Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry. Keith. you didn't get sucked in. you volunteered to become a part of alternate reality that the majority disagrees with. As far as I remember, I am on the Tesla forum calling out those people who want to spread fear and incorrect information as the majority opinion, which is clearly false, and I am correcting them one by one while those "trolls" gang up on me like *itches LOL :cool:
not my first rodeo with you, keyboard warriors~

Trolling on several forums makes you an expert troll... not an informed consumer.

Good luck with pumping Tesla stock, you may end up rich... if so, enjoy it. Just don't pretend you are taking the moral high ground while doing so.

Keith

Reactions: bobbyjae
Please read the OP's post. By the way you will learn that other legacy car dealers have equal or worse stories about the service and workmanship including mine.
Those stories about other dealerships are all lies! Lies I tell you! Every dealership on earth other than Tesla is perfect!!! If you disagree with me you are a GM stock short seller, a liar, and a fool all rolled into one!!!

Keith

Those stories about other dealerships are all lies! Lies I tell you! Every dealership on earth other than Tesla is perfect!!! If you disagree with me you are a GM stock short seller, a liar, and a fool all rolled into one!!!

Keith
All car dealers/service centers screw up, not just Tesla and those "horrible" stories are not the majority experiences.
By the way, is your school summer break over yet? :cool:

What a lucid thread! How dare I bring up Lucid in a Tesla forum? Oh, never mind. Sugar travels from the top down. If Elon actually addressed Tesla's shortcomings instead of tweeting like Pavlov's dog, perhaps Tesla's service and delivery experience wouldn't resemble an episode of Wayne's World.

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc
If Tesla delivers 250 cars a month like Lucid I’m sure the experience would be close to be perfect. But it built and delivered over 250K in the last 3 months , and that’s considered missing estimate. Just think about this number for a second. 2 existing + 2 new factories pumping out over 250,000 highly complex cars in such a short amount of time, and need to deliver to custom’s hands relatively quickly almost within days of the built. Then the poor souls working in SC needs to prepare, wash, inspect the car while dealing with EOQ push. I’m sure a few bad builds, bad transportation, bad pre-delivery, bad sales person attitude are going to be mixed in between. Not finding excuses for Tesla, but it’s just the law of probabilities. It’s just mathematically impossible to be without issues. And the most vocal ones come to TMC to voice their experience, which is great as that’s what’s holding Tesla accountable. But in my opinion, as long as these are isolated cases, and are outliers instead of norms, and Tesla is willing to fix issues, then i think the company is on the right track. There’s no perfect car or manufacture, but what’s most important to me are having the ones that would stand behind their products, which seems like Tesla is.

Or we can always tweet Elon how bad his SC and customer service is.

Reactions: Yelobird and jjgg
If Tesla delivers 250 cars a month like Lucid I’m sure the experience would be close to be perfect. But it built and delivered over 250K in the last 3 months , and that’s considered missing estimate. Just think about this number for a second. 2 existing + 2 new factories pumping out over 250,000 highly complex cars in such a short amount of time, and need to deliver to custom’s hands relatively quickly almost within days of the built. Then the poor souls working in SC needs to prepare, wash, inspect the car while dealing with EOQ push. I’m sure a few bad builds, bad transportation, bad pre-delivery, bad sales person attitude are going to be mixed in between. Not finding excuses for Tesla, but it’s just the law of probabilities. It’s just mathematically impossible to be without issues. And the most vocal ones come to TMC to voice their experience, which is great as that’s what’s holding Tesla accountable. But in my opinion, as long as these are isolated cases, and are outliers instead of norms, and Tesla is willing to fix issues, then i think the company is on the right track. There’s no perfect car or manufacture, but what’s most important to me are having the ones that would stand behind their products, which seems like Tesla is.

Yes I agree...what people forget with the dealership model (and applies to almost any manufactured item) is that each party has deniability...the dealer will tell you it’s not their problem but the factory will say, talk to the dealer not us. I have been stuck in this chasm betwixt manufacturer and distributor enough times to know that it’s a pact with the devil

There are big problems with your argument. First, Tesla has a far higher rate of defects than almost any other car maker. In fact, they were 3rd from the bottom in the 2021 JD power survey. There are plenty of makers on that list that make far more cars than Tesla does and yet manage to have a far lower rate of problems. Saying 'it's mathematically impossible to be without issues' is whitewashing and ignoring the problem. It's not that they have problems, it's the number of problems they have.

You are correct, Tesla has had significant growth and is clearly experiencing growing pains, but that is a reason, not an excuse. Building, transportation and pre-delivery are all part of Tesla's responsibility when selling a car. If Tesla is going to have problems with their manufacturing then the poor souls working in the service centers need to be prepared to deal with them and Tesla should be giving them the resources to do so. Unfortunately, there have been far too many stories of service centers forcing people to accept defective cars, telling them the problems are 'within spec,' etc to be able to say that these are isolated incidents. To be fair, I don't think all service centers are that bad, but Tesla needs to set a standard for all of them. Not all car dealers are bad, either.

Car dealers are notorious for poor service. Elon wanted to disrupt and change the dealership model but unfortunately Tesla service centers are also earning a reputation for poor service. Someone earlier said 'car dealers are working on commission and have an incentive to treat you like a king,' but if the implied reverse is true, that service center employees are not on commission and have no incentive not to treat people like dirt then it's hard to argue the Tesla model is any better.

Ultimately, this comes down to Tesla as a corporation, how it trains, supports and incentivizes its service centers. It's not enough to say "car dealers are bad. We're chaining things so it's better" They actually need to be better, too.

There are big problems with your argument. First, Tesla has a far higher rate of defects than almost any other car maker. In fact, they were 3rd from the bottom in the 2021 JD power survey. There are plenty of makers on that list that make far more cars than Tesla does and yet manage to have a far lower rate of problems. Saying 'it's mathematically impossible to be without issues' is whitewashing and ignoring the problem. It's not that they have problems, it's the number of problems they have.

You are correct, Tesla has had significant growth and is clearly experiencing growing pains, but that is a reason, not an excuse. Building, transportation and pre-delivery are all part of Tesla's responsibility when selling a car. If Tesla is going to have problems with their manufacturing then the poor souls working in the service centers need to be prepared to deal with them and Tesla should be giving them the resources to do so. Unfortunately, there have been far too many stories of service centers forcing people to accept defective cars, telling them the problems are 'within spec,' etc to be able to say that these are isolated incidents. To be fair, I don't think all service centers are that bad, but Tesla needs to set a standard for all of them. Not all car dealers are bad, either.

Car dealers are notorious for poor service. Elon wanted to disrupt and change the dealership model but unfortunately Tesla service centers are also earning a reputation for poor service. Someone earlier said 'car dealers are working on commission and have an incentive to treat you like a king,' but if the implied reverse is true, that service center employees are not on commission and have no incentive not to treat people like dirt then it's hard to argue the Tesla model is any better.

Ultimately, this comes down to Tesla as a corporation, how it trains, supports and incentivizes its service centers. It's not enough to say "car dealers are bad. We're chaining things so it's better" They actually need to be better, too.
Actually I’m having issues with how people use JD Power survey to base their opinion on how Tesla manufacture is right now. I wonder how many people actually know what the survey measures. It literally says in the article:

‘Build Quality Isn’t to Blame
A lower-ranked brand shouldn’t alarm current or potential owners, as it doesn’t necessarily translate to poor manufacturing quality, according to J.D. Power. When asked why Audi and Chrysler received such poor scores, Sargent clarified: “In general terms, the main issues can be described as the usability of certain technologies, including wireless smartphone connectivity, OEM apps, touch-free trunk/hatch and others,” he wrote. It’s “much less about manufacturing build quality.”

In other words, JD Power gives usability, app, wireless charger same weight as manufacture defeat, which is total bizarre and idiotic if you ask me. Someone who’s coming from traditional ICE car full of buttons to Tesla’s single screen infotainment system might’ve hard time adjusting and complain about usability. Or their 5 yeah android phone that couldn’t reliably unlock the door could’ve counted as a minus for Tesla. The whole survey is flawed without breaking into categories.

Now let’s talk about dealer model vs Tesla delivery. The reason why your cars are mostly perfect at pick up with spotless exterior and interior because the said car already in dealer lot or dealer took possession of it days ahead of getting that ready for customer. Customer is never to see all the damages that might’ve happened during transportation because they get fixed before delivery, or you will get a phone call from sales person that your car is ‘delayed’. This is a completely different model from Tesla. When you get text message from Tesla to schedule for pick up, they actually leave very little buffer from when the car is scheduled to be transported to actual pick up day. Twice, I got phone calls from SC the day before schedule pick up that my car would be arriving next day morning, and it might / might not be ready for pick up in the afternoon because they couldn’t clean and inspect in time. They asked if I mind to wait or want to reschedule. And you can see how crazy it might get at EOQ. I’m not saying this is the right approach, but I think most people who waited for a long time for their order, check EDD everyday…etc most of us would appreciate getting car asap despite some cosmetic flaw, instead of having to wait an extra week for SC to clean the car. Again, some people would want to wait so it looks spotless outside and inside, but for me I just want the car asap. I can clean it myself.

Reactions: Bouba and Yelobird
Some perspective here with context

From JD Power

The problem is JD Power does not reveal the actual detailed of the survey from customers for the initial quality survey, so it could be any things within the 8 categories. Consumer reports also perform its own surveys which can loosely reveal the long term reliability and it's tied to how the analyzers in CR interpret the data.

All manufacturers have defects one way or others, We haven't seen a 0 defect per 100 vehicles manufacturer from JD power, I also picked up vehicles from remote lot still with plastic on and dusty, right out of the delivery truck from dealership and after details with no issue or some minor issues that can be easily adjusted, have a mini copper that have no problem during ownership while others said they are crap. Tesla QA seems to be less throughout than the others even in non EOQ cases from my experience, others may have zero issue.

This I believe is related to what Tesla intended to achieve - mass production of EV aiming to change the world, if there is a non fatal problem or slow down in manufacturing, simplify the designs, reduce the options, let post production service to fix it because they can be adjusted later and may sacrifice some quality that better fit for human workmanship. Other manufacturers focus on build quality and reliability, if there is a problem, stop the production and fix it before going out, yet some focus more on performance and build quality, long term reliability is not the top goal, so reduce cost in production is more important.

Post production and delivery quality varies between dealerships, to some degrees on cultures and it depends on how the management set the goals and incentives in their organizations.

Last edited:
Totally understandable for OP's dissatisfying experience. 60K+ would normally get you an impeccable delivery experience in dealership like Lexus. However, Tesla's staff aren't trained to do that. They don't view Model 3 or Y as luxury. I'm due to pick up my vehicle in Redhook too, I'm not expecting anything. After all, this is NYC we are talking about.
Not sure how many cars the anyone purchased before. But I’ve purchased tons. I can give you a “Should have been better “ from almost all top brands. It all depends on the dealership and the people working how detailed they are. Not necessarily the brand itself. I have pureches 100k plus cars and never looked over them inspecting paint and body panels the way people do a Tesla. i think you’ll drive yourself crazy looking. And if you look hard enough you’ll find something

Status
Not open for further replies.