Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Autopilot Nags

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove from Switzerland to the Netherlands via Germany and then back via France this month. I set my cruise control to +5km/h.
On highways where the speed limit was 120km/h I got the same number of nags on v8 as I got using v7 last month. When the speed limit was 130 km/h and I accelerated onto the highway aggressively, I was über-nagged for the next 10 minutes. With normal traffic within the defined speed limits, I rarely noticed additional nags. If I held the steering wheel at ten & two, I NEVER GOT NAGGED. The nags only occurred when I held the wheel at seven o'clock with one hand or when, I aggressively entered the highway and then placed my hand on the wheel at seven o'clock. What bothers me more than the nag, is the lack of audible nag while the navigation is engaged. Why? Because if you don't notice the white flashing dashboard within a few seconds and respond with a tug on the wheel, you will lose Auto-Steering until you put the car in park for a few secs. Yes, the software has changed and you can thank the clowns who decided to publish their back seat auto-driving adventures on youtube. BUT... that said, there is really no need to refrain from updating to v8. Overall, they did a nice job with the update.

Staying on 7.1. I have noticed that the newer car is much more sensitive to hands on wheel. The slightest pressure will turn off and/or prevent the nag. The 70D takes a much larger amount of torque to do the same. I think the differences in the cars is why some report less nagging. My opinion is that any nagging at all reduces the safety of the system. FW 7.0 had no nagging. It only prompted you when it needed driver intervention. I hope that AP 2.0 eventually returns to not having nusience nagging.

I've not had one 8.0 nag nor do I care to force one when I can read all about them here. I drive every weekend 175 mile each way and 80 mph for over half of it. Mostly AP, usually over speed limit and no problem with AP set at 80. Week day driving is 20 miles each way, controlled by traffic and unfortunately well below the speed limit. Mostly AP except for freeway merges and the one section of the 110 that resets my speed limit to 110. :eek: I just can't get myself to trust AP there.
My driving habits and experience with AP are almost exactly the same except I'm using Northern California freeways. I use AP about 95% of the time on those trips except in construction zones where the lane dividers are iffy. No nags, ever.

Is it my turn to nag about this nagging about nagging? I've not really ever been nagged unless I was trying to make it do so. It's more frequent on side roads than interstates, and seemingly in construction zones too. I've noticed it does nag less if you set your speed assist offset in the settings to a higher speed over the limit, like 7.

Speed assist has nothing at all to do with the autpilot functions. It is clearly spelled out in the operating manual. Common misconception. You are lucky to not be bothered by the nagging.

Luck has nothing to do with it at all. If you hold the steering wheel as your instructed to, you won't get nagged. It's really that simple.

I've put 10K+ miles on my Model S using AP and I can't recall a single nag I wasn't intentionally trying to generate. Not a single one. Why? Because I keep at least one hand on the 9 o'clock position which is more than enough to give the car the user feedback it's looking for from it's torque sensing.

Jeff

i guess that's the thing that needs to be clarified - when you are using AP are you going totally hands-off the wheel?

I do the bay area daily 280 south drive from about Hillsborough to Cupertino and if I'm hands-off I get nag'ed every 2 minutes or so. If I rest a hand at 3'oclock on the wheel, no nags that get escalated.

Does anyone really go those long distances with hands off the wheel and not get nagged??

I had built a cautious level of trust with the earlier versions. I don't have that at all now.
That pretty much sums up the current software for me. I don't have the nag experiences other complain about, but for the first time AP wanders back and forth between lanes. Yesterday, on a gentle left turn on I80, it crossed well into the center median. Last week, for the first time, I was on a perfectly straight section, in the right lane of a four-lane highway, and all of a sudden, it jerked right. My level of trust has really dropped off.

I agree the nagging is way worse. I don't use hands when on autopilot, I'm actively monitoring the systems and ready to take over at any time like when I have autopilot engaged in an airplane. The nagging is good to make sure people are awake but it has gotten way too excessive.

^^^This...

If you're getting a nag then the only person you have to blame for it is yourself...

Jeff

I find it very interesting that some of us get zero "hold the steering wheel" commands. I commute 190 miles daily from south of Monterey to the Bay Area. In the past I could drive just about the entire distance holding the wheel lightly, or at times not at all, without being prompted to hold the wheel. After 8.0, with my right elbow on the armrest and my right hand resting lightly on the wheel I get prompted once or twice per song (I started counting off the seconds, but quickly decided it was easier just to see how many prompts I got per average four minute song). I asked Tesla service if there is a torque sensitivity adjustment and was told there is not. I've also been prompted with my hands at 10 and 2.

All of that said, I'm still VERY happy with autopilot. It makes the drive much less stressful. I'm also a big fan of the flashing white border around the consul. I can live with giving the wheel a slight tug each time I'm prompted.

I always use AP with hands off. When it nags I just give minimal resistance at the bottom of the steering wheel and continue.

Are you guys saying that you hold the steering wheel while on AP? Why? That's no fun. If I hold the wheel it disengages AP.

Yes, I most always have contact at 4 or 8 with an arm dangling and ultimately resting on my knee. Depending on conditions, my fingers, palm or full hand are continuously sensing wheel movement and road bounce, providing effortless torque and readiness for full control if needed.

Why? Because (at least in California) there are excessive instances of poor lane markings, lane splitters, unidentifiable drift conditions, old/new construction, road debris, sensor sun glare, dumb driver maneuvers etc. all requiring immediate or anticipated action. Love the tech, its safety, convenience and amazing evolution, but its not yet ready to be left alone. No fun? Become one with your car and the grin is permanent. Resist it's needs and endure it's tantrums......probably no fun.