Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few days ago on my 2014 Tesla Model S P85 with 99,399 miles, the horn and voice command stopped working. Interestingly enough though, anytime I get into my car, the voice command is activated and I have to either cancel it or let it time out. Horn from the mobile app works fine. Also, resetting the instrument cluster with holding the Skip and Voice Command buttons work. So I’m wondering if this is just a bug in the software.

I tried hard resets and full factory reset, and after a few days same issue. So I decided, since I’m out of warranty, to see if I can fix it myself.

I searched around but didn’t see anyone with the same issue. However I found a few people who took the steering wheel cluster off. I powered off the car and unscrewed the two screws behind the steering wheel and unplugged the brown and yellow plugs. I checked the contacts and it all looks okay and brand new. I also unplugged the power and “data?” Plugs from both ends of the steering wheel cluster where the controls would sit. However I didn’t see anything for the horn. I saw the two plugs for the air bags which I did not touch, just pressed to make sure it’s secured.

After plugging everything back, it still doesn’t work. Not sure what else to check. Any ideas?

58E61195-AFF8-46A3-8C86-CCABD4A51E63.jpeg
63DF6276-FE63-4BA5-B29E-C7373FC9AC83.jpeg
1CD722E0-0083-48BE-9E16-E2B4F00E378E.jpeg
F1DF7836-1938-45EF-88C0-0C727E8B4FC8.jpeg
DD0A902C-7448-447F-885F-F2B1764029C4.jpeg
4DCFA8EF-7BA9-4D52-A031-3DBCF7C8FD2F.jpeg
A264DFB8-5AB6-4F9A-9B3B-9E4EB4F28626.jpeg
A14CAC74-262D-4B2E-A4A3-15246D775780.jpeg

image.jpg
I noticed there may be 2 micro switches or contacts where it presses down? Take a look at this picture. I loosened up the two top bolts a little bit so that the button can fully extend out. But I can’t figure out where they are wiring to, it seems like nothing it running from those two contacts.

Update: Horn still doesn’t work from the steering wheel (mobile app does) and neither does the voice command button, after re-plugging all connections except for airbag. I’m convinced it is a firmware or system bug.

Last edited:
It is most likely a break in the clock spring that allows the steering wheel to turn without flexing the wires.

Interesting. I did notice a strange tiny sound coming from the steering wheel anytime that it positions itself to my driving profile from Easy Entry. It seems to have started around the time this problem came up. This may be it. Thanks. I'll take a look.

Tesla is charging $195/hr for diagnostics to even see what the actual issue is, plus another $4-500 says tech but not 100% sure. Not sure what to do because if I try to fix it myself it’ll be at least $100 and that’s for a used part, no guarantee.

I decided to just go with Tesla on this one. Used parts on eBay go for about $100-$200 used, and those are for the assembly that is even older than my 2014. It has the old style gen stocks, so I don't know how that would be compatible. I seen how to repair clock springs and it doesn't seem too difficult with patience and a brain in IT, but it is not fail proof so I decided to go with new at Tesla.

They said it is $280 for a brand new assembly, which includes the clock spring and stocks, IF that is the issue. Labor is $100. So ~$400 (labor included and rough taxes) for new clock spring/stocks assembly, IF that is the cause. I will keep posted with how it goes. I go in on Friday. This is the first thing I am paying for out of pocket for my car after warranty so I guess not too bad...

Also going in for driver side door handle seal, window noises (may be related) which costs about $120 with labor, parts and taxes. Also getting my passanger side swap bar link replaced after I was able to open up the bushing after diagnosing myself the rattle I've been having. It is about $50 for the part and $50 for labor to replace that. I MAY go with their re-torquing of front suspension parts/inspection which is about $60 each side to inspect and re-torque everything. May give me peace of mind to do that. All in all it'll all cost me $900 or less worst case scenario.

Bes

Oh ok, and now your horn/voice Command work? , I also start from my steering wheel buttons and see if it fixes my horn.

thank for your help
Sorry for late reply. So yeah, once they replaced that switch everything started to work again. I only had a few buttons that worked in the steering wheel. I can only assume that the non working horn and switches was repaired by replacing of that switch. They didn’t say anything else was changed or repaired.