Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horizontal Wind Turbines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK. This is totally off topic but I know that there are so many internet surfers out there that might be able to help me I am posting anyway. I was recently watching a TV show and I don't know what channel but it was on new green technology - now that I say that in writing maybe it was like ECO-TECH or something like that. Discovery channel or something. Any way I saw a wind turbine that was designed for city use. That could be mounted horizontally and worked in VERY low wind from wind in all directions because of the double helix design. It was designed to easily be mounted to roof tops in the city. I am trying to get more information on it to see if it is feasible for me to get one. Does anyone have any insight on this to add.....

Pac Wind?
Pac-Wind_turbine_95x95.jpg

Broadstar AeroCam?
aerocam1.jpg

Helix Wind?
helixwind.jpg

Loop Wing?
loopwing.jpg

Something else here?:
Directory:Home Generation:Wind Turbine - PESWiki

You most probably mean that companies product:

homeowners | quietrevolution

anyhow - we have a lot of experience with wind turbines here in Austria.
They may be green but they are a pain - especially wind farms are a visual and audible pest.

For most of GB that may not matter much but for a nice landscape its more a sickness then a solution.
They are annoying loud, unstable in construction at best, and ugly as Bush and Laura dancing Chachacha.

I have looked at the ones you guys have found as well and they are definately not it. This was VERY compact and mounted HORIZONTALLY on a roof top and stood about 4-5 feet tall. Almost not noticeable from the ground which is why I liked it. Visually they are not the best I agree but this was made for city use hidden away on a roof top. Worked in very low wind speeds and wind from all directions. Looked like a combination of Turby and Quietrevolution but on its side horizontally.

Saying wind farms are ugly is at best subjective. Personally I think some of the machines are quite graceful.

A single item probably is not so ugly per se - but if you see hundereds of them packed on a tight place , and thats the case at all the windfarms, (look at the north German coastline spilled by the turbines e.g.) not even a blind can claim thats a pretty sightning - as they are quite loud as well.
Besides a danger to nature as birds fly into them.

I think modern solar panels / solar paint are a far better, as hidable solution.

Wind turbines and wind farms are beautiful. I lived in Northern Califoriia and would regularly drive the hills marveling at the kinetic beauty of the wind machines turning. The site is mesmorizing and the idea that they are creating clean renewable fuel just makes them all the more special.

Finkenbusch has stated a falsehood about the bird issue. There have been many studies about birds and wind turbines. There is simply no problem. Birds can see the regular motion of the blades and almost never fly into them. One study said there a 90,000 bird deaths flying into glass buildings in Califorina every year. The bird count for equal land windfarms in around 7 deaths. Windfarms are wholly endorsed by the Audubon society (the bird watching people) citing the deaths from clean windmills are far fewer than most every other power generating factories and the positive impact on nature re: global warming. Audubon's Position on Wind Power
Quote," On balance, Audubon strongly supports wind power as a clean alternative energy source that reduces the threat of global warming."

As for Solar panels, they are great but are only part of a complete energy solution as they sleep all night.

Several thin-film solar companies (e.g., FirstSolar) are already manufacturing and moving to larger facilities and ramping up production. Nanosolar is in production and looking to scale up big-time this year. They can produce 1GW worth of cells per year.

Nanosolar's technology is probably what you are thinking of when you talk about "printing" cells, since that's pretty much how they do it.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard anything new about the flexible solar panels that are "printed" on a form of plastic. Is that technology a reality yet ?

Kevin, below is the last email I received from nanosolar, I believe that's the company that you're talking about. I got the email on June 19th.

Dear Nanosolar friend:
We wanted to let you know of a major milestone in solar energy technology we have now achieved: The solar industry's first 1GW production tool.
Yes, that's 1GW of capacity from a single production tool!
You can see it yourself in action in a video we have decided to release and share with you.
Most production tools in the solar industry tend to have 10-30MW in annual production capacity. So how is it possible to have a single tool with Gigawatt throughput?
This feat is fundamentally enabled through the proprietary nanoparticle ink we have invested so many years developing. It allows us to deliver efficient solar cells (presently up to more than 14%) that are simply printed.
Printing is a simple, fast, and robust coating process that in particular eliminates the need for expensive high-vacuum chambers as traditionally used to deposit thin films.
Our 1GW CIGS coater cost $1.65 million. At the 100 feet-per-minute speed shown in the video, that's an astonishing two orders of magnitude more capital efficient than a high-vacuum process: a twenty times slower high-vacuum tool would have cost about ten times as much per tool.
There's still a lot of hard work to be done for us to bring solar power everywhere. But at this time we wanted to share with you our excitement about transformational progress happening.
Thank you for your continued support of Nanosolar. While deployment of our product will focus over the next 12 months on installations with our wholesale customers (which includes the world's largest utility), we are looking forward to making our products more broadly available to everyone in 2009.
Martin Roscheisen
CEO, Nanosolar Inc.

IF Nanosolar can deliver IF - THAT would be the ultimate solution.

Think of paining not only your car but your house or any bridge or construction and get at least partially (national as well as individual) independence.

That would mean a dream come true.

Harsh reality is that currently dominating major market forces will find a way to kill / buy everything spitting in their oil based (and aligned & interconnected) business up and hide the technology deep down in their cellars.

UNLESS (and thats my hope)
USA / Israelis real & honest security concerns are becoming stronger they may be able to overpower the dark forces which in fact highjacked our whole society.

The first time I see something positive in the idiotic carried out US lead "war against terror and against the rest of the world" - while at the same time like a junky / hooker holding hands (and massaging balls with US dollars) of the radical wahabitic clerics for the next needle shot - of oil.

Feeding the snakes nest.

Due to US cleverness the Nanosolar technology should be ripe / ready soon for mass-marketing. We shall certainly find out in due time what is more important - big companies values and WH corruption or true, honest, far looking national security interests.

A "change we can believe in" is our chance

The only one.

Last edited:
I think that looks cool. I like the look of that, just as TEG said.
Cobos

Umm, I think you meant VFX...

You know, with wind turbines, you have to maintain them to keep them operational. Sometimes I have seen fields with wind turbines with many of them that aren't working. That cuts into the appeal quite a bit.

You have to hope that the company that runs them is willing to fix or remove them when they get broken or wear out.

A couple of examples:
www.windaction.org | 'Remove broken turbines'
Broken wind turbines, South Point, HI by Alan Shteinberg Fine Art Prints and Posters