Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hoping to buy my first Tesla - a used Model S - what should I look out for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks,
I'm test driving a used Model S here in the UK in a few days (after the Jubilee holiday). A 2018 75D with 49,000 miles on the clock.

1.jpg

It's been on the market a while and the price has dropped a few £000.
They are currently asking £43,500 which is $54,500 USD. The new price of the 75D in the UK was originally $91,500.
The ad says Enhanced autopilot, Premium connectivity, Premium sound (Ultra High Fidelity Sound), Subzero Weather package, CCS charger upgrade, Panoramic sunroof.

I have asked whether it has MCU 1 or 2 but the dealer hasn't got back to me, yet. They are selling it for the 1 private owner. It was registered March 2018.
I know that with 49,000 miles, it's going to be out of warranty.
YouTube says that generally it's a good car. I think it's beautiful.

Does it have Tesla cam recording? I really value that safety feature.

I have owned a Hyundai EV since 2017, so am familiar with EVs generally, but never owned a Tesla.
What should I look out for when viewing and test driving the car?

Many thanks for your advice.

seems like a good price , you will not be disappointed . I would highly recommend the mcu 2 upgrade , its a night and day difference in usability .

some things to check
daytime running lights , check they illuminate all the way round the headlight some had a tendency to burn out
door handles exterior , check operation of them all . A few failures are common
emmc recall for mcu1 or mcu 2 upgrade
listen out for drive train milling noises
not completely necessary , check if its the original battery , turn steering wheel to left look under drivers side front wheel arch at the battery sticker. a search on here will show what the info on sticker relates to .

Thanks for the replies.
MCU 2 is £1,700, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and £1,400, including installation, for all other vehicles.

Glad it has sentry mode. I have always had dashcams in my cars after a rock fell off a truck and hit my car and, of course, there was no evidence so there was nothing I could do to recover the repair fees.

Model S is my bucket list car, and the combination of red and those alloys is my favourite.
It's possible to get a new Model 3 standard range for the same money, but it's 9 months delivery on a model with extras (like non-white) and 12 for the cheapest.
I'll reply with the outcome.

Don’t get high hopes on the Enhanced Autopilot option, if it has been in the hands of a dealership, then you need to activate (i.e. purchase) it again. If the car is still registered to the original owner, then you need to know has it been activated, so it will pass over to new owner if the dealer will not be involved.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krash
Odd, but on a 22 mile journey yesterday, I saw 2 model Ss. The first, a black 2017 P100D and the second, a blue 2018 75D. The same as I'm test driving. Except the colour, of course.
I don't normally notice model Ss. Kind of feels like I'm meant to get this car.

I rang about this one. Points for me:

It could have between 1-999 miles of Manufacturer’s warranty left. If buying, take it straight round to Cleevley EV and get an inspection carried out then booked into Tesla to get any warranty work done.

It’s not a stock car its a commission sale, so is it still in use?

Budget the money for an MCU upgrade

Price is ok but i just paid £46.5k for a 2019 one that has done 28k miles and therefore has 6 months or 20k miles of Tesla Warranty on it.

Reactions: rickyjb
I rang about this one. Points for me:

It could have between 1-999 miles of Manufacturer’s warranty left. If buying, take it straight round to Cleevley EV and get an inspection carried out then booked into Tesla to get any warranty work done.

It’s not a stock car its a commission sale, so is it still in use?

Budget the money for an MCU upgrade

Price is ok but i just paid £46.5k for a 2019 one that has done 28k miles and therefore has 6 months or 20k miles of Tesla Warranty on it.
Its still in use and it’s done 53k miles, now, so no warranty. I’m told it’s in with Tesla now getting a memory upgrade. I don’t know what that means.
Given that it has enhanced autopilot and subzero package, what do you reckon is a good price?

Odd, but on a 22 mile journey yesterday, I saw 2 model Ss. The first, a black 2017 P100D and the second, a blue 2018 75D. The same as I'm test driving. Except the colour, of course.
I don't normally notice model Ss. Kind of feels like I'm meant to get this car.
It's called the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon. After becoming aware of something that you've never looked for before, you'll start to see it everywhere.

And yeah, just get it already. I purchased a 2016 90D a few years ago from Tesla as a used car. Got it for almost half off the original price. I've had a few door handle issues, but they were covered under the 2 year warranty from Tesla, otherwise $400 a piece. That's pretty much the only issue I've had.

I was like you with a Model S being a bucket list car. I also use my car to haul a lot of stuff (kitchen cabinets when we did a remodel, kids playground set, lumber to build a driveway gate, etc.) and it has been an absolute champ! Laying down the back seats gives you SO much versatility beyond what a Model 3 could ever give you.

When I saw the thread title, I was going to warn against getting a 90D due to battery chemistry. It seems to have degraded a bit more than even the older 85's; but that's not relevant. The rest of what you have is a huge plus to getting an older car, especially the sunroof. Those aren't around anymore so you HAVE to get an older one if you want that (and it's HUGE).

I second the MCU upgrade. I haven't done mine yet, but will be doing it sometime this year. I had the eMMC recall done but I still seem to have some issues. Post up when you pull the trigger and drive that baby home! You'll love it!

Its still in use and it’s done 53k miles, now, so no warranty. I’m told it’s in with Tesla now getting a memory upgrade. I don’t know what that means.
Given that it has enhanced autopilot and subzero package, what do you reckon is a good price?
well the mileage has gone up 4k and the price hasnt moved

i like this one

£2k more but 20k less miles and has MCU2 so that's £300 more in reality = much better VFM

they dropped the price by £1k on thursday

Reactions: Krash and SilverGS
well the mileage has gone up 4k and the price hasnt moved

i like this one

£2k more but 20k less miles and has MCU2 so that's £300 more in reality = much better VFM

they dropped the price by £1k on thursday
How do you know it has MCU2?