Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been asked already but are you able to use the dashcam viewer? It was added in an update about a month or two ago. It lets you watch the sentry events straight from the car. Also if possible could you post a vid of it working?

Apologies if this has been asked already but are you able to use the dashcam viewer? It was added in an update about a month or two ago. It lets you watch the sentry events straight from the car. Also if possible could you post a vid of it working?
For fun and educational purposes, try using the site search function to answer this type of question. :)

It's the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner (at least on desktop that's where it is). Enter "dashcam" and mark the check box at the bottom that limits searching to this thread only. Then look through the results, maybe even sorting them by date to see each instance "dashcam" was mentioned in order.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. We're you notified through the app of a complimentary FSD comouter upgrade? Mine is scheduled for friday

My Feb built 2017 S has received the MUC2 Infotainment Upgrade.

Before: MCU1 w/ HW 2.0
After: MCU2 w/ HW 3.0

Two hours into the upgrade the SC discovered that the mothership supply folks had left out the new MCU1 car to MCU2 harness. It was supposed to be in the hardware kit but left out. So the SC ordered it. Nothing gets here over night except Coronavirus. Getting the harness took a little longer than it should have.

SETTINGS: My car’s configuration lost one setting, WiFi. That makes sense. We get a new WiFi card in the MCU that supports both 2.4 and 5 GHz, so it does not have the home WiFi password. Reconnected in seconds at home.

ALL OTHER settings were still there. Driver Profiles, Easy-Exit, Outside Rear view mirror settings, Homelink, and Radio Favorites. I can’t speak to what happens when you select FM radio favorites, never had them. Remember, we lose FM radio, so even if there, would not work. And I had no browser favorites saved, so none there.

FM Radio. As expected, FM radio is gone. No stations available. Service Advisor reminded me that it was gone when I picked up my car. Its not big deal to me. TuneIn has all our local FM stations.

AP on NAV. AP w/HW 3.0 now has visualization that include traffic lights, showing red, changing to green at the intersection. As I drove under the light, they got larger showing green, until they disappeared as I went under them. Also, traffic marking such as thru arrows and turning arrows on the road show on the IC screen. As I drove past construction, each traffic cone appeared along the side of the car’s IC screen too. One section for contraflow has 4 foot yellow rubber poles in the road. The visualizations showed even those poles as I pasted them. At traffic lights, the cars surrounding me were not shaking as per AP 2.0.

CALIBRATION: My Service Advisor reminded me that AP would need to calibrate during the first drives. A message “CALIBRATION IN PROGRESS” appeared on the IC below the speed indicator. As soon as I started driving, a small blue spot leading to an outer blue ring began to encircle the Auto Pilot symbol (steering wheel) on the IC. Calibration finished in 10 miles. Then another message appeared at the bottom of the IC. I could enable AP on NAV in settings. I did. Then in a couple of minutes, I noticed the visualizations appear.

After calibration, I tested AP for a few miles. I had only tried AP for about 4 miles, so it’s too few miles for me to judge much.

PRO: Response and lane centering was better than before upgrade. As before, approaching an intersection with cars already stopped, my car slowed. And I was 4-5 car lengths away from last car when light changed and other cars started through intersection. Mine was still slowing until the green light appeared on the IC – then the car stopped slowing and picked up speed through the intersection. AP seems steadier than before. But visualizations are improved and appear to me to be in concert to what AP is doing.

CON: The steering wheel nag interval seems to be more frequent. I counted 15 seconds one time and 20 seconds twice.

TESLACAM and SENTRY: With MCU2, my car now supports the Tesla dash cam and Sentry modes.

BROWSER: I visited only a couple of web sites, but response was immediate. It’s previously not been that fast.

SCREEN: The MCU screen looks brighter and images appear crisper, but that could just be because it’s on a new screen.

ENTERTAINMENT: With MCU2, I now have Tesla Theater and Games.

INVOICE: Shows NO LABOR PERFORMED. (We know labor occurred. However its included in the Upgrade cost.)

Two part numbers are shown on my invoice.
1582613-00-A MCU Upgrade - Qty 1.0 Price @,500 Customer Pay 2,500.00

Additional items for upgrade (MCU2 + HW3 package)

Performed Media Control Unit Upgrade with harness retrofit. Installed firmware and checked infotainment functions. All systems function as intended at this time. The retrofit disables FM radio. For local radio stations, please use Tune In.

Correction: Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.5 To Intel MCU And Autopilot 3.0 (Model S)

Parts Replaced or Added
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5- NA (9874561-00-A) Qty 1.0 Customer Pay 0.00

Final Price included state tax.

LESSONS LEARNED:

1. Check with the SC and ask them to verify that they have all the parts in the kit, not just look at the sealed box.

2. After MCU/eMMC replacements a few owners have reported being unable to unlock the car with the fob or the app. Recommend before you leave the SC to check both the fob locking/unlocking and light/horn and unlocking/starting the car via the app. Initially, the app could not connect to the car (sitting in the car, - active). Closed the app and reopened it and response was immediate.

RECOMMENDATION: Highly recommend. It’s great. So very glad I did this. It’s worth it simply for the performance.

My 2017 S is relatively young by MCU1 standards. However, mine had a number of idiosyncrasies that gave me reason to believe it was dying. Although under warranty, the MCUs eMMC would still have the same size chip and would likely have an another short life. The MCU2 has a 4 X larger eMMC and I can expect longer life. Out of warranty MCU1 repair would cost by today’s cost at least $1700+ including Tax. MCU2 cost is only $1,000 more than the MCU1 replacement and in my opinion is worth double that difference for longer life, better performance of AP and NAV plus the addition of Tesla dash cam and Sentry. Theater and Games are a small plus but I will likely never use.

Mine was the first one done at the SC in Honolulu.

View attachment 528543 View attachment 528544

Hello Akikiki, in the Netherlands HW3 upgrade is now available and I just got it on my S from December 2017. It seems I need mcu2 (not available in Europe yet) to see things like traffic lights etc on my screen (the option ‘Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview’ is missing in the Autopilot menu). Then I wonder what good is HW3 for me? Does the car take in account traffic lights and other obstacles while driving although they don’t show in the screen?

Aloha njbink, I am pleased to hear that Netherlands and Europe are getting the APE3 Hardware. That's great. I would guess that MCU2 is coming soon too. I can't speak to having HW3/APE3 and not having MCU2. I know I could not be happier with my car now. It drives as though it is a brand new car.

Thanks for letting me know you got the HW3 Upgrade. Please share with me when MCU2 is available. I hope for your sake that you opt to get it too. I think you will not regret it.

• Informative
Reactions: gern
You have to specify with them that you want MCU2.0 with new screen. Otherwise, they will try to reuse your touchscreen and give you $250 discount for the infortainment upgrade.
That's true. Its just a choice. There's a shortage of new touchscreens. At least they are trying to move the process along getting the MCU2 out there for installation versus sitting on their thumbs and doing nothing but waiting on more screens. Can't fault them for this method.

If we sold strawberry and chocolate milkshakes and were out of strawberry, we wouldn't say, Hey, we have chocolate and strawberry shakes, but you will have to wait two months for strawberry. We would simply say, we are selling chocolate shakes - now.

I bought the triple front facing, b-pillars and side repeater 2.5/3.0 cams since April 6th, but haven't had the courage to install them fearing they threw error messages. A ranger that came to my house to look at my wife's Model X told me that the b-pillar cams even need a firmware redeploy if disconnected from the car :confused:. I'll now take that with a grain of salt...

Awesome finding @Akikiki! Did you pull out the 12V power before swapping the side repeater?

@kdday Do you think the FSD computer is able to auto-detect RCCB feeds and make the camera swap "plug n play" without changing autopilotCameraType 2?
I do not. I have to believe the Autopilot computer will have issues with the next firmware update if wrong cameras are installed at time of deployment. I have to believe, though I have no proof currently, that a proper configuration of autopilotCameraType needs to be set.

Got my MCU2/HW3 upgrade yesterday. Was so excited when calibration was done after about 10 miles! Love how it reads the road markings, traffic lights, etc. Haven’t had much time to play with my car since work is busy but will delve more into the new features and performance this weekend. I did notice Maps and web definitely connect faster.

I asked my service advisor if he heard of the discounted price and he hadn’t. Said it still pulls up as $2,500. Wondering if anyone will get that $1,900 price or a coupl people just got lucky for once with the infamous Tesla communication issues?

Reactions: Akikiki
Got my MCU2/HW3 upgrade yesterday. Was so excited when calibration was done after about 10 miles! Love how it reads the road markings, traffic lights, etc. Haven’t had much time to play with my car since work is busy but will delve more into the new features and performance this weekend. I did notice Maps and web definitely connect faster.

I asked my service advisor if he heard of the discounted price and he hadn’t. Said it still pulls up as $2,500. Wondering if anyone will get that $1,900 price or a coupl people just got lucky for once with the infamous Tesla communication issues?
Same great results as last two posts. Just being able to see my Yahoo Finance stocks full page was worth the $2250 (same center screen).
Need to test UHFS, I've not heard it would be improved as @cruiserlarry mentioned. If so, Booya

Reactions: nanimac and Akikiki
UHFS definitely sounds better to me - just sad that the Immersive sound has only a 5-band equalier with only 8.5dB of adjustment, compared to the original UHFS equalizer...but it still sounds great to me. And I love having the Sentry system with in-car recording and viewing, as well as multiple camera view options backing up or driving...I haven't even had a chance to check out the Theater or Arcade yet lol....but since I haven't listened to AM or FM radio for years, there was no downside to this upgrade for me. Tesla, for all the minor negatives, is still an amazing car and company. What other brand can you upgrade the entire functionality of a 3-year old vehicle to new for $2500 ?? For any price ?? No other brand.