Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could be wrong, but I think metallic is a different story from pearl in terms of how it sprays. I know I've had metallic cars and didn't have this matching issue as bad.

Metallic is a pain in the ass to match too. The flakes can lay down differently and cause color differences at different angles.

But my point was that the OP was saying he should have picked from the colors that aren't so hard to match, but there aren't other "colors" like that. If any, you only have black as a choice then, and that color has its own challenges to keep looking good.

Reactions: Aphinity
Just got back from the estimator. Richmond Autobody in North Vancouver, for those interested, where I spoke to Patrick. He confirmed that he would recommend blending the fenders when they paint the hood, but he does not think blending the front bumper is necessary.

One interesting tidbit: Tesla apparently does not recommend removing and reusing the repeater cameras in the fenders, which have to be removed for the repainting. Apparently I'll be getting two new ones of those too.

The good news is that if the body shop does a good job you'll have stronger paint than factory.
Hmm, you think? I'm actually rather happy with the paint on my car, but it was only made in June, so perhaps that's why. I think they've improved things, if my car is any indicator. I really wish I didn't have to get the fenders repainted to match the pearl.

Gawd I hate pearl colours for this.

Sorry about the damage. That’s sucks.
I would think they will repaint the hood only.
That’s what every other body shop does with any colour.
It should match well, they have the paint codes.

What? My friend owned a body shop for years and they always blend. He was a master painter and particularly pissed off when he had to paint my metallic green door on my eclipse 17 times to get it perfect.

Just got back from the estimator. Richmond Autobody in North Vancouver, for those interested, where I spoke to Patrick. He confirmed that he would recommend blending the fenders when they paint the hood, but he does not think blending the front bumper is necessary.

One interesting tidbit: Tesla apparently does not recommend removing and reusing the repeater cameras in the fenders, which have to be removed for the repainting. Apparently I'll be getting two new ones of those too.

I would check that car carefully when its done, just looking at the damaged area on the hood, I can't see how they are not going to blend onto the bumper. What they probably going to do is give you the typical line of how the bumper always looks a different color anyway.

I would check that car carefully when its done, just looking at the damaged area on the hood, I can't see how they are not going to blend onto the bumper. What they probably going to do is give you the typical line of how the bumper always looks a different color anyway.
Yeah, I don't doubt it. To be fair, it already does, as I have paint protection film on the bumper and nowhere else.

I'll be careful. Thanks for the advice.

What? My friend owned a body shop for years and they always blend. He was a master painter and particularly pissed off when he had to paint my metallic green door on my eclipse 17 times to get it perfect.

I would think if blending is a perfect match, but my brother manages a body shop, and they rarely blend. Anyway. I am going by second hand info from someone who should know.
I guess any given shop could do it differently.

Does your neighbor hate you for having a new Tesla, cause how do you back up that camper truck without checking what's behind you before starting? And if he did check behind before starting, how did he hit you?
He runs one of those social media dog minding services, much to the detriment to the rest of us in the complex, but to his credit, keeps the noise down. He had a bunch of dogs in the back seat with him and has never had an issue before, but this time, misjudged things and, there you have it.

He came to my door, nearly in tears, to tell me. He has a Fiat Abarth and knows what my car means to me. I don't blame people for making mistakes; I only blame them if they try to cover it up. He was up-front, straight forward, extremely apologetic, and has been really cooperative. I cannot ask for more. The whole thing sucks, but honestly, it's just been my luck lately overall. Nobody was hurt and hopefully the car looks good-as-new when it's all done.

Reactions: tlr1000
He runs one of those social media dog minding services, much to the detriment to the rest of us in the complex, but to his credit, keeps the noise down. He had a bunch of dogs in the back seat with him and has never had an issue before, but this time, misjudged things and, there you have it.

He came to my door, nearly in tears, to tell me. He has a Fiat Abarth and knows what my car means to me. I don't blame people for making mistakes; I only blame them if they try to cover it up. He was up-front, straight forward, extremely apologetic, and has been really cooperative. I cannot ask for more. The whole thing sucks, but honestly, it's just been my luck lately overall. Nobody was hurt and hopefully the car looks good-as-new when it's all done.

Great attitude from both you and your neighbour. You guys must be Canadian! :)

Sounds like you've done the homework for the repair but another place I've had great results (although I don't have experience with pearl) is Korva. They are top notch.

Great attitude from both you and your neighbour. You guys must be Canadian! :)

Sounds like you've done the homework for the repair but another place I've had great results (although I don't have experience with pearl) is Korva. They are top notch.
Thanks man! Appreciated.

Yeah, Korva was on my list (my dad knows the owner) but I was told by my friend in the industry that they are no longer Tesla approved, meaning they can't get parts easily. Admittedly, I didn't call them to check though.

Thanks man! Appreciated.

Yeah, Korva was on my list (my dad knows the owner) but I was told by my friend in the industry that they are no longer Tesla approved, meaning they can't get parts easily. Admittedly, I didn't call them to check though.
‘Vic Gentile’ - sounds like a villain or the lead singer of a punk band, but he’s a nice fella

Korva aligned my hood just after my car was delivered - top notch work, and it should be considering the Marques they fix there

Anyone that knows what they’re doing can color match pearlized paint.

Our Buick also had Pearl White paint. Tell me which parts were repainted?

607DE924-6504-4201-8939-0EAE0988F28D.jpeg