Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honk...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I test drove the Roadster I hit the horn after Ben explained how it worked. I'm pretty jumpy by nature and the loudness of the horn made me practically jump out of the car! It's definitely louder than I expected.

I'd be very concerned in a Roadster with all the trucks and SUVs around my area. They'd probably end up on top of the Roadster before they knew what the honking was about.

Meanwhile, I seem to be having the opposite problem. I swear that I cut off at least two different people my first week of driving my new roadster. Strangely enough, nobody ever honked at me! It's possible that I really didn't cut anyone off, and these two situations were just a car coming "out of nowhere" in the lane behind me almost immediately after I changed lanes. Whatever the case, I'm doubly careful about changing lanes now, especially considering the huge blind spot.

Get the multivex mirrors; they pretty much eliminate the blind spots.
I bought the multivex mirrors but never installed them because I didn't like the tape installation method. I found that if I adjusted the driver side mirror such that I couldn't see the side of my car, the blind spot was eliminated. How did you install your multivex mirrors?

How did you install your multivex mirrors?

I peeled off the goofy tape and used RTV to attach them. I did a thin bead around three sides, leaving the bottom open in case water gets in there. Held it in place with masking tape overnight while it cured.

I learned to use RTV on glass from a friend, who has a company that makes telescope optics. They routinely hold high-quality mirrors up to 8 inches diameter and 2 inches thick in place with a few small buttons of RTV. Done properly it doesn't distort the incredibly high-accuracy glass, yet it holds forever. And you can remove the glass by cutting the RTV with a razor blade.

I bought the multivex mirrors but never installed them because I didn't like the tape installation method. I found that if I adjusted the driver side mirror such that I couldn't see the side of my car, the blind spot was eliminated. How did you install your multivex mirrors?

When adjusted properly I don't have any blindspot issues. Would second Doug's RTV endorsement for this application. I also love Shoe Goo.

Last edited:
A taxi reversed into me in a traffic queue yesterday. I was stationary when I saw the reversing lights come on. I did manage to find the horn and was frantically hooting away as the taxi drove serenely back onto and up the front of my car.

Afterwards she said she just didn't see me and thought the car behind me was the closest vehicle. She seems not to have heard me using the horn.

Luckily the damage is very very slight as far as I can see. Question: it looks like superficial paint damage only, but how do you assess the possibility that there is underlying carbon fibre or structural damage? Nearest Tesla Store is 500 miles away.

Just had something happen very similar today. In a line of backed-up cars behind a parallel parking spot, and the car ahead of me (a mid-size sedan) started backing up. There was a car behind me, so I was stuck. I leaned on the horn, for what felt like several seconds, but the driver continued backing up until he tapped my front bumper. He claimed he never saw or heard my car.

Fortunately there was no visible damage, just a few mild scratches on the plastic paint guard film. But I would certainly be interested in a louder aftermarket horn, if any of you have any experience installing one into the Roadster. (I know Ian's done it, but the point is to do it for less than the price of a whole new front bumper! ;)

I peeled off the goofy tape and used RTV to attach them. I did a thin bead around three sides, leaving the bottom open in case water gets in there. Held it in place with masking tape overnight while it cured.

I learned to use RTV on glass from a friend, who has a company that makes telescope optics. They routinely hold high-quality mirrors up to 8 inches diameter and 2 inches thick in place with a few small buttons of RTV. Done properly it doesn't distort the incredibly high-accuracy glass, yet it holds forever. And you can remove the glass by cutting the RTV with a razor blade.

that's exactly what I did. The multivex mirrors have pretty much eliminated any blind spot - but I also accelerate into a lane change, like Smorgasbord.

Now if only I could get other drivers to eliminate THEIR blind spots ...