Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Experience at Highland Park Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[QUOTE="Aw2867100, post: 2327687, home test drives were only for "serious buyers" only. .[/QUOTE]
WOW. That is so sad. While I can only be a "serious buyer" when a Tesla model is built that goes into my very narrow driveway, Tesla Reps in Walnut Creek,Ca have always been super nice and accommodating as I test drive each new model. I really appreciate the respect!

Me and my wife were in the market for a Model X. We visited the Highland Park showroom last Saturday and we were treated terribly. For starters the showroom has a single model x, the showroom is dirty and unorganized. We literally stood there for 20 minutes looking at the showroom car before I had to go get someone to help us. You know what that's ok but the part that really pissed me off was that EVERY SINGLE PERSON THAT WORKS THEIR IS SO ARROGANT they did not want to help me, and when I inquired about a home test drive because I have limited time they told me that home test drives were only for "serious buyers" only. At that point me and my wife were fuming. Needless to say we left and went too Tesla Oakbrook. They were so genuine and so kind, no snottiness or anything, very helpful and cheerful, they gladly set up a home test drive and the day after the test drive we placed an order for a pearl white MX 100D. I also made sure delivery was not at Highland Park. I feel Highland Park definitely needs a renovation and new training for their staff. I don't expect this type of arrogance when buying a 25k Prius much less a 125k tesla. The employees should not judge you based on the clothes that we were wearing or anything of that sort. These employees almost made us not want to purchase our dream car with the company we supported since the beginning. If not for David at Tesla Oakbrook we would be at Bentley right now finalizing a lease for a new bentayga instead of a model x. Have you guys ever had an bad experience with Tesla. How would you have reacted when a Tesla employee said the you weren't a "serious buyer".

Not surprised. I ordered by Model X, waited 10 months for it. Went to Tysons Corner, VA to take delivery ready to write the check and I told them I wanted to test drive MY car. It already had my insurance on it. They would not allow the test drive until I completed the paperwork and owned the car. I thought he was effing kidding me. But, no! He meant it. I almost walked out but after 10 months I just bit my tongue and wrote them one gigantic check. I reported the incident to the manager on Monday as this occurred on a Saturday. Ridiculous amount of arrogance. I went back two weeks later to have the wing doors adjusted. They had it for the day and when I picked up the paperwork it said "Good Will". I asked what that meant, like wouldn't this just be a warranty item? Good Will seemed like they were doing me a favor. Again, ridiculous.

Not surprised. I ordered by Model X, waited 10 months for it. Went to Tysons Corner, VA to take delivery ready to write the check and I told them I wanted to test drive MY car. It already had my insurance on it. They would not allow the test drive until I completed the paperwork and owned the car. I thought he was effing kidding me. But, no! He meant it. I almost walked out but after 10 months I just bit my tongue and wrote them one gigantic check. I reported the incident to the manager on Monday as this occurred on a Saturday. Ridiculous amount of arrogance. I went back two weeks later to have the wing doors adjusted. They had it for the day and when I picked up the paperwork it said "Good Will". I asked what that meant, like wouldn't this just be a warranty item? Good Will seemed like they were doing me a favor. Again, ridiculous.
Agreed the "good will" under warranty text is somewhat annoying. But since a new car loses 30% of its value the moment you take it out the door, why would they let you take it out before you take ownership?

I got my CPO P85+ in late 2015 at Highland Park, and they treated me nicely. I've never had a problem there for service either. I recently referred a friend who bought a new P100D and as far as I know his experience at Highland Park was good too. I do hope these negative experiences are rare and get addressed. No Tesla showroom experience should be negative!

I read some other story of a guy that walked into a dealership dressed with ripped jeans and a t-shirt (something along those lines) and he was ignored by dealership staff as long as possible before the sales rep that drew the short stick finally went to talk to him. The guy was pissed he was disrespected, so he went to another dealership down the street and proceeded to buy MULTIPLE cars on the spot. Turned out the guy was some famous rock band musician.
IMO all these sales people should be forced to watch "Pretty Woman" once a week at their Monday morning meetings ! ;-)

"Goodwill" is standard financial terminology. I wouldn't read anything into it.

Could also be due to service centers being part of Tesla as opposed to independent dealerships, so the whole profit and loss aspect is not treated the same. At least from a mental/ attitude/ owner paperwork point of view, either the owner pays or Tesla covers it. They're too busy to subdivide the categories.

Adjusting doors might be fast, and if it doesn't require parts, perhaps the tech goes over to car, fixes it in X minutes, and logs goodwill to make things faster. Manager approves since tech time is fixed cost (NPI), and you're back on the road. Since there is paperwork, they did log the trouble code for tracibility/ metrics.

also possible that it determines whether they charge it against their warranty reserves -- or not.
Could also be due to service centers being part of Tesla as opposed to independent dealerships, so the whole profit and loss aspect is not treated the same. At least from a mental/ attitude/ owner paperwork point of view, either the owner pays or Tesla covers it. They're too busy to subdivide the categories.

Adjusting doors might be fast, and if it doesn't require parts, perhaps the tech goes over to car, fixes it in X minutes, and logs goodwill to make things faster. Manager approves since tech time is fixed cost (NPI), and you're back on the road. Since there is paperwork, they did log the trouble code for tracibility/ metrics.

Reactions: FarmerDave
and salespeople say:

If I'm going to use company resources (my time, demo car mileage) to sell a hundred grand car, then I focus on prospects who make an appointment. I find that works wonders as you usually get the prospects more likely to buy. People who wander in randomly off the street are much more unpredictable.

Reactions: TMC Bubba
Had a Maserati salesman tell me that "test drives for exotic cars are limited" when I was looking at a Gran Turismo many years ago - kind of the same experience. I left a feed-back message on the Maserati site, never purchased one after that.

I still have my 2013 GT Sport. Great car but you're spot on. The Maserati dealership here in Sacramento sucks so bad. I dont know how they continue to sell these slow, low tech, loud, gas guzzling cars. I still love my GT!!

My first OA for the Tesla was terrible. She wouldn't let me test the ludicrous mode. She said it feels just like the current mode (75D) just a little faster. uhhhhh duh!!! smh.

Reactions: boaterva
Basically we’re all responsible for our own experiences. People who are easier going/go with the flow/happy in general will almost always have a good experience because they don’t sweat the small stuff, don’t take things personal, genuinely like being upbeat etc... versus people who are demanding, grumpy or have very specific expectations that don’t get met/can’t be met unless they vocalize them.

Some of us have lost the ability or were never taught/never gained the ability to deal with difficult/challenging/upsetting face to face situations.

There are several tactics that can be taken when dealing with people of different personalities. It behooves us all to learn them so that we don’t have to walk away angry or upset.

I love to use humor to diffuse situations or to get what I want. Works almost every time. When it doesn’t I just go for straight forward and honest and that covers everything else.

Reactions: vandacca