Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hoping more comfortable than 3, better handling than S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I almost bought the 3. In the performance version, it drove like it was on rails, but I found the seats too uncomfortable. Did not love the handling of the S. Hoping the Y is “just right.”

I'm expecting the same seats for both 3 and Y. The 2020 seats may be more comfortable than the seats you have.

I also expect similar suspensions. The ride between models is unlikely to be identical, but probably similar.

Reactions: preilly44
I would love it if they treated the Y more like a 3D hatch, rather than a CUV. Raising the CoG, among other nerfs becoming of a CUV, is sure to take away from the brilliant back road feel of the 3D. I hope i’m wrong!!!

I actually do not love the seats in our Model 3 Performance either, but for different reasons. I find the bolstering to be too soft and too shallow, and think that it doesn't hold me in as much as I would like for such a high performing car. I still own a 3 year old GTI, and think those seats -- while they have far less adjustability -- are far superior. It just feels like a sports car with the firm, bolstering and deep seat well. The M3P in comparison feels like a family sedan in this regard. When I'm taking turns aggressively, I feel like I'm sloshing all over the place, quite unlike the GTI.

In the M3P I also have a _huge_ problem with the fact that you can't adjust the amount that your head is pushed forward by the headrest. I feel like there's probably an industry term for that like "neck thrust" or something (lol), but I think that it feels a little like my head is being pushed forward too hard in relation to where my upper back is. It hasn't been a huge issue on longer drives, but just something I wish I could dial back a smidge.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

My model 3 seats are comfortable but seating angle and position was very different from my previous car of 12 years. Getting out of the 3 took more effort and strength but I got used to it after 2 months. I look forward to the higher seat position in relation to the ground on the Y.

Seats could be an age thing. I am 6’, my significant other is 5’2”, but I am 67, she is 68. I am not heavy, but found the seats kind of small. No problem with the S seats.

I don't find the seats too small, but also being in my 60s I find the seating position too low. I much prefer my X's seating positions. Seats are largely the same as the ones in the 3.

There is a video on the internet of someone who replaced the 3 seats with racing seats. It is a bit tricky, if doable, but you lose an airbag. At this point, I am not ready to go down that road, but maybe someday, especially if the Y does not handle the way I would like.

I hear that the Y and the 3 will have identical seats. Bummer for me. I may have to check out the racing seats! On a positive note, Tesla apparently is planning a supercharger closer to where I live, The only one in my area, I live in north Baltimore county, is a healthy hike south.

I hear that the Y and the 3 will have identical seats. Bummer for me. I may have to check out the racing seats! On a positive note, Tesla apparently is planning a supercharger closer to where I live, The only one in my area, I live in north Baltimore county, is a healthy hike south.

Generally one doesn't need a supercharger close to where they live, you need them close to where you're going. But it could be said that people that are coming from wherever they are to where you live could use one :)

Interesting comment on the seats. I had an E series Mercedes prior to my Model 3 and I feel like the M3 seats blow the Mercedes seats out of the water. And prior to the M3 I thought those Merc seats were the best thing since sliced bread! They had the upgraded leather (can't remember now what they call it but they looked sharp) and everything.

Anyhoo... i'm drooling over the Model Y for sure. I'm leasing my M3 so and I'm about 1 year in so as soon as it comes off lease, then I'll be getting the Model Y.

Reactions: Florafauna
Does anyone have the specs on the height difference of the 3 vs Y? Wondering if it's a significant difference than the 3 and hopefully closer to the MX.
EC1D7F26-1E18-488E-9129-6DC57D2FB4FC.jpeg

Reactions: bnsfengineer
Unfortunately you can't rule out not liking the seats. Seats that might fit one person great can be uncomfortable for the next person.

The Y front seats do appear to be identical to the 3, but we don't know that for sure.

The issue is not stopping me from ordering, but if you are fussy about seats (and you have every right to be when you are spending this much $), you might want to ask other forum members who have taken delivery if you can do a "test sit", or ask your local store if you can do a "test sit" on a Y being delivered.