Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hoodwinked by Tesla w/ Release of S70D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I literally just took delivery of my Model S 60 two days ago and Tesla released the Model S 70D, which gives a bigger battery and all wheel drive, for the same price (same options) as I paid for the S60 I just took delivery on.

Is anyone aware of any window of opportunity to return the S60 and upgrade since it has only been 2 days or have I been hoodwinked? I fell like the S70D just completely killed my resale value.

I literally just took delivery of my Model S 60 two days ago and Tesla released the Model S 70D, which gives a bigger battery and all wheel drive, for the same price (same options) as I paid for the S60 I just took delivery on.

Is anyone aware of any window of opportunity to return the S60 and upgrade since it has only been 2 days or have I been hoodwinked? I fell like the S70D just completely killed my resale value.

If you can upgrade to a 70kw battery for the same price.. Do it..

Welcome to TMC.

I must respectfully ask, did Tesla sell you the car that you chose at the price that you and Tesla agreed upon? If so, you were not hoodwinked.

Did you buy the car solely to resell it at the highest value possible in the near future? If so, your timing was unfortunate. But again, not hoodwinked.

I'm afraid I can't answer the question about returning the S60. Perhaps someone else has more information about immediate, post-sale returns.

I can understand that it's a bit disheartening to find one's expensive purchase superseded by something better, stronger, faster so soon. Much the same as with any other expensive, high-tech gadget. Those feelings are understandable. Saying you were hoodwinked seems, to me, quite inaccurate.

Read your sales agreement.
In Minnesota there is typically, as I recall, a three day grace period where you can return the car.
However, this is going off memory, so please read your sales agreement for a definitive answer.

Anyone is disappointed when a new something comes out right after they bought the old version. I feel for you, however you have the car you wanted, and ordered, and it is a beautiful car at that!

Contact your rep ASAP and go through your documents to see if you have any grace period. I know in previous cases of buyers remorse, the person had to eat the cost of depreciation after negotiating with Tesla, although it may have been over a longer time than just 2 days.

I think the issue is once the car is in your hands, it can't be sold as a new car anymore.

Timing is unfortunate, but 'hoodwinked' seems to imply they gave you something other than what you purchased. It doesn't sound like that's the case.

How long ago did you place your order? Sales people wouldn't have known about the 70kWh battery until recently. The car you ordered would have entered production long before this.

I'm sorry that you're not fully enjoying this new purchase - timing is unfortunate. But I don't think anyone set out to hoodwink you ...

I feel your pain- took delivery less than 3 weeks ago and I knew the next best thing would come along, just didn't think it'd be this soon. I even emailed my DS yesterday about trading up and will hopefully have price offer from the CPO program just to see, but then, I got back in my car and realized I am happy with what I have. Some small idiosyncrasies with the new order setup too, and I wouldn't want to lose my power lift gate.

Tesla is too classy to hoodwink us, in fact, I think they love me more than my kids do (but not more than my dog). You've got an incredible machine- there's nothing "standard" about it.

I think this is an artifact of Tesla's model of continuous improvement/updates as opposed to the classic "model year" style of making changes and improvements. When you buy a 2014 car, you naturally expect that the 2015's may have better features or options available. Not so with the Tesla way of doing things. This sentiment has been expressed many times here over the years.

I'm also looking at the 70D. It offers AWD, auto pilot, and only gives up 25 miles of range from my S85.

The choice between the 60 and 85, for me was logical at the only $8k difference, performance, and range offered. (10k minus 2k super charging)

the 70D to 85D is a $10k jump for 100 more HP and 35 more miles.... which to me? I'll keep my 10k! Especially considering the 70D is quicker to 60 than my S85 anyway!

Am I aggravated that my S85 may now be worth less money on trade to the X I want? Sure.

But I bought a car, for a price, and that's what I got. It's not possible to stop progress, and Tesla doesn't have the time to wait for model years. Even if they did... my 09 Tahoe doesn't have a heated steering wheel, but the 2010 does. Should I be mad at GM? I'm mad at them for building crap cars, but cars change...

The 70D, seems to me the best bang for your $. I'm in a similar budget tight car buying position. The Tesla really stretched my funds, but I love cars and I love tech. Combining them means a high rate of evolution... and possibly depreciation.

All I know is, I love the way my S85 rides, and with my CPO warranty I have zero fears of using that go pedal :)

I know Tesla is moving fast. My S 85 (delivered Sept 30) has autopilot hardware (I got lucky) but no all wheel drive. I took out the Tradein Tesla price guarantee to try and protect myself. The resale value is guaranteed and I know the limit of what my car will be worth. I am assuming they still have the buy back at a fixed price deal.

Since I ordered and received it, you can now get all wheel drive, black headliners, autopilot , multiple software updates and now the 70. I never saw a company move so fast

I took delivery of our 60 2 weeks ago. My requested delivery date was the end of May. For some "unknown" reason, the delivery was moved up to March. I'm a little frustrated that they didn't call me and offer me the option to swap in the 70D for the extra $1k. Even if they had, I'm not sure I would have taken it. If they refunded my $2k for supercharging, I would be a very happy camper;)

Reasons I'm satisfied with my 60:
-The Washington State EV Sales Tax credit is rumored to be completely dead ("heard from two different unreliable sources"). Getting the 70D by July 1 might be dicey.
-I have a proven and tested battery pack, I don't have to worry about being a beta user of a new battery configuration.
-I have a proven and tested motor, I don't have to worry about being an early adopter of new motor technology.
-In my opinion, it is always good to have 2-3 years of proven car technology before you adopt.
-The D "frunk" is tiny.
-The 70 is heavier than the 60, using more electricity.
-I don't drive in the snow very often, and when I do it is really serious snow in the mountains. I'm not sure I'm ready to switch from gas to electric for that task. Seattle snow creates crazy drivers, I would be terrified to take my beautiful new car out on snowy roads around the house.

My biggest complaint:
I love our new Tessla "Tessa" so much more than I expected that I wish I could take it more places. It goes 90% of the places we want to go, our SUV is just so boring for that last 10%. When we bought the car it was $8k to fill in the last 7% of places, I couldn't justify the cost. I figured if I invested the $8k I could by a new car sooner when the technology will be even better.

Read your sales agreement.
In Minnesota there is typically, as I recall, a three day grace period where you can return the car.
However, this is going off memory, so please read your sales agreement for a definitive answer.

Anyone is disappointed when a new something comes out right after they bought the old version. I feel for you, however you have the car you wanted, and ordered, and it is a beautiful car at that!

There's no grace period on a new car in Minnesota, the 3 day "cooling off" period applies to door to door solicitations. The only recourse is goodwill from Tesla or Lemon Law if there's a defect.

You have autopilot. There are literally tens of thousands of us who would kill for your car (who have version 1.0 Model Ss without the hardware). Count your blessings.
And watch your back. :p

Dear world. Tesla will introduce changes without notice. They do that so they can improve rapidly without having large losses in value of inventory of parts and cars. Do not believe any employee that ever tells you otherwise. Do not believe any employee that tells you no improvements are coming. Before committing to a purchase, ask yourself whether you will be comfortable if a major improvement comes shortly after you commit. If you aren't, ask yourself whether you are comfortable waiting an additional am day for a Tesla. If you are, don't commit. If you aren't compare your discomfort and choose the lesser of the two.

Isn't the 70D $5k more than the S60? I thought it was basically the same price as the never-actually-released 60D, which was $5k more than the S60.

I'd ordered a Brown 60D and had to upgrade to an Grey 85D when they dumped it. Now they've basically put the exact car I ordered back into production at the price I ordered for, but with 10 more kW in the tank. Ce La Vie. I friggin' love driving my car. The extra $10k came out of my kid's college funds anyhow.

Dear world. Tesla will introduce changes without notice. They do that so they can improve rapidly without having large losses in value of inventory of parts and cars. Do not believe any employee that ever tells you otherwise. Do not believe any employee that tells you no improvements are coming. Before committing to a purchase, ask yourself whether you will be comfortable if a major improvement comes shortly after you commit. If you aren't, ask yourself whether you are comfortable waiting an additional am day for a Tesla. If you are, don't commit. If you aren't compare your discomfort and choose the lesser of the two.

^^This, and learn to be smugly content with your now-classic-limited-edition (whether it be classic dolphin gray, brown, green, P85 or P85+) ... and then console yourself that you have about 2 years to get used to this continuous innovation thing before you plop down a deposit on that Signature Model 3 ;-)