TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Horn sound

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by NJS1207, Jul 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

2. artsci

artsci Sponsor

When my car arrives in the spring and the front bumper is removed for installation of some other mods, I'm going to have a Wolo Air Mite 3 triple tone air horn installed. Click here for the sound: http://www.wolo-mfg.com/405-stereo.wav

I've added loud air horns of this kind to most of my cars. Saved an collision or a pedestrian more than a few times

405b.jpg

3. HFh

HFh Member

It doesn't have to be a probability distribution, if we are going to glory in our pedantic selves. The median denotes or relates to a "value or quantity lying at the midpoint of a frequency distribution of observed values or quantities". More practically, it is "the middle number in a given sequence of numbers, taken as the average of the two middle numbers when the sequence has an even number of numbers". Frequency distribution isn't the same as probability distribution (see last definition, or imagine any distribution with two values with one having the most of the probability).

Of course, one is almost always assuming a normal distribution of intelligence, and in that case the median and the mean are the same.

Frankly, I don't see how any of this helps me decide whether to get jump seats or not ;)

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Sounds about the same to me.

5. dailydriver

dailydriver Member

Three weeks into my Model S and I have not had to use the horn yet, but I most certainly will soon enough. There are plenty of bad drivers out there (especially in Chicago) that require some audible alerts to your presence. This is could be more important with pedestrians that won't hear the EV. I'll have to test it out next time I am in the car!

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Whether or not the pedestrians hear the car coming it's the driver's responsibility not to hit them. Honking a horn shouldn't enter into it. (At least that's what I was taught)

7. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Color me happy then!

8. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

Thanks brianman. Very appreciative.

Standard, but not wimpy.

Will do the trick but I will secretly still want an air horn that sounds like freight train or semi truck.

Cheers.

9. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

You might find that this is installable from the inside with the Frunk covers removed.

10. strider

strider Active Member

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

The Model S needs an pedestrian horn too. Driving through parking lots silently it's nice to have a little brrp sound to lightly inform them of your presence. I talked with the new projects guy at Tesla and he said everything is already in the car to make this on the steering wheel stalk "brights flash" switch. I look forward to some upgrade to include this practical feature.

12. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

So long as it isn't that cheesy Fisker Karma sound that is the audio equivalent of an underbody glow light kit...

Cheers.

13. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I tested the horn several times yesterday at the Washington DC store. It won't disappoint. It's very loud and has an excellent air horn-like tone. Don't know if it's actually an air horn, but it sounds like one. I have very high standards for horn volume and tone and Model S met them with flying colors.