Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We picked up our model Y from the Red Hook, Brooklyn location last year. We hadn't gotten out of the bay and my wife noticed the low tire pressure indicator was on. I called over the SA and he said to bring it around to the service bay, Was told by the tech that "sometimes they don't put air in all the tires." :confused: He pumped it up and off we went. Next day was a road trip to Virginia and in Maryland, the light came on again on a Friday evening. Guess what? I had a big honking nail next to the sidewall. I'll spare you the details but Tesla was very good with the service. We pumped up with tire temporarily and continued to Virginia. Tesla called us at 10:30 PM to make sure that we were ok and to make an emergency appointment for the replacement of the tire when service was open again in Virginia Beach.

Everyone's experience is different, but hopefully Tesla will take care of the issues. Today is the end of the quarter so that probably factored into the issue. Red Hook service has been good so far with the things that we needed done. I'm sure you will be back up and running soon! Don't let it taint your opinion of the car. They are great rides to have in all of the traffic here and make driving (almost) pleasant in Brooklyn.
Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope everything gets resolved for us quickly too!:)

Totally understandable for OP's dissatisfying experience. 60K+ would normally get you an impeccable delivery experience in dealership like Lexus. However, Tesla's staff aren't trained to do that. They don't view Model 3 or Y as luxury. I'm due to pick up my vehicle in Redhook too, I'm not expecting anything. After all, this is NYC we are talking about.
Thank you for being understanding. It is my first time owning an electric vehicle so it was a new experience... I hope you have a positive experience picking up your car and check everything, just in case!😀

Why didn’t you take all the time you needed to inspect the vehicle before delivery? They weren’t gonna give the car to someone else for making them wait on you to do the paper work. Why was the delivery rep sitting in the car in the first place; did you ask her to get in to look at something that was amiss, say the dusty dash or misspelled name on the touchscreen. BTW it’s not really standard procedure for the delivery person to set up anything in the vehicle, especially since covid, they usually just give you the key card and send you on your way. Also just curious what’s a “regular English name”? Would it be more acceptable to get the name spelling incorrect if it were one of those “weird” Asian or Spanish names?

Listen, I absolutely hate when other posters on this site flame people who complain about their cars and call them trolls. I’m usually the first person to defend someone who has come to this site to voice honest feedback about problems with the vehicle BUT, you do seem like a Karen. If there is something wrong with the vehicle that a micro fiber towel and some chemical guys products can’t fix then you have a legitimate complaint. I hope they’re able to resolve your door and dent issues to your satisfaction, but based on the tenor of your post I’m not holding my breath.
The rep sat in the car to assist us with setting up everything inside the vehicle. I just meant that the name isn't very difficult to read and I politely corrected her when I noticed it was misspelled on the screen. She also proceeded to call him the wrong name and I didn't correct her either. I was just giving all the details of the experience I had, but did not act rude or mean towards the rep whatsoever. I think the overall experience was just disappointing because I was very much looking forward to picking up my Tesla Y and then to discover that there are door/dent issues was frustrating when the experience itself was not so great in terms of picking up a dirty brand new car. I'm absolutely not a Karen, but I can see how the original post of my frustrations may seem so 😅

When you are buying a new car, particularly a more expensive than average one, it’s not too much to ask that it be delivered spotlessly clean and not damaged. The 3 and Y that I bought this year were both just about perfect. Yours should have been too. I suspect your car was a delivery refusal that they rerouted to you. How many miles did it have on it?
Hmm the car only had 6 miles on it so I don't think that was the case? Unless during inspection, they refused the vehicle. Not sure how that works, but starting to get the vibe that purchasing towards the end of the quarter= inspect carefully before signing papers 😅 I'm glad to hear that because we have other family members who are picking up their new purchases this year!

Post photos of the gap & alignment issues. It can help people tell if it is risky to fix or not.

Tesla customer service has been pretty good for me. I bought the car in 12/2021 and like yours I noticed issues after driving off. I had misaligned front driver side door, rear driver side door, rear passenger side door & rear hatch had large gap on one side where meets passenger rear panel and hardly any gap (too small) on other side. Trunk made snare drum thrashing sounds when going over moderately rough surfaces and cabin pressure changes resulting in ear pressure. First tesla service center said everything in spec. Second service center said everything was out of spec (they’ll fix it) except one item. Tesla sent car to a well known body shop. Car came back with everything fixed even the issue Tesla said they wouldn’t fix. No more trunk noise and cabin pressure changes too.

Hello TMC, I was so frustrated with my recent experience with my brand new 2022 Model Y that I decided to join this community so no one else has to go through what we went through and also ask for advice on what I should do. Disclaimer: We love Tesla and everything that it stands for, but extremely disappointed by the quality and customer service. You would expect the service to be phenomenal, if not on par with most luxury vehicles out on the market but the difference is substantially lacking.

Storytime: We picked up our new Model Y in Brooklyn and was extremely excited, but upon the inspection noticed that there was some minor issues on the exterior of the car. I noticed there was smudges on the hood/side of the car and the sales associate saw me meticulously checking so she came over with a rag and started wiping the car, explaining that the car just got detailed and "don't worry about it". Upon this interaction, she mentioned she'll give us another minute or two to inspect the vehicle before setting up everything and handing the key cards to us. I also noticed that the car plates were already installed, whilst another couple's sale associate was installing it during their inspection. This already felt like a red flag to me so I was trying to inspect the car carefully, but the process was so quick that all of a sudden we were setting up everything inside the car. The attention to detail was evidently lacking-- the sales associate misread my husband's name a few times and even set it up wrong in our car, which I finally corrected her for and then she still proceeded to say his name wrong throughout the experience 😒 The name isn't even hard... literally a regular English name...

During the inspection, I did also mention that the car wheels and side doors were dirty and she didn't have much to comment on it since another department details the car and sends it over to them... I would think that they would check everything before just handing the car over to the owners? Another thing to note is that the car only had one paper car mat in the driver's side, but she was sitting in the passenger side and obviously stepping on the floor during the inspection and didn't bother to put another one there. I basically had to ask her for another one before she drove the vehicle out of the garage for us. She ended up taking a paper place mat from another vehicle and mentioned that they usually come with one... I don't know if this is a policy, but sounds to me like carelessness or just being cheap...

Upon leaving the garage, I immediately noticed that the car dashboard is extremely dusty/dirty. I was already annoyed by the entire experience and attributed it to the fact that Tesla focuses on the technology and not the luxury experience that most car dealerships provide and tried to keep a positive mindset. However, it was also clear to me that the car was not detailed and definitely not inspected prior to handing it off to us-- I ended up finding hair in the cup holders, random scratches in the interior, and the left panel was broken near the hazard lights. There was also spider webs in the rear doors, like wtf?? In addition, the key cards that she gave us was also scratched up... 😑 That's when I started to feel extremely frustrated. We just paid 60K+, but did not have the "new car" experience. Later on in the day, someone who knows more about cars happened to see our brand new Tesla Y and pointed out that there was a dent on the driver side of the car... Can this get any worse? Spoiler, YUP 😓

We ended up going back to the Tesla center and an associate inspected the vehicle, took photos of the dent, and apologized for the horrible experience we had. They both explained that this is a one-off situation and would have the service team fix the dent and give us a credit for detailing. So far there's just a bunch of going back and forth and sending in photos for the issues, which I had to adamantly follow up on. Tesla asked for more photos and that's when I noticed that my rear door was bulging out slightly, thinking I left my door open, but nope. The door isn't aligned correctly so it can't properly close all the way. Upon further inspection, I realized that there is uneven gaps between panels in the trunk area and basically the entire backside of the car is not aligned properly. All this has been documented and provided to the original associate assisting up, but he has handed our issues over to someone else.

We just received a call from her today and she mentioned that she would need more photos of the dent. When we brought the car in, the associate took photos and we have sent in images, plus a video which clearly indicates the dent. And now she wants more photos? At this point, I feel like they're just pushing it off and wasting my time. We also brought up the issues with the gaps and our door not closing properly, but read online that other issues can arise from getting this fixed. Her advice was practically saying that what we read online is true and it's up to us if we want to get it fixed. What would you guys advise in regards to this situation? Is it worth it to get it fixed? Is it possible to just get a brand new vehicle? Has anyone else ever experienced something like this?

I hope no one else experiences this and make sure you meticulously check everything in daylight before signing any paperwork!!!😭
I feel bad for your experience- I hope mine coming up is better - one answer was correct that for this forum best to seperate things that annoyed you from a dent on car door - the no commission set up for Tesla showroom staff can lead to an not so great attitude -

I wouldn't consider Tesla a luxury car. The price point is definitely around the price range of luxury but that's it. The sales associates are just there to get you out the door. I bet the guys detailing the car are just like a car wash. Wash, clean, dry, quick vacuum with a quick wipe down of the dash. Was the dash actually dusty or was it just left over fuzzy stuff from the towel they used? Same thing a $10 quick wash would do.
If it’s that easy, they should have done it before @_dearkat came to pick up the car. Tesla may not be a luxury car, but they are in the same price range and the luxury market is part of their competition.
Audi Scenario: If I was getting paid a huge commission from selling a luxury car, you bet the experience I provide would be impeccable. You want word of mouth to spread that you offered an exceptional experience so you can get more customers.

Tesla Scenario: These guys are not getting commission. They are doing what the job entails. Get you in the car, educate you and get you out the door. Don't expect to much from them. Why would they need to go above and beyond? Car is sold.

I don't understand why people keep comparing the 2 experiences.
And I don’t understand why people make excuses for Tesla in this regard. It shouldn’t matter whether they’re making a commission or not - I don’t expect gourmet coffee and a massage, but I do expect competence and professionalism.

Once you owned Tesla for a while, you will learn not to expect attention to details, premium experience, treat you like a King from customer service, and premium build quality, but the technology is great!. I owned Lexus, Acura and Genesis before, Lexus is still the best. Tesla service on the other hand, around 25-30 % of the time in my experience, took 3 tries to fix a problem, even scheduling recalls took 3 times (when I asked simple question is my car affected and when can I schedule the check, they literally reply Hey Mr, we are not only serving you!). eventually they will get it right though.
And this is the unfortunate realization I’m coming to. I bought a $65k car with some cool tech but a company that places more priority on adding games and light shows than they do on having a good interface. A company that doesn’t seem to care about quality control. A company doesn’t really care about its customers. A company that is promising some cool self driving tech but can’t get basic adaptive cruise that’s available in cars 1/3rd the price to work properly. Sadly, if someone asks me now if they should get a Tesla my answer is probably not. They are no longer the only EV game in town. There is ample competition and more coming up fast. When the reality catches up to their reputation Tesla is going to be in trouble.

Funny, I also picked up my 2016 Q5 in 2016 and the car had deep scratches all the way around. I find them the day after the pick up since I picked up the car at night and I could not see those scratches. After that the B pillar rattle, pano roof rattle, headlight fogging, buggy infotainment, failed body control modules, etc forced me to sell the car after 2 years of headaches.
I mentioned my experience when buying an Audi, but we had the same experience when we bought our Odyssey, a used Subaru and even a cheap Saturn Ion that we leased years ago. People justifiably trash car dealers and the car dealer model that Tesla is trying to upend, but if Tesla is going to do a crap job, maybe the car dealer model has some merit.

If Tesla keeps delivering cars with sloppy assembly and treating customers like crap they will lose the market they essentially owned.
First tesla service center said everything in spec. Second service center said everything was out of spec (they’ll fix it) except one item. Tesla sent car to a well known body shop. Car came back with everything fixed even the issue Tesla said they wouldn’t fix. No more trunk noise and cabin pressure changes too.
The fact that the first service center claimed everything was ‘in spec’ when it was clearly out of spec and confirmed by another service center is frankly appalling.

What really blows my mind is the number of people that are willing to defend Tesla in areas like this. Is the Koolaid really that good? The dealer model stinks, but if the alternative is a service center model with people who don’t give a damn, don’t bother to make sure a new car is clean and without defects before pushing you out the door with it and treat customers like crap, is it really better than the dealer model?

I had also pickup my car in Red hook, it is not the best for lighting so some things can be missed. The thing to do is go to your tesla app and setup a service call for the problems you found. You can select and SC that you would like to go to (maybe not brooklyn, they are swamped) You will find that at some point, all the problems will be solved, have patience. In my case, there were misaligned rear panel to the bumper and we found a hole in the fake leather of the center console, all these were repaired at the SC all under warranty. Let the app be your friend, it will help you with most problems. The Tesla Roadside assistance has been great and most of the people at the SC will work out the problems with you.

Reactions: 101dals
I wouldn't consider Tesla a luxury car. The price point is definitely around the price range of luxury but that's it. The sales associates are just there to get you out the door. I bet the guys detailing the car are just like a car wash. Wash, clean, dry, quick vacuum with a quick wipe down of the dash. Was the dash actually dusty or was it just left over fuzzy stuff from the towel they used? Same thing a $10 quick wash would do.

It doesn't take that long to quickly inspect your car. You had your husband there with you so it should have been pretty quick. I feel like people are going in expecting they'll find something wrong which in all honestly is the wrong game plan since it puts your in such a negative mindset when actually looking over your car. It does seem based on your description of events that the sales associate was trying to be helpful even though she wasn't doing an amazing job. You wasted time just getting nitpicky about stuff being dirty. If you were truly unhappy, you should have just rejected the car.

Its unfortunate that you did find some things wrong with your car and I'm sorry to hear that the car wasn't perfect. The car I had delivered to my house yesterday was flawless. You set your expectations to high... Let Tesla fix your stuff if you want it done but I honestly think you should take a chill pill. Your impatience with the sales associate probably didn't make your experience better.

I still can't believe you complained about the stuff below:
  1. Dirty door/dirty rims
  2. Dust/spider webs
  3. the disposable paper floormat
  4. Misspelling your husbands profile name in the car
  5. having the plates put on.
  6. scratches on your key cards...
Warranted stuff:
  1. Semi unprofessional sales associate rushing you
  2. dent in your door
  3. panel alignment issues.
Aren't dealers required to install the front license plate holder on cars in states where front plates are mandated? I mean doesn't mean that all cars will have a front plate installed at delivery, but aren't they supposed to install them?

Audi Scenario: If I was getting paid a huge commission from selling a luxury car, you bet the experience I provide would be impeccable. You want word of mouth to spread that you offered an exceptional experience so you can get more customers.

Tesla Scenario: These guys are not getting commission. They are doing what the job entails. Get you in the car, educate you and get you out the door. Don't expect to much from them. Why would they need to go above and beyond? Car is sold.

I don't understand why people keep comparing the 2 experiences.
Forget the Audi experience, at least give people the Chevy experience. LOL
I've taken delivery of 6+ GM vehicles in my life (and 1 Honda) and every time the cars have been impeccable inside and out. Not saying they were perfectly built, but they were detailed and looked like a showroom vehicle.

FWIW, my FIL took delivery of his Model Y on Monday, and his Y was delivered in great shape. Your mileage may vary with Tesla. And can vary a LOT. ;)

Reactions: sleepydoc
Aren't dealers required to install the front license plate holder on cars in states where front plates are mandated? I mean doesn't mean that all cars will have a front plate installed at delivery, but aren't they supposed to install them?
No Tesla doesn't pre-install front plate. You can go back to SC to have them installed once you receive actual plate, but they don't drill holes or mount bracket at delivery, and frankly that's a good thing. I don't want them drill holes there.

Maybe it was made on a Monday or Friday? My 2022 Y was a day and night difference from my 2020 Y as far as build quality and fit and finish. It did show up on a flat bed to my house, there were bugs on the side view mirrors. Can’t win them all I guess?

Here’s a photo of a delivery issue on my 2016 XC90, a $70k+ vehicle:

Attachments

• 52BA4C35-5FB7-4D66-BE62-1B200C1C3CDD.jpeg
    52BA4C35-5FB7-4D66-BE62-1B200C1C3CDD.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 109
The sales associate setup your car?? Aren't Tesla deliveries supposed to be interaction-free? My delivery was interaction-free.
My experience at Palm springs Tesla service center was interaction free. After visual inspection they gave me key cards and copy of paperwork completed online and said to get them if I needed help pairing phone etc. i was able to setup car and pair phone myself following the guided tutorial within phone app & I brought my own setup instruction notes. if you need help, I suspect they will try to offer customer service 🤷‍♂️ .

Status
Not open for further replies.