Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hoodwinked by Tesla w/ Release of S70D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Tesla did send out an email on November 7th, 2014, to promote autopilot and dual motors. At the end of the email, they said this:

With the introduction of the Dual Motor and Autopilot, there will be no further significant platform changes to the Model S for about a year.

This turned out not to be true. I can see how someone who just bought a 60, or even an S85, might feel misled.

I just took a closer look at the design studio. It seems like they moved features all over the place into different packages. At first galnce the 70D seemed to be the same price as my 60 until I took a closer look at the new package configuration.

You have autopilot. There are literally tens of thousands of us who would kill for your car (who have version 1.0 Model Ss without the hardware). Count your blessings.

I got really lucky with the autopilot stuff, it was the first week. I don't regret not having any of the latest stuff. Tesla hoodwinked me into accepting a far better car than I ordered.

I can understand your concern, for me I generally keep my cars for at least 10 years and for my need the 60 works for me. I actually look at this as if it makes my car a one of a kind classic, not made anymore so no one else will have one.

2 weeks after I bought my inventory MS....Tesla changed the way they sold inventory pre-autopilot cars...long story short...cars with almost same configuration of mine were sold 3k-4k less. I even posted a thread in this forum and complained about the same. Even my DS was not aware of such changes.

Some even said "You got what you signed up for" which in a way is true.

I understand what you are going through. There were lot of P85+ owners who had spent well over $120K and were disappointed when P85D was introduced.

Tesla's way of doing business is totally different. Tesla comes up with new improvements every now and then.

That is one of the reason I was ( and ) happy with pre-autopilot car.

No matter what the experience is when purchasing this car... this car is really awesome and rest everything does not matter much...at least to me now.

I wish Tesla offers some compensation and you get a 70D car.

This is how they operate.. My car, built December of 2012, delivered Jan 2013 in a way has more features included in it (alacantra headliner, led lighting, etc) that are now pricey options, but is also missing features that were added later (I don't have power folding mirrors, no winter package was availble, not even parking sensors). on the other hand, I just priced a 70D, with similar features as to what I have (well,
i added winter package, but left off advanced sound and I do currently have XM)... point is the 70D optioned out to $86K, my car was $90K.. yes, I don't have dual motors and the winter package/auto pilot hardware, but I've enjoyed my car for 2 1/2 years now.

the point is, Tesla must keep moving forward, changing the options, reducing choices to make the assembly line move along etc.
This is a car, not an iPad, you're not going to be able to get every upgrade, or even every other update. just enjoy the car, and don't worry about the resale value, because, it's not a pretty picture.

I suggest buying some TSLA stock, in a few years, you'll have enough to trade in/upgrade from the profit, most likely :)

Last edited:
I literally just took delivery of my Model S 60 two days ago and Tesla released the Model S 70D, which gives a bigger battery and all wheel drive, for the same price (same options) as I paid for the S60 I just took delivery on.

Is anyone aware of any window of opportunity to return the S60 and upgrade since it has only been 2 days or have I been hoodwinked? I fell like the S70D just completely killed my resale value.

get a trade-in value ASAP! . this is what i did when i received my S85 in Sept 2014 w/no autopilot hardware and the D announcement was 2 weeks later. I got a trade in offer that i was comfortable with. This may work in your favor since the 70D now is priced not much higher with more features.

I got really lucky with the autopilot stuff, it was the first week. I don't regret not having any of the latest stuff. Tesla hoodwinked me into accepting a far better car than I ordered.
I also got lucky when i took delivery in September 14' that includes the autopilot. If they offer me to upgrade to the "D" for $4k which was the initial cost i would do it in a heartbeat

Two years ago, parking sensors first became available soon after my 60 was delivered. I thought "If I had only waited a few more weeks..." We just have to accept that the car will always be improving. You'll only have the latest and greatest for a short time, but the car you have will still be as great as when you bought it. Most people can't afford the depreciation hit by trading this car every year and just come to accept that there will always be an improved version coming along soon.

Two years ago, parking sensors first became available soon after my 60 was delivered. I thought "If I had only waited a few more weeks..."

I was actually told by a Tesla employee that parking sensors would be retrofittable when they became available. My early 2013 car apparently does not have the wiring, so it's a no-go for me. I was also told that my visors would be replaced with new ones sporting illuminated vanity mirrors. My car does have the 12v socket up in the headliner all ready for this, but that also became a no-go. (At least I can use that 12v harness for my dash cam).

I was actually told by a Tesla employee that parking sensors would be retrofittable when they became available. My early 2013 car apparently does not have the wiring, so it's a no-go for me. I was also told that my visors would be replaced with new ones sporting illuminated vanity mirrors. My car does have the 12v socket up in the headliner all ready for this, but that also became a no-go. (At least I can use that 12v harness for my dash cam).

Are you sure you car doesn't have the parking sensor wiring? Mine does (from February 2013). Still, it's an expensive retrofit. Talk to artsci. He has some info:

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning - Page 12

Are you sure you car doesn't have the parking sensor wiring? Mine does (from February 2013). Still, it's an expensive retrofit.

I was told (based on VIN or something) that it doesn't. Mine is a March 2013 car, but it also has an A-pack battery while I understand B-packs were being delivered as early as later December. I understand that Tesla would want to replace the whole bumper skin for some reason. Probably better to just go to a good 12 Volt shop and have them put in an after-market solution.

I was told (based on VIN or something) that it doesn't. Mine is a March 2013 car, but it also has an A-pack battery while I understand B-packs were being delivered as early as later December. I understand that Tesla would want to replace the whole bumper skin for some reason. Probably better to just go to a good 12 Volt shop and have them put in an after-market solution.

If you don't have the wiring, it's probably best to go third party. If you do have the wiring, well, talk to artsci.. he can tell you how he did it, and how to check for the wiring.

Welcome to TMC.

I must respectfully ask, did Tesla sell you the car that you chose at the price that you and Tesla agreed upon? If so, you were not hoodwinked.

Did you buy the car solely to resell it at the highest value possible in the near future? If so, your timing was unfortunate. But again, not hoodwinked.

I'm afraid I can't answer the question about returning the S60. Perhaps someone else has more information about immediate, post-sale returns.

I can understand that it's a bit disheartening to find one's expensive purchase superseded by something better, stronger, faster so soon. Much the same as with any other expensive, high-tech gadget. Those feelings are understandable. Saying you were hoodwinked seems, to me, quite inaccurate.

I feel the exact same sentiment as Rockster. It's unfortunate to have people saying Tesla 'duped' or 'hoodwinked' them because they released a different model after their purchase. Do you react the same way with your phone purchase? Or with your other cars? I doubt it. You realize that this tech is moving fast so you take a calculated risk and choose a point in time in the manufacturing that meets your wants/needs. I saw the 70 come out after I'd ordered my 85. It would've saved me some money, and I would've gotten all-wheel drive. No biggie. That's why I leased.

Do you react the same way with your phone purchase? Or with your other cars?

I don't totally disagree with your post, but Tesla does not act like other car manufacturer, nor like phone manufacturers. In the case of iPhone, or just about any car other than Tesla, you can count on a new model once per year. And with cars, we typically find out that a major redesign is coming well in advance. Perhaps a new battery pack does not count as major redesign, but I'm not sure that there is an analogy to that in traditional cars.

I don't totally disagree with your post, but Tesla does not act like other car manufacturer, nor like phone manufacturers. In the case of iPhone, or just about any car other than Tesla, you can count on a new model once per year. And with cars, we typically find out that a major redesign is coming well in advance. Perhaps a new battery pack does not count as major redesign, but I'm not sure that there is an analogy to that in traditional cars.

Here's a comment I had put into another thread.

I understand the ill will but I'd be hard pressed to say what else Tesla should do. They really only have a few choices:

a) Go with the "model year" process where significant changes are only made once per year. This causes a problem with the "Osborne effect" that you're seeing right now with the GM Volt. GM's existing model sales have completely collapsed in anticipation of the new model. And the remaining inventory of current models are being sold off at a loss. GM can weather this because they have many other vehicles paying the bills. Tesla would have major problems in that situation. They need a fairly steady revenue stream from their one product line.

b) Introduce minor and more major changes scattered throughout the year. You are certainly going to upset some people who wound up on the wrong side of the line. When this happens try to be as accommodating as practically (and financially) possible to people who want to upgrade. Hopefully the upsets are minor enough that it doesn't damage the brand overall. In this case, the revenue stream is pretty steady throughout the year.

c) Never innovate. Obviously this would lead Tesla straight into oblivion.

I think b is the lesser of evils. As they mature and become more financially stable, I suspect that they will go more to traditional model year upgrades. But, for now, we can expect more of this. I'm sure, that within the next 2 years we're going to see a number of very significant upgrades that will cause a lot of consternation:

a) A major battery upgrade. This will be a big one.
b) A complete vehicle styling/cosmetics revamp.
c) A major upgrade to all of the AP sensors when it becomes obvious that the current suite of sensors are fairly limited in capability.
d) A major upgrade to the computer & display system and iphone style sunsetting of some of the earlier ones.

It should be very exciting and interesting to watch.

Are you sure? My Sig had parking sensors retrofitted.