Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible experience with my flat tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what an electric jack is for, and a gorilla breaker bar.
Yeah. but the electric jack I got wouldnt lift the car.. and when I finally got it to lift the car, it wouldnt let it back down. I ended having to use my floor jack to raise the car a bit more and kicking the #@^^&@# jack out from under it. But the bigger concern I had after fiddling with it, was it going to actually fit under the car if the tire was deflated. I didnt have a chance to test that before I sent it back to Amazon. I was using a 300 watt battery pack to run it and could not do it.

I do have the breaker bar tho :). I just need way that can safely and easily lift 5,000 lbs thats pretty low to the ground. I plan to experiment around with a few things over the next couple of months.

Edit - this is the electric jack I tried.. junk

Yeah. but the electric jack I got wouldnt lift the car.. and when I finally got it to lift the car, it wouldnt let it back down. I ended having to use my floor jack to raise the car a bit more and kicking the #@^^&@# jack out from under it. But the bigger concern I had after fiddling with it, was it going to actually fit under the car if the tire was deflated. I didnt have a chance to test that before I sent it back to Amazon. I was using a 300 watt battery pack to run it and could not do it.

I do have the breaker bar tho :). I just need way that can safely and easily lift 5,000 lbs thats pretty low to the ground. I plan to experiment around with a few things over the next couple of months.

Edit - this is the electric jack I tried.. junk
Interesting... Most people I know that got the electric jack got one that looks like this one. I personally don't have one, as I use an air jack at home. Also, are you sure your battery outputs 300W at 12V? A lot of the portable batteries I've seen (I have a few of them), only output 300+W on the 120v plug, not the 12v plug. A lot of them only output 50-80W on the 12v plug. I know the VIAIR air compressor that I use requires the full 12v/15A, so normally, you are supposed to use a pigtail and connect it straight to the car battery. But I know Tesla is finnicky about when you do that, and having it mess with the DC-DC convertor trying to measure drain, which is why I use a DeWalt 20V air compressor on our Tesla. When I tried my VIAIR with my lunchbox battery, it kept tripping the circuit breaker, because it doesn't output a high enough current on the 12v plug.

Regardless, I wouldn't trust a scissor jack with the Tesla. The one I linked above, I believe is an electric actuated hydraulic jack. I haven't used it personally myself, but I know a bunch of people that swear by them.

Reactions: SteelClouds
Interesting... Most people I know that got the electric jack got one that looks like this one. I personally don't have one, as I use an air jack at home. Also, are you sure your battery outputs 300W at 12V? A lot of the portable batteries I've seen (I have a few of them), only output 300+W on the 120v plug, not the 12v plug. A lot of them only output 50-80W on the 12v plug. I know the VIAIR air compressor that I use requires the full 12v/15A, so normally, you are supposed to use a pigtail and connect it straight to the car battery. But I know Tesla is finnicky about when you do that, and having it mess with the DC-DC convertor trying to measure drain, which is why I use a DeWalt 20V air compressor on our Tesla. When I tried my VIAIR with my lunchbox battery, it kept tripping the circuit breaker, because it doesn't output a high enough current on the 12v plug.

Regardless, I wouldn't trust a scissor jack with the Tesla. The one I linked above, I believe is an electric actuated hydraulic jack. I haven't used it personally myself, but I know a bunch of people that swear by them.
Are these types of jacks low enough to get under a Tesla if the tire is deflated? Looks like minimum height is 6.1"

Phone calls always go to voice mail.
Yep, absolutely no way to talk to an actual human at any of the service centers i've tried in california.

Compact compressor / patch kit

Cheap and easiest way to get back on the road.
I need to invest in these. I've never patched a tire myself before, I need to learn for emergencies.

That's great but it may have been a pilot program.
Tesla told me that they do repair tires if they are repairable, but the problem in my scenario was that they did not have the tire in stock as backup (in case the tire is not repairable). Apparently if they do not have the tire in stock, they don't even come out to assess.

I think I just know now that I should get towed straight to tire shops rather than trying to figure out a solution (outside of towing) with Tesla. It seems like most tire shops in Cali at least are used to working on Teslas. And apparently it's common to be able to get your tires patched up for free there.

I need to invest in these. I've never patched a tire myself before, I need to learn for emergencies.
The corded patches are easy to use.. the better kits have some goop to help seal them but even the ones without the good can work well within certain parameters. It does take some muscle to shove them into the tire. and with the tire on the car, the angles are hard.

Are these types of jacks low enough to get under a Tesla if the tire is deflated? Looks like minimum height is 6.1"
I haven't jacked up my Tesla yet, but I know I had clearance issues with my Infiniti Red Sport, so that's why I have a small block of wood, that I just roll the wheel onto, which gives me enough clearance to fit the jack... Annoying yes, but it is what it is. Since we got an RV a while ago, I just use those leveling blocks to roll the car onto instead of the wood block. Anderson blocks are easiest as they are designed roll the tire onto, to raise the vehicle.

Reactions: SteelClouds
I think I just know now that I should get towed straight to tire shops rather than trying to figure out a solution (outside of towing) with Tesla. It seems like most tire shops in Cali at least are used to working on Teslas. And apparently it's common to be able to get your tires patched up for free there.
A little while ago, I had a blowout in my other car. (Metal plating put a hole in my sidewall). I took it to Discount/America's Tire. They didn't have the tire I wanted (DWS-06 Plus), so they gave me a used tire I could use temporarily while the tire I wanted/needed arrived a few days later.

Run flats are known for a harsh ride, are prone to sidewall blowouts when running over pot holes. Besides, there is currently no run flat tire from any tire manufacturer in the size, extra load (XL) rating and load index needed for the Tesla Model Y.

Reactions: 101dals
Run flats are known for a harsh ride, are prone to sidewall blowouts when running over pot holes. Besides, there is currently no run flat tire from any tire manufacturer in the size, extra load (XL) rating and load index needed for the Tesla Model Y.
Makes sense. I came from 18" run flats and these 21" tires aren't that rough at all. lol

This is why most luxury brands have moved to run flats.
I got rid of the run flats on my Infiniti... They were the same runflats that come on many BMWs. The BMW/Infiniti boards were full of threads where people found that runflats have a higher chance of blowouts per miles driven than non-runflats on the same car. Usually becuase the sidwall blows out on impact. Plus when I had a blowout, one replacement tire was $500. I replaced all 4 tires with DWS-06 Plus, and haven't looked back.

I got rid of the run flats on my Infiniti... They were the same runflats that come on many BMWs. The BMW/Infiniti boards were full of threads where people found that runflats have a higher chance of blowouts per miles driven than non-runflats on the same car. Usually becuase the sidwall blows out on impact. Plus when I had a blowout, one replacement tire was $500. I replaced all 4 tires with DWS-06 Plus, and haven't looked back.
Wife just got a QX50 and the runflats ride pretty rough. My C300 did too, but they have saved us since we've gotten screws / nails in our tires multiple times during our 3 year leases. Just replaced one of her run flats for $250 for an 18".

This is why most luxury brands have moved to run flats.
I had run flats on my last 2 Mini Coopers (14 years of ownership of them). I've never had so many blow outs. I am not exaggerating when I said I had over 30 flats with them. The local Midas stocked them just for me because the LIE and Belt parkway are so pothole riddled. And, with a blow out, once that side wall is gone, you better hope that you can limp to a place that has a spare. Good luck in finding a 205/45/R17 (I have the size burned in my brain).....

Before Covid hit this company was planning to introduce a universal spare wheel and tire:

GUNIWHEEL™ | Universal Wheel Solutions

Note: Guniwheel is not approved for road use as it has a solid rubber tire, not inflated tire. The company is also developing Gunispare.

GUNIWHEEL - COMING SOON! Our patented universal bolt...
Those type of wheels with solid rubber are also used during the transport of luxury cars and SUV.
The original wheels are transported separately, so they don't get scratched or stolen, and get installed when the car is sold.

Cadillac with red wheels.jpg

Last edited:
Those type of wheels with solid rubber are used during the transport of luxury cars and SUV.
The original wheels are transported separately and installed when the car is sold.

Also used to tow vehicles in the event the wheels have been stolen off of the vehicle.

Also used to tow vehicles in the event the wheels have been stolen off of the vehicle.
Yes, indeed:

Wife just got a QX50 and the runflats ride pretty rough. My C300 did too, but they have saved us since we've gotten screws / nails in our tires multiple times during our 3 year leases. Just replaced one of her run flats for $250 for an 18".
Usually screws and nails don't cause you to suddenly lose air, just slow leak, that you can fillup, then drive to the tire center to have it patched... When I had runflats, I literally hit the damaged section of road at 5 mph... It ruptured the bead on my runflat, causing me to instantly lose all air pressure... I was able to drive to Discount Tire like this... However, if it was a non-runflat, I'm 99.9% sure my bead wouldn't have ruptured...

Reactions: 101dals
Tesla Service does not repair tires. In some areas Tesla can arrange to loan you a wheel and tire for a few days until you can have your damaged tire repaired or replaced.

Tesla Roadside Assistance can be reached by phone. Roadside Assistance will contact a contracted vehicle towing service for your area. The tow service may have a loaner wheel and tire but can't be expected to have every size wheel and tire combination for the full lineup of Tesla vehicles.

You have to balance the cost of carrying a spare wheel and tire with the inconvenience of your travel plans being interrupted until a suitable replacement tire can be found.

At a minimum when taking a trip away from your home location bring a 12V tire inflation air pump and a tire plug kit. Consider purchasing the Modern Spare kit for your Tesla Vehicle.
Any recommendations on where to get the modern Spare Kit for Tesla’s? I see that in some states Teslas come with a flat tire kit by law since they do not have a spare tire. Thanks in advance!