Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Experience at Highland Park Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you just signed up for a test drive beforehand and after showing your license and signing the ipad, you could've easily requested the OA let you drive to your house instead of along 41 / 94.

BTW, Tesla HP is also very family friendly. They've been great to my 2 year old (they give her Tesla coloring books and colored pencils when we come in for service). She even spilled a bottle of water on accident and they were very gracious about it.

They also throw social events that, at least for the one I went to, was a lot of fun and had Real Urban BBQ catering. They had the kid tesla cars and a small race track and it seemed to me like it was a well planned event aimed at getting owners together (and not necessarily selling cars).

So if anyone else reads this thread, consider that perhaps OP's experience is not representative nor reflective of the actual sales staff/store experience.
Yes i wanted to book on the website, however they were booked full for the next couple weeks and I wasn't planning if I liked it to place an order that day.

Man, that sucks. I wonder if the salesman is new? I don't think my local SC has salesmen who know everything, but at least they're nice and sincere in trying to help without being pushy.

In the places I've lived (maybe cuz it's California), most of the sales people know not to take appearances too much into account. Shorts, ratty t-shirts, and flip flops don't mean they have no money. Could be anywhere from a successful contractor or some other small businessman on a break. And kids have rich parents.

The only time I had a salesman ignore me I think was maybe cuz they were kind of new and didn't know the demographics of the city that well. My friend drove me to the local Toyota dealer to look for my first car. We had just stepped out when a sales guy walked up to greet us. First thing he asked was how old we were. When we said we were 17, he immediately turned on his heel and walked away. We saw his manager running up yelling at him and asking why he was walking away from us. We could hear him yelling at the guy, "they pulled up in a f***ing BMW! They've got parents! Go back to them!" But we were pissed and had already gotten back into the car at that point and went down to Honda where I became a cliche and ended up with a Civic. lol Now, my hometown has so many parachute kids that all the dealers' eyes light up if they see a kid by themselves cuz there's a very good chance it means an easy sell without a lot of bargaining.

Yes i wanted to book on the website, however they were booked full for the next couple weeks and I wasn't planning if I liked it to place an order that day.

Interesting. I can book a test drive starting Oct 2 there. Every day is available from then out. The sign up system seems to have changed slightly in that I am given limited options based on my zip.

At any rate, nothing excuses rudeness but I think Tesla has its systems in place to ensure their test drives are not clogged up by walk ins. Perhaps they should be more accommodating but as you note, Tesla HP is busy and its likely others had taken the time to reserve their test drives ahead of time or were patient and waited the wait period out. Hopefully this is a one off instance but I do fear Tesla's compensation is not enough to retain truly good talent.

Interesting. I can book a test drive starting Oct 2 there. Every day is available from then out. The sign up system seems to have changed slightly in that I am given limited options based on my zip.

At any rate, nothing excuses rudeness but I think Tesla has its systems in place to ensure their test drives are not clogged up by walk ins. Perhaps they should be more accommodating but as you note, Tesla HP is busy and its likely others had taken the time to reserve their test drives ahead of time or were patient and waited the wait period out. Hopefully this is a one off instance but I do fear Tesla's compensation is not enough to retain truly good talent.
They have a system that actually has bookings by time/date now? Back when (Model 3 announcement), I put in my name for a test drive for the heck of it (probably along with 300,000 other people!) and never heard a word. Which is why I went to Tyson’s to get a test drive, and later for an overnight. I did have to have an email conversation about getting an overnight, but perhaps the fact that I already had installed two HPWCs may have helped a *leetle* bit... :D

If you just signed up for a test drive beforehand and after showing your license and signing the ipad, you could've easily requested the OA let you drive to your house instead of along 41 / 94.

Not necessarily. I signed up for a test drive online five years ago and they still haven't gotten back to me about when it will happen. Later I've test driven as a walk in however. Ordered both of my Teslas online since the test drive/sales never happened.
Also never got my requested trade in quote for my old Model S when I ordered the new one. Point of the story is that Tesla has a huge untapped potential in lead follow up and sales.

Not necessarily. I signed up for a test drive online five years ago and they still haven't gotten back to me about when it will happen. Later I've test driven as a walk in however. Ordered both of my Teslas online since the test drive/sales never happened

Well, I can only speak to Tesla HP and the scheduler online worked. This isn't the previous "hey I'm interested in being contacted for a test drive", its an actual sign up to reserve a slot to test drive.

Lucky for Tesla that you wanted the car so much, that you went somewhere else to buy it. It would be interesting to know how many sales they have lost, because of idiots like that.

At my local SC they are all really nice, but it seems they can't hold good personal too long. Especially the younger ones are gone pretty quickly, which is a shame, because I like to have someone I already know I can trust to handle my car. Maybe they need to pay more? I just fear that they will need to hire everyone they can find to handle the 3 deliveries and that the quality will suffer, if they can only keep the bad ones.

I wont even bother with the n00bs here in Portland.

Odd, I had exactly the opposite experience with the folks on Portland. My first MS I planned to register in Wyoming but have delivered to Las Vegas. When my Vegas DS told me they would have to collect Nevada sales tax I contacted Portland (no sales tax there) and explained my situation. They were great to work with, very helpful, and even offered to prepare the Wyoming registration papers for me.

Thought this kind of stuff was done with, I had something like this in 1971 when I got out of the service and went into a Porsche dealer with $7000 cash in my pocket looking to buy a 912. Granted I was 23 and in shorts and a t shirt, could not get a salesman to talk to me. They made a decision that I was not a buyer, to bad for them they missed out on a sale. Surprised a Tesla store would have that attitude.

Many moons ago I walked into a Ford Dealership. I had the title document of my current vehicle in my portfolio ready to trade. After a test drive I tried to start the bargaining process. No dice, come back when you are ready to trade and we can talk money was the response. I left and went to another dealer.

When a dealer determines you are "not serious" it really means they are not serious, may have already met their monthly quota.

• Helpful
Reactions: Musterion
From our experience, my wife and I, it depends on the sales person.

We picked up our early reservation X from Westmont, no real interaction with the sales staff there at that time.
With our first S, I found an inventory one that matched our needs at Highland Park so my wife went up there to check it out. First sales person she approached (older balding gentleman) was rude and didn't give her the time of day. Basically told her that he did not have time to "find" the inventory vehicle. She called me and was annoyed to say the least, especially since our 4 year old was with her, but I asked her to find another sales person... and she did. Steve (who no longer is at Highland Park, but now at Westmont) was courteous and immediately found the vehicle and brought it up to the door for her to look at. Also kindly showed our daughter "her" Model S (Radio Flyer version). Steve also offered us a "deal" we couldn't refuse (it was close to the end of the quarter), so less than 24 hours later, I made the reservation (sight unseen by myself but I trusted her judgement on the Titanium paint).

So a few days later, we go to pick up the first S, as this was our second Tesla, the walk-through went quickly. There was some glue residue from the shipping masks, so the porters came over again to polish it off and during this time the first salesman my wife spoke to came over and started talking to us about what we will "experience" with a Tesla. He bragged that he had a slightly older S, and then my wife mentions to him that he had actually met her a few nights before... and that we already had a Model X and this was our second Tesla. She told me it was him after he walked away. I appeared that he genuinely did not remember my wife, not surprised, but he was surprised that it was our second Tesla. Btw, a few weeks later, we picked up a second Model S, saw the same guy again and told him we were picking up another S. The expression on his face, priceless.

I read a lot of this thread and figured most people don't know the truth.

The test drive is an excuse to give a salesperson time with you to get you to buy a car.

Granted there are some finer details you might get from a drive but mostly 30 minutes is not enough to get a full understanding of a car.

Given that a Tesla is a Tesla, they drive the same, and most of the options are cosmetic or utility, you don't need to test them.

Why give a salesperson any time?

There's no haggling and you're not going to eyeball an inventory car.

Just buy it online and skip the process. They don't care where you buy, you're just a number and you're really just another beta-tester. They don't care about your color choice or your trim levels, the stereo or the rims. They do not care.

Reactions: bhzmark
First off, I live in Wisconsin. I went to The Grand Avenue Tesla in Chicago to drive a Model X and brag about it for the rest of my life. Test drove the Model X with Stuart(Loved it), Test drove the Model S (because they told me I would like it better), priced both cars with Matt A(who is now at Highland Park), surprised at the lower price than what I punched up that morning, and I put money down that evening.
I picked up the car from Grand Avenue and was given my walk-through by the regional manager. One month later, my wife ordered the Model S from Matt. When we picked up our S, Matt said he was being transferred to Highland Park.
All of my service has been done by Rangers and Highland Park. Other than Matt, the sales staff has been borderline rude. I have stopped in with friends and family during service appointments and I had snapped responses when I asked about buying tesla swag or questions about the car. I own two Teslas already people. When I bring in people that want to buy the car, don’t be jerks.
I have had great experiences with the service department at Highland Park. My other complaint is the no loaner tires in my area. If you get a flat with the ModelX, just order it from tirerack.com and realize you are screwed till it shows up. I bought a second set of tires, so I can actually use the road side warranty on my tires and drive my car that week.

• Informative
Reactions: OnBass