Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Autopilot Nags

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a few weeks of city driving a had a longer drive yesterday (San Jose to Gilroy and back - about 30 mi each way). The autopilot was utterly *useless*, asking me to hold the wheel every 0.3 to 0.4 miles!!!! Perfect weather, new line markings, straight segments, light traffic...

I cannot believe they took a good thing and made it worse, to the point of being unusable! Don't give me the 'you should be holding your hands on the wheel', this is every 15-20 *seconds*.

I was wondering if anyone else is seeing this, I'm on 2.42.40 FW version.

I drive 40 miles on 101 in the Bay Area every day @ up to 75mph. I've barely noticed any chances in nagging frequency with 8.0. I see it very seldom at all in traffic, and predictably a few times through construction zones where the lanes bend oddly, but other than that, only about once every 5-8 miles @ 75mph. Not sure why you're having such a different experience.

I wonder if they're testing an algorithm that adjusts nagging frequency partly based on driver actions/experience...

Thanks for all the replies; to clarify: this is fully automatic, TACC engaged and no foot on anything. I will try to monitor the speed; it was around 75mph, but it could have been 73 or 77 ... did not pay much attention to that.

They did not make it worse. You obviously have a problem and should visit a service center.

Tesla does not seem to think so, finds it normal (reply from Tesla support):

Due to Autopilot still being in beta, you should never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path. You should always be prepared to take immediate action. Autosteer is a hands-on feature at this point and you must keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times. If you feel the vehicle is not detecting your hands, I can forward a case to your local Service Center to test your vehicle to ensure that system is working as designed.

It's not that it's not detecting my hands, it's just that I have to *pull* the steering wheel each time.

I can't help but think there's some sort of calibration issue. I've driven from Portland to Seattle and never had a single nag and only had to override steering controls once. My wife and I recently drove from Seattle to Santa Clara and back, using autopilot regularly in less than stellar conditions, and I don't remember a single nag. Yes, we always have a hand resting somewhere on the wheel, but no, I don't feel like I'm constantly pulling on it.

If on an undivided highway, it nags me every 60 seconds like clockwork. If there's a turn in the road, it's even more frequent.
I found that the car "learned" my habits here. I saw the same nag sequence heading home on a 2 lane road. 10 km/hr over the limit (max on autopilot). The next time, same speed, was 2-3 minutes. Now it's every 5-10 minutes.

one thing that I think triggers the excessive nagging is going 10+ mph over the limit, I find that if I limit my speed the nags are less frequent. nonetheless I agree the nags that came along with the newest update SUCK

Same here. I get it every 20 seconds if I'm more than 10 MPH over the speed limit. In my case I wasn't actually speeding but the stretch of road I'm on which is 55 MPH only has one sign at the beginning which I bypass because I cut into that road 1 mile into it from a side road. It then goes for 12 miles without any more speed limit signs but it it's 55.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Yup more nags and worst autopilot. I have seen multiple occasions where it falsely detected object that was not there and the opposite. Never had problems with 7.1. The nags is about every 1-2 minutes or longer if the road is straight. But I never have gone more than 5 minutes before nagging. Overall I think 8.0 is a backward step for tesla autopilot. Like I said before I think it has to do with mobi eye departure. Tesla's implementation just suck right now. Hopefully it gets better as time goes.

I've not had one 8.0 nag nor do I care to force one when I can read all about them here. I drive every weekend 175 mile each way and 80 mph for over half of it. Mostly AP, usually over speed limit and no problem with AP set at 80. Week day driving is 20 miles each way, controlled by traffic and unfortunately well below the speed limit. Mostly AP except for freeway merges and the one section of the 110 that resets my speed limit to 110. :eek: I just can't get myself to trust AP there.

Reactions: ibdb
I've not had one 8.0 nag nor do I care to force one when I can read all about them here. I drive every weekend 175 mile each way and 80 mph for over half of it. Mostly AP, usually over speed limit and no problem with AP set at 80. Week day driving is 20 miles each way, controlled by traffic and unfortunately well below the speed limit. Mostly AP except for freeway merges and the one section of the 110 that resets my speed limit to 110. :eek: I just can't get myself to trust AP there.

^^^This...

If you're getting a nag then the only person you have to blame for it is yourself...

Jeff

Reactions: ibdb
I get 3X nags compared to the 7-series. My personal fave was the second 7.1 rev...

But I find that if I simply rest my hands on the wheel, which I do not find to be uncomfortable or inconvenient, I get no nags at all. It does seem to work fine as far as nags go. The rest of it? Not so damn good. I think AP is much worse with wandering and some occasional really bad veering into unsafe conditions.

I had built a cautious level of trust with the earlier versions. I don't have that at all now.