Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Horrible and Terrible Day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ModelXBoy

No More Door Captain of TMC! Oh Yeah Baby!
Jan 3, 2016
Orange County, CA
OMG so many problems happened to me!

Ok let me start by saying Tesla Costa Mesa service is doing a fantastic job taking care of me. But here is what happened today after just less than 24 hours of owning the Model X:

1. wheel alignment is off, when staring wheel is straight, car pull left.
2. part of my door on both side did not get painted!!! What? I will attach some pictures, also some scratch also!
3. This is the one that pissed me off the most, the driver side door stopped opening. I tried to pull the car into my garage and exited from the driver side. Once door closed, it is no longer want to open. The funny part of it is the car shows the driver side door is already open, but the metal latch is still hooked. I tried opening the door from the inside, tried using center console to open. Nothing worked!

Called Tesla Roadside Assistance and they will call the Costa Mesa service to consolidate all three problems to be fixed asap! I am still waiting for the call from Tesla Service Costa Mesa!

What a day! Just horrible!

Sorry for the rant, please check your Model X to see any of my problems might occur on your car.

ModelXBoy!

Attachments

• IMG_5633.JPG
    IMG_5633.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 1,598
  • IMG_5631.JPG
    IMG_5631.JPG
    358.3 KB · Views: 1,285
  • IMG_5632.JPG
    IMG_5632.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 1,266
  • Informative
Reactions: mmd and cwerdna
Tesla has great service and they will take care of all this for you.
I am sure that this is not one of the vehicles that Elon personally tested to make sure it is perfect.

How long ago did you call Roadside Assistance?

Really cute dog picture! Is that a Maltese?

Tesla has great service and they will take care of all this for you.
I am sure that this is not one of the vehicles that Elon personally tested to make sure it is perfect.

How long ago did you call Roadside Assistance?

Really cute dog picture! Is that a Maltese?

I called 30 min ago, the service is always great with Tesla. The quality of the car I am not so sure. I always tell myself to just don't look so in detail, it's a great car, any little quality problem should be tolerated. Here is the problem, when i was doing charging at a super charger in Fountain Valley CA today, one Model S owner spotted the problem with the paint issue.

Well, car is dead right now, passenger door is not able to close and driver door is not able to open. I really think this is a software issue. Waiting for Tesla to call me back to try to power on first, then decide to drive it or tow it.

It's a Havanese! Cuban dog! Little cutie!

Definitely Unfortunate! Makes me very worried about my X. (if I really get it next month). Hopefully Tesla will fix everything for you, they need to understand that they can't cut corners. I think they feel as if they can get away with it currently due to the positive reviews from magazines but soon consumer reports will report the truth so sales and stock prices will fall down (again). Also, many new owners won't be as accepting to these build quality issues either.

Did you get a loaner or any perks? Also, can you tell me about your experience with the panoramic windshield (since we are in the same area)? Lemme know when you get a sunshade.

Thanks

Kind of unusual that they haven't called you back yet. No sure what is more important than calling back on such an important issue for their flagship product.

There were some earlier threads about doors not closing properly and being out of sync - may want to see if there are any clues in there about how to at least get that fixed.

Worse case, take the dog for a walk until they call you back and enjoy that experience! Haven't seen a Havanese before - looks really great.

Definitely Unfortunate! Makes me very worried about my X. (if I really get it next month). Hopefully Tesla will fix everything for you, they need to understand that they can't cut corners. I think they feel as if they can get away with it currently due to the positive reviews from magazines but soon consumer reports will report the truth so sales and stock prices will fall down (again). Also, many new owners won't be as accepting to these build quality issues either.

Did you get a loaner or any perks? Also, can you tell me about your experience with the panoramic windshield (since we are in the same area)? Lemme know when you get a sunshade.

Thanks

The Panoramic windshield is wonderful! It's big ,bright and you get a great view and visibility from it. Sunshade still out of stock, but Tesla put all of us who did not receive a sunshade in the system to ship those out asap when they receive them. The loaner is still undetermined. I need a 4 door car because my wife is delivering the baby Tuesday night! I can't drive my GTR if you know what i mean.

Hopefully all will be fixed and no more issues with the X. I still love the X, it's by far the best car in the world. Those quality issues should be eliminated because it's too minor of a problem IMO. Very easy to fix problems.

Thanks.

Kind of unusual that they haven't called you back yet. No sure what is more important than calling back on such an important issue for their flagship product.

There were some earlier threads about doors not closing properly and being out of sync - may want to see if there are any clues in there about how to at least get that fixed.

Worse case, take the dog for a walk until they call you back and enjoy that experience! Haven't seen a Havanese before - looks really great.

They called back. They need to find someone who has experience with the X to first of all turn on the car, they have to find a way to close passenger door. If not, they can't even tow the car, it's stuck in the garage with the door open like that. Then we go from there.... waiting for the to call back again...

The Panoramic windshield is wonderful! It's big ,bright and you get a great view and visibility from.

Cool, glad you like it. Is the tint adequate? It has been very sunny lately and it will be in the mid-upper 80's this week!

They called back. They need to find someone who has experience with the X to first of all turn on the car, they have to find a way to close passenger door. If not, they can't even tow the car, it's stuck in the garage with the door open like that. Then we go from there.... waiting for the to call back again...

At least the X didn't leave you stranded in a "bad area". Imagine leaving the doors open in downtown LA/Santa Ana

I guess I understand now why others like @ohmman delayed their delivery

Darn! I am super nervous about delivery Wednesday because of posts like this. They take so long at QC and then this happens? Sorry! I hope they get it fixed quickly.

Well, there is nothing to be nervous about. Be courageous, lol. Just don't look the details or you will disappoint. I don't even look at little scratches here and there, but my car is currently dead. So it's inevitable. I still have faith in Tesla, i just cancelled all my plan for the night to deal with the car. I wish once all fixed there won't be future problems.

I guess I understand now why others like @ohmman delayed their delivery
. This is exactly why we cancelled our MX P90D. We live between two SC that are each 90+ minutes away. Too many early problems that have been reported in these forums still exist and now the door problem is running rampant, regardless of if it is software or hardware. I have experienced door problems helping a person take delivery of a MX, and the owner of another MX that was showing the MX spoke of issues with the doors occasionally not opening or closing.

Nobody should be surprised. Tesla needs new production and QA management.

Reactions: AnOutsider
Sorry to hear of your trouble! Please let us know how it works out and what they do to correct the door situation!

Have you tried rebooting the system? (hold down the steering wheel buttons until it reboots)

Let me try this, This might work!

Well, the car is now powered on, driver door still not able to open, passenger door still can not be shut. Weird!

Here are three pictures of the car position:

1. shows the butt sticking out so garage door can not be closed
2. Passenger door can not be closed, i don't want to force it. Hydraulic shots are stuck in it's opening position, unable to retract
3. driver door is currently open, but you can see in the pic it's still latched, can not open.

Attachments

• IMG_5638.JPG
    IMG_5638.JPG
    325.9 KB · Views: 1,196
  • IMG_5636.JPG
    IMG_5636.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 1,200
  • IMG_5635.JPG
    IMG_5635.JPG
    262.5 KB · Views: 1,194
Last edited:
Really sorry about your problems. Three people I know with X's have had related problems. I was using one's charger and while he and I were talking his driver door suddenly unlatched for no apparent reason.

I don't think the Model X was ready for production. Hopefully they can recover on the X and then nail it with the 3 to get their reputation back.