Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honolulu charging Tesla model three ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I’ll be getting my model three 2021 in December. I really am a little worried about what’s available for charging since I live in a condo in Moilili. The only faster charger that I see that is close to me is on Ward Avenue and now only one charger is working so I am worried that I won’t be able to charge my new Tesla. Is there any ideas or can someone help me find out is my recharging anxieties? Much Mahalos!

If you're willing to pay, there's are level 2 chargers in the Hale Mahana parking lot (the building with Raising Canes, Starbucks, etc.). They used to be free, but they switched to fee-based and so there's much less crowd. The parking lot was free (no gate) too, but I haven't been there since pre-COVID, so not sure if the parking is still free/open. If not, a small purchase at Starbucks should cover it.

Also, since you mentioned you're in a condo, keep in mind that Hawaii law requires condo associations to allow owners to install charging in their parking area. Heavy emphasis on allow. They can't stop you, but they also don't have to make it easy for you either (you may have to pay the full cost of installation of the necessary infrastructure). You also must own - you won't get very far with the AOAO as a renter.

Depending on your situation and daily commute, a close enough 110V outlet supplemented by occasional public charging could provide all you need.

Also, since you mentioned you're in a condo, keep in mind that Hawaii law requires condo associations to allow owners to install charging in their parking area. Heavy emphasis on allow. They can't stop you, but they also don't have to make it easy for you either (you may have to pay the full cost of installation of the necessary infrastructure). You also must own - you won't get very far with the AOAO as a renter.

Depending on your situation and daily commute, a close enough 110V outlet supplemented by occasional public charging could provide all you need.
Thank you for the information. I live two apartment buildings away from the Hale Mahana Dorm building. It is an opportunity, but probably will not use since it is precarious. Building security will ticket you if you don't use and I guess stay at the business in that bldg (Canes, Starbucks, Pieology,,etc). Also, since I am on the road at 5 am, I can go to Ala Moana for plenty of fee chargers open and ready for use at 6 am. It just looks like our options are slim. EVGO is the only High speed charger (50 KWH), but at least on Ward Ave. one charger is usually down. There is one at Costco and one in Hawaii Kai, so I guess I will take my chances to drive all the way there and wait for an open charger. Wonder if anyone is advocating for EV owners and the environment.

The charger at my condo is out of the question. Board members are HOT about me trying to even learn more about the opportunity. I will do more research, but there is no way I will pay for the installation because the infrastructure is not conducive to how our cars utilize space. I am an owner, but I am not gonna fight that battle.

Thanks so much for your time and efforts! I plan to use the free parking at Ala Moana while I exercise every morning. That works for most of my needs, but I was hoping for a fast charge option.

Another option if you don't mind Waikiki and a small parking fee - International Marketplace has 8 Tesla wall chargers and the retail store allows owners to charge provided you respect their reserved signs. If you patronize a retail store, 1 hour of validated parking is only $1 or $2 I think, and an hour on a Tesla wall charger will get you ~40-50 miles.

If the Tesla stalls are not available, there are multiple level 2 chargers available - 4Volta free chargers, and 6 chargepoint free chargers, IIRC.

This is all assuming nothing has changed from pre-COVID times.

Another option if you don't mind Waikiki and a small parking fee - International Marketplace has 8 Tesla wall chargers and the retail store allows owners to charge provided you respect their reserved signs. If you patronize a retail store, 1 hour of validated parking is only $1 or $2 I think, and an hour on a Tesla wall charger will get you ~40-50 miles.

If the Tesla stalls are not available, there are multiple level 2 chargers available - 4Volta free chargers, and 6 chargepoint free chargers, IIRC.

This is all assuming nothing has changed from pre-COVID times

This is assuming you have a LR model. The 40-50 mile/hour charging will only apply to LR models equipped with a 48A onboard charger. The SR/SR+ are equipped with a 32A (30 m/hr) onboard charger for AC charging.

Last edited: