TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Horrible CPO experience

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Lithivm, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Lithivm

Lithivm Member

I went pick up my CPO today. An S 85d with 16k on the clock with air suspension and AP1.0. for $70k

The car really looked nice. Once I started to look around I noticed that it had a crease on the hood from improper closing the frunk. The hood was misaligned you could fit the tip of your finger one side and barely the nail on the other side. It also had some scratches that we're not touched up. Condensation on a rear light. The thing that bother me most was the hood. They wouldn't fix it. There was no option. Basically they tried to either sell me a floor model 75d. Or wait until we found a better match. I'm so disappointed with the experience I'm probably going to request my $$ and purchase an Audi CPO. I've had them before and was always a great experience. Dropping the price wasn't an option either. This is such bad service you pick a CPO looking at stock images and when you finally see it has defects and they won't help out.

• Informative x 1
  2. azred

azred Member

Good luck with the Audi. Not sure the point of your post here though. You don't think you are going to discourage others from purchasing Teslas, surely?

• Like x 1
  3. Lithivm

Lithivm Member

I'm not discugaring anyone. I'm a huge Tesla fan. Just posting my experience for other prospective buyers.

4. geometro

geometro Member

Disappointing to still hear about these issues as the CPO program has been around for a few years. Unfortunately, it seems like one has to have a lot more patience (which isn't easy when dropping $70k).

• Like x 1
  5. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

The use of stock photos for car with thousands of miles feels shady to me.

• Like x 4
  6. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

I totally agree. Why won't Tesla just post photos of the actual car to let buyers know what they are actually receiving before they buy it.

• Like x 3
  7. Lithivm

Lithivm Member

It's really terrible. I had paid via my.tesla prior to going to pick it up. I always hear good stories about their service. Feel really down now. After being on the CPO site for a couple of months waiting for a good match for us.

• Like x 1
  8. Lithivm

Lithivm Member

Is there anything from Tesla about whats expected on CPO quality. Such as things that they fix or don't fix. Scratches, touch ups, etc. The sales manager said that I should have received a document but I can't find anything. Thanks in advance.

9. CLLACAB

CLLACAB Member

I had a similar issue when I picked up mine. The leading edges of the hood were about 1/8 inch higher than the fenders. I told them I was walking if they did not repair. They agreed to fix it. I would try escalating the issue.

• Like x 2
  10. wildtigg3r

wildtigg3r Member

We all can agree Tesla's CPO program is not up to par against other automakers. There's no question about it.

The reason they don't use actual photos for their CPOs is because they use the CPOs as loaner cars at all the service center. They don't have CPOs sitting in a large parking lot waiting for someone to buy them. Once someone decides to purchase one of them, they'll pull the car out of the loaner list. They will then start working on the car. Yea, some CPO won't be perfect and Tesla should do their best to fix the faults.

As a buyer, if you are not happy with the condition of the car, you have the power/option to reject the car. You don't have to sign the paper and just walk away. It's a waste of your time but at least you won't be stuck with a car you are unhappy with and then wasting more time sending the car into the service center, which who knows how long it will be out of commission. You'll end up paying your monthly loan on a car you haven't driven.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  11. tls

tls Member

Yes and no. Last year they had literally dozens of CPOs sitting in the parking lot in Paramus. So many they started arranging them by color! No idea where they went -- one day I pulled in to charge and they were all gone.

• Like x 1
  12. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Sure hear a lot of similar complaints. Hope Tesla is listening.

• Like x 1
  13. Darren Donovan

That's awful, but i guess not that surprising, even some new Teslas are delivered with issues.

14. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

We can? I have only purchased on CPO vehicle, a VW. The paint was in worse condition than my S. ("nothing we can do"). The tires were all at the very minimum for CPO. ("they meet the specs") And when the air conditioning stopped working they said the A/C vents blowing air was not covered by the CPO warranty and I'd have to pay for them. It was still a totally solid used car, and they paid around $1200 worth of mechanical repairs which covered the cost difference for CPO. I wouldn't say it's a slam-dunk that other CPO programs are better, though. One way they are worse is that they are much less willing to hunt for the exact car you want, something which Tesla is very solid about. Also their pricing is much less consistent.

I do agree that the frunk dents not being fixable stinks. The CPO communication is also all over the map in terms of quality, and that's something Tesla should have a lot of control over. Time to replace the CPO advisers and the DS's that don't communicate. If they have a decent CRM it should be obvious who is bad about customer contact. And if they don't have a decent CRM they need one.

• Like x 1
  15. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Never pay before seeing the car in person.

16. xborg

xborg Member

The problems you mentioned come standard on almost every Tesla, even if you buy new.

• Like x 1
  17. Archduke

Archduke Member

I have no experience whatsoever with Tesla's CPO program, but I've definitely heard people talk about great experiences as well as disappointing ones and everything in between. If I were you, I would ask if they would allow you to pick another CPO car that you could inspect beforehand. If not, I'd tell them you'll walk unless they agree to repair the unexpected issues on the CPO car you ordered.

I would also tell you that if you are expecting the fit and finish of a Mercedes/BMW/Audi, you might need to adjust your expectations. After all, Audi has been producing cars since 1885, BMW since 1923, and Mercedes since 1886. They've had decades to perfect things. Tesla is brand new to the game. There are things about a Tesla that sometimes don't feel very 'premium' even though the price tag is very much premium. Sometimes, the alignment of panels is not as tight or consistent as it is in other luxury cars or even in mid-priced cars. The height of the seatbelt cannot be adjusted on my (pretty much) fully loaded Model S which can be highly irritating. The compartment between the front seats is so poorly organized that it's a joke. There is no hook for hanging dry cleaning on the ceiling above the rear passenger door. Some of the stitching in the seats isn't quite up to par.

But I'd choose my Tesla over any Mercedes/BMW/Audi. The electric drivetrain is so much more refined than any Mercedes/BMW/Audi being sold today. I love that the torque is all front-loaded. Being unshackled as much as possible from the oil and gas industry allows me to drive with as little guilt as possible. Overall, it's such a better experience that I can happily overlook minor body panel alignment (I'm not saying your CPO panel alignment is minor...just that mine is), interior compartments that aren't fully baked, and minor convenience features that are standard in pretty much every other car on the road.

I think that if you are persistent, you can fined the CPO car that is right for you, and that you'll be glad you waited.

Good luck!

18. majcina

majcina Member

My CPO delivery experience was terrible. I mean the price was good, the car was in excellent shape, and the service was top notch, but I miss the traditional dealership experience. When we bought our Leaf from Nissan 5 years ago, the dealership gave us a voucher for a free first oil change. Tesla never gave us one of these. So disappointing! :p

• Funny x 2