Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible and sad model Y delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my model Y today with 12 mile on the OD, door trim defects scratches and alignment problems, went inside to delivery person he diverted me to service, service lady wasn't big of a help, told me straight up if its within tesla specs tesla will then fix it? Scratched paint showing raw metal is normal? i understand this is the last day and everyone is super busy but, she basically told me to go home and request a service order. :)

I've submitted a service request and the only open slot in jersey is 1/16,

Attachments

• WeChat Image_20230101013855.jpg
    WeChat Image_20230101013855.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 528
  • WeChat Image_20230101013907.jpg
    WeChat Image_20230101013907.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 451
  • WeChat Image_20230101013910.jpg
    WeChat Image_20230101013910.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 449
  • WeChat Image_20230101013913.jpg
    WeChat Image_20230101013913.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 441
  • WeChat Image_20230101013916.jpg
    WeChat Image_20230101013916.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 451
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Oof. Sorry man. When I went in for service with a very slight panel misalignment, I think they said their spec was 5 mm. So smaller than that they probably won't fix. So the fourth picture that is uneven they might not fix. The fifth image looks big enough to be out of spec though.

I have worked a decade in Auto Manufacturing. I would never buy a quarter end or year end product. It is rushed through with a compliant quality department to help achieve production targets. Mid-month, mid-quarter etc., are much better. I think Tesla will attend to most of the issues. This is a busy time of the year and with the holidays less people at work. Any issues reported before 100 miles or 1 days are attended to.

Your experience is the main reason I'm thinking of buying privately (used) so I can examine the car carefully
and not have to place the $250 order fee. If I look at it in person and it doesn't meet my liking, I can just walk away
and it costs me nothing.
Sorry to see you have those production problems. I for one think it is unforgivable that Tesla can't make a quality
vehicle at this price point that is equal to German or Japanese quality. It's not like they are a startup.
I guess the $7,500 discount was a very important deciding factor in your purchase.
I fully understand that. Don't know what I would have done being I am very fussy and have ocd.
Good luck getting it fixed to your satisfaction.

Your experience is the main reason I'm thinking of buying privately (used) so I can examine the car carefully
and not have to place the $250 order fee. If I look at it in person and it doesn't meet my liking, I can just walk away
and it costs me nothing.
Sorry to see you have those production problems. I for one think it is unforgivable that Tesla can't make a quality
vehicle at this price point that is equal to German or Japanese quality. It's not like they are a startup.
I guess the $7,500 discount was a very important deciding factor in your purchase.
I fully understand that. Don't know what I would have done being I am very fussy and have ocd.
Good luck getting it fixed to your satisfaction.
you can still go to a service center/showroom and see what they have in stock. I saw a perfect model Y LR a few weeks ago. i ran my fingers over the seams to make sure they were flush. i totally would've gotten it if it had gemini wheels, but it had induction wheels that i didn't want to pay extra for.

i still paid a deposit to hold on to it, in case my MYP on order was not to my liking. i think it may take a few weeks/months to have a build up of inventory at the showrooms, but this could work out nicely for you.....

Picked up my model Y today with 12 mile on the OD, door trim defects scratches and alignment problems, went inside to delivery person he diverted me to service, service lady wasn't big of a help, told me straight up if its within tesla specs tesla will then fix it? Scratched paint showing raw metal is normal? i understand this is the last day and everyone is super busy but, she basically told me to go home and request a service order. :)

I've submitted a service request and the only open slot in jersey is 1/16,
Yawn. 🥱. Welcome to the club.

• Funny
Reactions: dreamer1213
Yawn. 🥱. Welcome to the club.
Haha... totally. My 22MYP bought in August they now discount. USB ports were bogus, window trim misaligned... nobody there when you pick it up with app, and no way to talk to a live person, but when you do they will likely gaslight you and be condescending. I hate my new car, and now they just depreciated it by 7500, so I'll hold on to it for another year but then I'm buying an Aptera and if I need a truck I'm considering the Ford 150 hybrid instead. Oh and without USS, the 22 drives worse than my older 20M3 and has less features for almost twice the cost. I feel robbed and that Tesla violated my trust as a consumer. I'm no longer a fan.
Welcome to the club indeed.

Reactions: ScoobyDoo82
Oof. Sorry man. When I went in for service with a very slight panel misalignment, I think they said their spec was 5 mm. So smaller than that they probably won't fix. So the fourth picture that is uneven they might not fix. The fifth image looks big enough to be out of spec though.

5 mm seems wide. I recall Lexus having a 3 mm or less panel gap back in the late 90s to early 2000s but here's a thread where GM vehicles back in mid 2000s had a gap tolerance of 3.5 mm FWIW. I'm not comparing Teslas to Lexus in terms of build quality, but one would think it would at least match GM specs: