Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
kdday, I can. I will do that. gimme a day or so.

Maybe while I am in there this time, I will put a zipper on it. Been in and out so many times.
Hehe hehe I know it well. I've been in and out of that glovebox area many times myself for the front camera kit, hdmi kit, ape swaps, testing @BearBu's quad cam kit, etc. Now I bet I can do it in 6 min or less :). I'm sure you feel the same.

Similar to many of you here, I am currently running AP2.0 with MCU1 and hoping to upgrade both parts. I currently have FSD prepaid, my question is, does the MCU upgrade come free with the FSD hardware or is the full price of the MCU2 upgrade applicable here? Sorry if I missed this elsewhere!

I could live with the monochrome camera view. It comes down to having even monochrome video is superior to not having anything so its great to have even monochrome. I started playing with the idea to upgrade the cameras while SIP was going on anyway. So, more later when we figure some of this out.

Is there any downside in AP/eventual FSD with having the monochrome cameras versus new cameras?

Similar to many of you here, I am currently running AP2.0 with MCU1 and hoping to upgrade both parts. I currently have FSD prepaid, my question is, does the MCU upgrade come free with the FSD hardware or is the full price of the MCU2 upgrade applicable here? Sorry if I missed this elsewhere!

The MCU upgrade is still going to cost $2500 even with FSD prepaid.

My 2018 MS, AP2.5, MCU1 (missed MCU2 by 2 weeks) is getting the MCU2 upgrade and FSD HW3.0 upgrade as we speak.

I think the only reason I pulled the trigger on this is because of my Model 3. The responsiveness of the UI is so much better. It's obvious that the latest development is focused on FSD suite and honestly, I just like the cool new toys. For $2500, I was able to get bumped up to get the new toys now...and the excitement that is building in the coming months (hopefully).

It seems I went through the same process deciding if it was worth it as @Akikiki. We reached the same conclusion.

Thanks for the post...looking forward to picking up my car this afternoon or tomorrow when it's ready.

Down side in AP? I think we will envy watching dash cam footage were the front is washed out and the rear is perfect. Let's not forget. Dashcam footage is not vacation videos we will watch for years to come. Its supposed to be evidence - your side of what happened.

My answer to your question. No, I don't see a down side. I was experimenting, still am, if I can get newer full color cameras in to replace the monochrome views. Beginning to look like - no.

My 2018 MS, AP2.5, MCU1 (missed MCU2 by 2 weeks) is getting the MCU2 upgrade and FSD HW3.0 upgrade as we speak.

I think the only reason I pulled the trigger on this is because of my Model 3. The responsiveness of the UI is so much better. It's obvious that the latest development is focused on FSD suite and honestly, I just like the cool new toys. For $2500, I was able to get bumped up to get the new toys now...and the excitement that is building in the coming months (hopefully).

It seems I went through the same process deciding if it was worth it as @Akikiki. We reached the same conclusion.

Thanks for the post...looking forward to picking up my car this afternoon or tomorrow when it's ready.

Take some formatted media with you. You will be anxious to try the your dash cam while you drive home. Mine did not work at first. They fixed it by reloading the firmware. Try Sentry before you leave to see if its going to work.

Take some formatted media with you. You will be anxious to try the your dash cam while you drive home. Mine did not work at first. They fixed it by reloading the firmware. Try Sentry before you leave to see if its going to work.

I had dash cam already, although 2020.8.1 broke it, (still broken in 2020.8.2 and 2020.12.1) -- seems like this was a firmware bug according to others with the same spec as me. AP 2.5, MCU1, FSD upgrade software, but no HW3. But, I appreciate the tip. Will bring a fresh drive with me.

@Akikiki Perhaps I missed it further up this discussion so forgive me for asking again if this question was answered previously: Did Tesla notify you that your car was ready for this upgrade or did you request it and they are following through on that request. I, like so many others, are a target candidate for this upgrade. Have been waiting to hear something from Tesla but so far there has been nothing positive outside of your post. AP2.0 MCU1 FSD Dec 2016 MX.

@Akikiki Perhaps I missed it further up this discussion so forgive me for asking again if this question was answered previously: Did Tesla notify you that your car was ready for this upgrade or did you request it and they are following through on that request. I, like so many others, are a target candidate for this upgrade. Have been waiting to hear something from Tesla but so far there has been nothing positive outside of your post. AP2.0 MCU1 FSD Dec 2016 MX.
No. No email. I simply used the app and scheduled an appointment. Under Schedule Service, press Software. There's a sub choice Infotainment. Then I described I wanted the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade. They contacted me the next day and setup the date and time. Didn't want me hanging around, so they had a loaner for me.

Thank you so much for your post. I own an April 2017 X 90D and am awaiting the HW3 update notification. Was milling the idea of the $2,500 MCU2 upgrade option. Did the MCU2 upgrade come with a new center console screen? My current screen just got the UV treatment for border yellow discoloration.

No. No email. I simply used the app and scheduled an appointment. Under Schedule Service, press Software. There's a sub choice Infotainment. Then I described I wanted the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade. They contacted me the next day and setup the date and time. Didn't want me hanging around, so they had a loaner for me.

I tried scheduling this... was promptly told it was not available for my 2016 MX90 w/ FSD originally purchased.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
This is not directly related to my MCU2 upgrade, but I don't like starting new threads, so here goes.

I installed 2020.12.5 tonight. 12.5 introduces the Tesla Dashcam viewer. It shows a snapshot .png image for each clip in the corner of the window. So four videos Front, Rear, Left and Right are ready to show for Dashcam and Sentry footage. You must be in Park to play. To access the Viewer, there’s now a drop down menu on the Dashcam icon. But its only available when in Park. Otherwise pressing the Dashcam icon starts recording or saves clips.

Here's sample video of the Viewer and menu to access it. Sorry– not very good, but gets the point across, I think.

Then I had an idea. And I fooled the viewer.

This is a poorly shot clip where I fooled the viewer. Play the iPhone created video of me running the viewer. Notice the “Rear” view. Anything odd about this “Rear” view of the Tesla camera? No, I am not driving in reverse. I also have BlackVue DR900s in my car. I took Front video footage and copied it into the Tesla Dashcam folder into Recent Clips. And after noting the file naming convention, I deleted one of the ones for rear (actually named back) in that folder. Then I used that deleted files name and renamed the BlackVue Front video to the name of the Tesla back displayed as Rear. Then inserted the media to the car and played it on the viewer. They are all mp4 files with unique names. Even using a laptop in the car, renaming BlackVue videos to a Tesla naming convention. Possible if necessary but not easy.

Great Post :cool:

So even AP2 (not 2.5) HW is getting 3.0 HW upgrade for full Self-Driving?!
Thought they won't retrofit AP2 HW with FSD since it's lacking the redundant wiring introduced with 2.5 - or maybe this is just some EU regulation thing :confused:

Is DAB (or HD radio as it's called in US) also affected from FM feature loss or only the analog signal??

Reactions: Akikiki