners was shown. Really well done. Hopefully this will get released soon. Seems that Edwin and I should be employed as voice over actors ;-)
  • Model X coming this year, as well as a new service centre and expansion to superchargers.
  • Q/A: Superchargers cannot keep up with pace of sales. Elon's reply is emphasis on home/work charging, upgrading the AC public charging stations to higher power (seemed to hint they should use Tesla EVSE/technology for this), and legislative support to help home/work charging deployments.
  • Q/A: Model X. RHD production will be middle of this year, with deliveries this summer.
  • Q/A: A discussion on auto-pilot 'success' stories and how Tesla could share those stories and accumulated statistics.
  • Q/A: Regarding third party App ecosystem, Elon said, "As we have sort of thought about it more, the logic thing to do from an App standpoint it to maybe allow Apps on your iPhone or Android to project onto the centre display, as opposed to trying to create a new App ecosystem. So that is probably going to be our focus in the future - to enable you to project Apps from your phone to the centre screen." Wow. That is a pretty clear statement of change of direction and support for car play and Android auto.

As I said, having George and Jerome come to Hong Kong was great, but having Elon here is something special. We're incredibly grateful for his support for Hong Kong. In particular, if those RHD Model X really arrive this summer, or even this year, that will be a clear indication of how important our little region is to Tesla.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like an awesome event. I wish Elon would come to Australia some day.

Good to know that RHD X production will start more quickly than RHD S did.

And your region is definitely not "little" to Tesla! You guys have 4x the number of Model Ss in an area that's 7000x smaller than Australia!

A few photos from yesterday's event

IMG_3422.JPG

IMG_3425.JPG

elon (1 of 1).jpg

Reactions: CatB