Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I have heard, the reduced $1900 price for the MCU1 - MCU2 upgrade is being offered to folks who have a MCU1 memory chip failure under warranty...the discounted price is the difference of the cost to Tesla if they just use a replacement MCU1. The price for normal requested replacement is $2500 w/ screen, $2250 w/o screen.

And I should have added this. We should expect or not be surprised when Tesla says its not compatible. We heard this more than once. Back when we were mounting the rear camera on the front of the car and sending the fed into the center console we heard then that the newer rear camera that was released in Jul '15 would not work. But it did. It was a better resolution than the one we were using and many of us swapped both rear and front. And it would make sense that a Tesla rep would be saying - no - because the parts catalog doesn't say yes. So we just have to consider the source must report the company position. You know they don't like us replacing parts or messing with the car's configuration.

When I added the Model 3 FM Digital Tuner to my MCU2 upgraded '17 and even got it wired up like a factory MCU2, I was told No, Tesla would not make the gateway configuration change necessary to enable it. Even if I paid them to do work that I described. Answer - No. And it was not a local decision. It was not my SC Mgr. She said, corporate had been tracking my team progress in getting one installed and wired properly. We documented what we were doing along the way, and they knew every step we had reported. The SC Mgr said, "we won't support a change to the fleet that is unique to the fleet. I can understand that if it makes my request different than many others in the fleet. I argued that making the gateway change to mine that was needed would make it match factory MCU2 digital radio configurations. So down the road, it would work even after OTA updates. And while accurate, they still said no.

If anybody is reading this, there's info posted from Netherlands side of TMC that tells us that Tesla is offering the digital radio upgrade as an option with MCU2 starting in Oct in Europe with MCU2 upgrade installations. The source even has a text reply from his SC confirming. And he got a price in Euro's Converted to USD, the price will be about $495/$500. So, if you are a MCU2 fence-sitter and losing FM is a big deal, maybe this will help you. No idea when we will hear of it offered in USofA, but at least its news it may be coming.

If you doubt or want to read yourself, follow this link. MCU2 upgrade mogelijk, maar hoe? Read starting at post #132 and don't overlook #157 I recommend using Chrome to read it, because you can translate with it.
Confirmed here also in the UK - tuner retrofit will be offered alongside MCU2 very soon, and also as a separate retrofit later if people don’t have it done at the same time as MCU2.

I am still very intrigued as to how they are going to do it, e.g. use a new custom harness as we’ve done with our DIY retrofits or some other way? Also pretty amazed they’ll do this on RHD Model X’s as getting to the tuner and manoeuvring it in that tiny recess was really really difficult.

Reactions: Akikiki
Ahhh, one of the few blessings of not being a true audiophile, but instead being a tone deaf (me) listener. I don't know really good sound/music from Tesla stuff. I simply am too ignorant to know what I am missing.
Hi Akikiki,
I followed with interest your experiences with the MCU2 upgrade and your attempt to keep the radio tuner. I had the MCU2 upgrade done here in the UK about a month ago and, like you, lost the radio tuner functionality. Tesla are now offering a radio tuner upgrade for £300, so I’ve booked my car in next week.
Are they offering similar upgrades in the US ?
Regards
David

You have more features that are likely turned on by default. Go through all you settings and turn stuff off that you are not actively interested in using. Give it a few days and see if that's made a difference. Probably has. Then turn back on those things you need.

You have more features that are likely turned on by default. Go through all you settings and turn stuff off that you are not actively interested in using. Give it a few days and see if that's made a difference. Probably has. Then turn back on those things you need.
Yes, thanks. I did that last night and I'll be monitoring the battery for a few days. Let's see.

I have MX built March 2017, MCU2 EAP 2.0 HW. Has anyone done just the MCU 2 upgrade with AP2.0 HW that can confirm Teslacam working?
To my knowledge, Teslacam, sentry mode recording is only available for AP 2.5+. I see most folks did MCU2 + FSD upgrade.
I don’t have FSD and not planning to upgrade as EAP is enough for me. I would like Teslacam.
Per Tesla support site it in only available with FSD.

I have MX built March 2017, MCU2 EAP 2.0 HW. Has anyone done just the MCU 2 upgrade with AP2.0 HW that can confirm Teslacam working?
To my knowledge, Teslacam, sentry mode recording is only available for AP 2.5+. I see most folks did MCU2 + FSD upgrade.
I don’t have FSD and not planning to upgrade as EAP is enough for me. I would like Teslacam.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe MCU2 is backwards compatible with AP2. Therefore, if you request the MCU2 upgrade, they will also install AP3 hardware (though you won't have FSD features since you didn't purchase it).

Teslacam is not a FSD feature so I believe you would get that once you move to MCU2.

Again, someone here can correct me if I am mistaken.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gorkhe
...I don't believe MCU2 is backwards compatible with AP2. Therefore, if you request the MCU2 upgrade, they will also install AP3 hardware...
You may be thinking of HW3. APx is cameras, radar, servo redundancy and fuse/breaker configuration, I believe. HWx is the self driving computer, 2 being MobileEye, 2 being nVidia, 3 being Tesla's first and 4 being the new Tesla die shrink in alpha test.

There are lots of AP2.0 MCU2 retrofits, although there was something about the order of HW3 and MCU2 upgrades if you want both and do them separately, currently you have to pick the right order at some Service Centers but not others..

Last edited:

Oct 2016 MX here. We have HW2, MCU1. We did the FSD computer upgrade so while keeping MCU1 (will upgrade MCU2 once FM radio can be added). When AP3 computer was added, our MCU1 car REAL sentry mode was enabled, and the dashcam feature (of course you need to add a USB drive). When you do MCU2 (with AP3) you also get repeater cameras when in reverse (MCU1 does not).

I am thinking to update MCU 2 only. I have had issues with mcu1 requiring reboot while driving. Real sentry mode and dashcam are the features I am interested in. I don’t care much about FSD. Also upgrade price was increased by 2k, making it less desirable

I am thinking to update MCU 2 only. I have had issues with mcu1 requiring reboot while driving. Real sentry mode and dashcam are the features I am interested in. I don’t care much about FSD. Also upgrade price was increased by 2k, making it less desirable
I scheduled my MCU 2 upgrade, SC confirmed that they will also be upgrading AP3 computer. Super excited to get the upgrade! Thanks all for the input.

Reactions: Akikiki