Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@dragoljub, No, no email. And still have not received an email about it. I had seen a couple people submit work request tickets for APE3.0 and nearly all had been cancelled. I figured what would they do? Accept or cancel. Can you imagine my surprise when they contacted me and confirmed the date/time? SHOCK is a word for it.

Mine is a early '17. Built in Feb and took delivery in Mar. And they added APE3.0 too while they had it. After I turned it in, they told me that I was their first here.
Have you heard of anyone else getting HW2.0 to HW3 yet?

Yes, @croman here on TMC. His eMMC was failing and he was lucky enough to also get the famous email. I think, he's picking it up soon. As I recall, he was told by the SC that they were also installing APE3.0

Yes, May 6th. I was confused as to whether I got just MCU2 but I think I get HW3 as well based on Tesla's email of ordered parts for my car. (FSD ordered in 2016).

Reactions: Akikiki
Regarding the MCU2 Upgrade, Akikiki, did you receive an e-mail to schedule your upgrade?

I reached out to my service center and called support and they keep saying my car is not "yet" eligible. I have an Early 2017 Car with AP2.0 and FSD prepaid. My MCU1 is currently dead.

This is directly from the Tesla website:
Infotainment Upgrade

Autopilot Computer 2.0 with Full Self-Driving Capability -- Late April

"Owners with Full Self-Driving Capability will receive early access to the Infotainment Upgrade and a complimentary upgrade to the Full Self-Driving Computer during their appointment. Purchase Full Self Driving Capability from your Tesla app or Tesla Account to enjoy priority access the Infotainment Upgrade."

I did not receive an email but I did pester my service center nicely because my MCU1 is dying (randomly intermittent sounds, no wifi, no streaming/tune-in/bluetooth). It is not fully dead but they agreed to order my kit (MCU2 and HW3 I guess based on the part #) and told me that it will be in by May 6th (so I have an appt but also Tesla is now emailing me tracking emails for the part). I'm mollified with this and actually quite happy that Tesla managed to make me wait but also come through just as their faulty MCU1 failed.

We will see if I get it but I think you should definitely let them know your MCU1 is dead and you need a fix quick. They worked with me and I hope your location does the same for you.

Reactions: scottf200
For those have had the Infotainment Upgrade done, how did you actually pay for it?
For example, when I purchased FSD, I did it through the Tesla website (not the phone app) & there was a button to purchase FSD, and I used a credit card to pay for it.
However, for the Infotainment Upgrade, I don't know how someone pays for it. Do you just pay for it when you go to the SC for the upgrade?
Thanks!

It was simply payment at the SC like we did any previous work. Of course they are exercising social distancing and leave the clipboard and pen on the far table. We sign and they email the receipt.

I think people that are thinking we pay for this upgrade via the app are thinking of it as something solely a software feature or enhancement, like 60 battery to 75 battery, or FSD purchase. This is not purchased that way.

EXCELLENT POST!! Thanks for your efforts.

My Feb built 2017 S has received the MUC2 Infotainment Upgrade.

Before: MCU1 w/ HW 2.0
After: MCU2 w/ HW 3.0

Two hours into the upgrade the SC discovered that the mothership supply folks had left out the new MCU1 car to MCU2 harness. It was supposed to be in the hardware kit but left out. So the SC ordered it. Nothing gets here over night except Coronavirus. Getting the harness took a little longer than it should have.

SETTINGS: My car’s configuration lost one setting, WiFi. That makes sense. We get a new WiFi card in the MCU that supports both 2.4 and 5 GHz, so it does not have the home WiFi password. Reconnected in seconds at home.

ALL OTHER settings were still there. Driver Profiles, Easy-Exit, Outside Rear view mirror settings, Homelink, and Radio Favorites. I can’t speak to what happens when you select FM radio favorites, never had them. Remember, we lose FM radio, so even if there, would not work. And I had no browser favorites saved, so none there.

FM Radio. As expected, FM radio is gone. No stations available. Service Advisor reminded me that it was gone when I picked up my car. Its not big deal to me. TuneIn has all our local FM stations.

AP on NAV. AP w/HW 3.0 now has visualization that include traffic lights, showing red, changing to green at the intersection. As I drove under the light, they got larger showing green, until they disappeared as I went under them. Also, traffic marking such as thru arrows and turning arrows on the road show on the IC screen. As I drove past construction, each traffic cone appeared along the side of the car’s IC screen too. One section for contraflow has 4 foot yellow rubber poles in the road. The visualizations showed even those poles as I pasted them. At traffic lights, the cars surrounding me were not shaking as per AP 2.0.

CALIBRATION: My Service Advisor reminded me that AP would need to calibrate during the first drives. A message “CALIBRATION IN PROGRESS” appeared on the IC below the speed indicator. As soon as I started driving, a small blue spot leading to an outer blue ring began to encircle the Auto Pilot symbol (steering wheel) on the IC. Calibration finished in 10 miles. Then another message appeared at the bottom of the IC. I could enable AP on NAV in settings. I did. Then in a couple of minutes, I noticed the visualizations appear.

After calibration, I tested AP for a few miles. I had only tried AP for about 4 miles, so it’s too few miles for me to judge much.

PRO: Response and lane centering was better than before upgrade. As before, approaching an intersection with cars already stopped, my car slowed. And I was 4-5 car lengths away from last car when light changed and other cars started through intersection. Mine was still slowing until the green light appeared on the IC – then the car stopped slowing and picked up speed through the intersection. AP seems steadier than before. But visualizations are improved and appear to me to be in concert to what AP is doing.

CON: The steering wheel nag interval seems to be more frequent. I counted 15 seconds one time and 20 seconds twice.

TESLACAM and SENTRY: With MCU2, my car now supports the Tesla dash cam and Sentry modes.

BROWSER: I visited only a couple of web sites, but response was immediate. It’s previously not been that fast.

SCREEN: The MCU screen looks brighter and images appear crisper, but that could just be because it’s on a new screen.

ENTERTAINMENT: With MCU2, I now have Tesla Theater and Games.

INVOICE: Shows NO LABOR PERFORMED. (We know labor occurred. However its included in the Upgrade cost.)

Two part numbers are shown on my invoice.
1582613-00-A MCU Upgrade - Qty 1.0 Price @,500 Customer Pay 2,500.00

Additional items for upgrade (MCU2 + HW3 package)

Performed Media Control Unit Upgrade with harness retrofit. Installed firmware and checked infotainment functions. All systems function as intended at this time. The retrofit disables FM radio. For local radio stations, please use Tune In.

Correction: Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.5 To Intel MCU And Autopilot 3.0 (Model S)

Parts Replaced or Added
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5- NA (9874561-00-A) Qty 1.0 Customer Pay 0.00

Final Price included state tax.

LESSONS LEARNED:

1. Check with the SC and ask them to verify that they have all the parts in the kit, not just look at the sealed box.

2. After MCU/eMMC replacements a few owners have reported being unable to unlock the car with the fob or the app. Recommend before you leave the SC to check both the fob locking/unlocking and light/horn and unlocking/starting the car via the app. Initially, the app could not connect to the car (sitting in the car, - active). Closed the app and reopened it and response was immediate.

RECOMMENDATION: Highly recommend. It’s great. So very glad I did this. It’s worth it simply for the performance.

My 2017 S is relatively young by MCU1 standards. However, mine had a number of idiosyncrasies that gave me reason to believe it was dying. Although under warranty, the MCUs eMMC would still have the same size chip and would likely have an another short life. The MCU2 has a 4 X larger eMMC and I can expect longer life. Out of warranty MCU1 repair would cost by today’s cost at least $1700+ including Tax. MCU2 cost is only $1,000 more than the MCU1 replacement and in my opinion is worth double that difference for longer life, better performance of AP and NAV plus the addition of Tesla dash cam and Sentry. Theater and Games are a small plus but I will likely never use.

Mine was the first one done at the SC in Honolulu.

View attachment 528543 View attachment 528544

Update on: Adding FM Radio to MCU2 Upgraded Model S.

Bottom line: Tesla service declined my request to activate my MCU2 compatible FM Radio Tuner. (Sorry, folks – we tried.)

Last week, I went down to my SC to request they mod my car’s configuration to activate the Model 3 FM Radio Tuner that I had DIY added to my S. Mounted, connected and ready. After info provided by @kdday, we thought it was a simple process – change one line in the configuration or delete one line. I shared that info with my SC Service Manager.

Our SC folks, and especially our Service Manager are great Tesla people to work with. They are always so very helpful and considerate. We know how lucky we are to have such a special team servicing our cars. I have the highest respect for them.

I went in to ask if I could submit a work ticket to pay for any service such as diagnostic testing to activate my ready radio. They already knew of our effort to add FM back. The explanation accompanying the No, sorry, was: Restoring or adding FM Radio Tuner is not part of the MCU2 Upgrade and will not be performed. Because its not part of the MCU2 Upgrade they will not help.

This stalls my personal and my friend’s experimental effort to activate FM Radio after MCU2 upgrade.

If its Tesla’s current policy to not make an effort to restore FM radio after MCU2 Upgrade, how do we get them to change their policy. In old days it would probably be a letter writing campaign, or maybe boycott a product. I don’t think either of those efforts would work these days.

Is there another way? Maybe. Over the past 8+ years we’ve seen many objections or dissatisfactions that owners have had with Tesla policy or actions changed when they were brought to Elon’s attention. Maybe what’s needed is a few or many, I don’t know, social media users appeal to Elon about their disappointments and preferences. Maybe affected folks want to tweet Elon about the FM Radio issue.

Sorry. Did not mean to misquote you. Thought that's how they let you step up to MCU2 upgrade.

@dragoljub, I agree @croman, reach out to your local SC to see if they will let you install MCU2. You certainly will not regret it.

Great News everyone! Finally got my MCU 2.0 and AP 3.0 upgrade appointment scheduled for 2 weeks from today. This will fix a currently dead and yellowing MCU 1.0 in my Early 2017 Model S (With Pre-Paid FSD). It took almost a month of back and forth with several rounds of service appointments but finally they have parts on order and hopefully in two weeks I will have a refreshed car with snappy MCU and Cone/Garbage Can tracking. :) Looking forward to it.

Great News everyone! Finally got my MCU 2.0 and AP 3.0 upgrade appointment scheduled for 2 weeks from today. This will fix a currently dead and yellowing MCU 1.0 in my Early 2017 Model S (With Pre-Paid FSD). It took almost a month of back and forth with several rounds of service appointments but finally they have parts on order and hopefully in two weeks I will have a refreshed car with snappy MCU and Cone/Garbage Can tracking. :) Looking forward to it.
Congrats!!!

Finally got the car back after this upgrade. Figured I would let this thread know it’s all working well after several rounds of broken dash and trim parts at the service center. Fast MCU 2.0 is more exciting to me than FSD for now. ;)

@Akikiki I noticed in your pics you may also have the IC screen protector left on your new IC by the service center. I was able to pull mine down by pushing up in the top middle of the instrument cluster shroud and it caught the edge of the screen protector on the way down.

Thanks for paving the way and posting about this!

FB4631F8-68C1-4923-9FEC-732EF0FE30B1.jpeg
3AB31BF8-119B-49C7-9F50-4ABAFC9A5C4E.jpeg
C94D30E6-2F3A-4D89-81AB-8AFDDE5B10C9.jpeg

If you are interested in one of the few available Digital FM Radio/Tuner2 to back of MCU2 cables, there's a link to them on ebay. My partner on this project Teslatap.com, has made up about 10 or so. He reports he's not going to make any more. Parts a difficult to obtain and cable is difficult to make - simply not profitable and it was part of our effort to restore FM radio. The details to make the cable yourself are available on his page. This is the link to the project details and to the ebay item as long as its available. Because the ebay link will be available until the cables are gone, I am not posting the direct link here.

Background:
If you have followed the 'how to add FM radio back after MCU2 Upgrade (but not successfully activate)", you will remember a custom cable is necessary. The cable connects three points. One: Power from the original analog radio connector; two: digital FM or FM/XM radio tuner2, (power and comm to MCU) three (back of MCU2 to Ethernet twisted pair conn).

As of the date of this post, we have no leverage to use to get Tesla to activate the radio once its installed for the MCU2 Upgrade. But it might come later, and something like this cable is going to be necessary to connect, the digital tuner to the MCU and power it. This would be one of those ways.

• Love
Reactions: MIT_S60
If you are interested in one of the few available Digital FM Radio/Tuner2 to back of MCU2 cables, there's a link to them on ebay. My partner on this project Teslatap.com, has made up about 10 or so. He reports he's not going to make any more. Parts a difficult to obtain and cable is difficult to make - simply not profitable and it was part of our effort to restore FM radio. The details to make the cable yourself are available on his page. This is the link to the project details and to the ebay item as long as its available. Because the ebay link will be available until the cables are gone, I am not posting the direct link here.

Background:
If you have followed the 'how to add FM radio back after MCU2 Upgrade (but not successfully activate)", you will remember a custom cable is necessary. The cable connects three points. One: Power from the original analog radio connector; two: digital FM or FM/XM radio tuner2, (power and comm to MCU) three (back of MCU2 to Ethernet twisted pair conn).

As of the date of this post, we have no leverage to use to get Tesla to activate the radio once its installed for the MCU2 Upgrade. But it might come later, and something like this cable is going to be necessary to connect, the digital tuner to the MCU and power it. This would be one of those ways.
Totally reasonably priced! I'd love to buy one, but I think I'll leave it for somebody who actually will try replacing the Tuner (since I don't think I'll be able to get to it before my retrofit appointment). Thanks for doing this!