Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honk to record dashcam - delayed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OCJeff

Feb 18, 2021
SoCal (RSM)
New MY owner here, and today someone cut in front of me on a two lane left turn. I honked when it happened so they would not run me off the road. Later I went back and checked dashcam videos and found that the recording started about 5 seconds after I honked. It popped up and said "Dash cam recording" about the same time it actually started recording.

What is the point of recording seconds after I honk? It won't capture the incident that required me to honk, or the accident that may have happened.

Is there a setting I'm missing? Why does it have a delayed start on recording?

I'm on SW ver. 2021.11.103.

It has been recording all along - about 1 hour worth. Honking the horn is like pressing "save".

It saves the video in 10 minute increment and it is actually better that it saves about 5 more seconds past the time you honk the horn.
Screenshot_20211002-144856_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Check the video that you viewed again, the Dashcam/Sentry Mode Viewer software sometimes skips ahead and does not always show the entire clip from beginning to the end.

Another thing you can check is for a saved recording just prior to the one that was saved when you honked the horn. It could be that one video buffer was at the end (10 minute buffer) and that was saved before the next 10 minute buffer started recording.

Check the video that you viewed again, the Dashcam/Sentry Mode Viewer software sometimes skips ahead and does not always show the entire clip from beginning to the end.

Another thing you can check is for a saved recording just prior to the one that was saved when you honked the horn. It could be that one video buffer was at the end (10 minute buffer) and that was saved before the next 10 minute buffer started recording.
Gotcha! So when I try and view the clip immediately (I was 2 minutes from my destination) the MY hadn’t assembled the final "recording" just yet. Since I only had the recording from after the honk available to me.

Checking now both the original recording which I thought was incomplete and the second drive home test I did (that also appeared to only show post event) are both pre-pended with content prior to my honk event.

So lesson here is to not try and watch the recording right away, but wait maybe…. 10 minutes?

Thanks! Good to know how these things work.

Gotcha! So when I try and view the clip immediately (I was 2 minutes from my destination) the MY hadn’t assembled the final "recording" just yet. Since I only had the recording from after the honk available to me.

Checking now both the original recording which I thought was incomplete and the second drive home test I did (that also appeared to only show post event) are both pre-pended with content prior to my honk event.

So lesson here is to not try and watch the recording right away, but wait maybe…. 10 minutes?

Thanks! Good to know how these things work.
For Dashcam Mode there is a 1 hour video log kept in 10 minute video clip increments. After the hour has past the oldest 10 minute video clip is overwritten. When you honk horn or tap the Dashcam screen icon the current 10 minute video clip is saved to a separate folder, is never overwritten unless/until you delete the video clip or reformat the storage device.

Can’t trust it. I honked at a guy backing into me in a parking lot. Checked afterwards, video starts when we are already out, looking at the marks. I checked right after the incident, and hours later. The previous clip ends about 1 minute before. Checked all videos, dash and sentry. Three years of deleting unwanted clips, and it fails me the one time I need it. Drive not half full. What a crock.