Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Leather Dash Creases/Cracks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I just picked up my first Model S yesterday (car details below).

For the most part I didn't have any noticeable issues except for one that I would consider rather major.

In numerous areas, my leather was creased/cracked really bad. In one area on the passenger side dash, it was probably cracked (all vertical) 30 times in a four inch wide area. Cracks is honestly the best way to describe vs. creases.

Tesla delivery took a picture for the file, but I somehow didn't. I know this thread is nearly useless without one, but I immediately took my car from delivery to the body shop for a full wrap and tint. When I get it back this upcoming weekend, I will add photos.

Anyone else have these issues on their car? I don't think these types of severe creases should appear ever on the dash or doors, but certainly not on delivery. It's even more odd to me because I thought the white seats were "fake" leather. I'd think stretching issues on install, etc. shouldn't be an issue, but I could be wrong.

Tesla didn't have much for me yesterday, but said they would do some research and follow up.

I get concerned mostly because it could be a major dash replacement in order to fix it. That always gets a bit iffy from my past experience with dash issues in other cars (mostly BMW). They often messed something else up when fixing the dash.

Model S 75
Pearl White Multi-Coat Paint
Sunroof
19" Slipstream Wheels
Ultra White Tesla Premium Seats
Carbon Fiber Trim
Black Headliner
Free Supercharging
Enhanced Autopilot
Smart Air Suspension
Premium Interior Package
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Subzero Weather Package

After a few days...

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    969 KB · Views: 398
Yeah, the seats kind of are what they are at this point. I'm referring to other areas like the rounded corner to the left of the glove box, etc..

This thread will make more sense once I get my car back this weekend and can post some photos.

Hopefully Tesla will have an answer for me before then. I've looked at numerous cars at multiple showrooms so I already know it's an anomaly on my car.

I picked mine up 10 days ago. Have black leather premium seats. After 10 days of driving I saw crease on driver's seat and one small crease on the rear passenger seat (which is surprising because no one sat in the seat!). Any ideas on how to fix it or get it fixed?

I picked mine up 10 days ago. Have black leather premium seats. After 10 days of driving I saw crease on driver's seat and one small crease on the rear passenger seat (which is surprising because no one sat in the seat!). Any ideas on how to fix it or get it fixed?

There's a ton of threads on seat quality, creases, etc. and the reality, for me anyway, is that the seat quality just isn't there. Keep them conditioned and cleaned the best you can. Of course, Tesla will replace the seats if requested, but the chance that it happens again based on what I've read is high.

An interesting response from Tesla today regarding my dash issue.

"I had a chance to look at other cars with white interior today and everyone shows the small ripples along the edge. If we were to replace the dash it would appear as yours does currently. If you do see "cracks" in the leather we will certainly replace it for you."

I've requested photos of these other cars because I am really surprised by this statement. I guess this could be accurate and obviously quality issues are well documented, but it's so silly and unacceptable for something like this to make it out of the factory.

An interesting response from Tesla today regarding my dash issue.

"I had a chance to look at other cars with white interior today and everyone shows the small ripples along the edge. If we were to replace the dash it would appear as yours does currently. If you do see "cracks" in the leather we will certainly replace it for you."

I've requested photos of these other cars because I am really surprised by this statement. I guess this could be accurate and obviously quality issues are well documented, but it's so silly and unacceptable for something like this to make it out of the factory.

Such typical response. It is obviously a problem but if another 10 cars have it in the showroom then it's not a problem? I'm sometimes baffled at these responses to customers who spend in the region of $100k...

In numerous areas, my leather was creased/cracked really bad. In one area on the passenger side dash, it was probably cracked (all vertical) 30 times in a four inch wide area
Not doubting your description, but the dash is not leather. It is plastic and Alcantara on some cars.

I assume your car is new and not CPO.

I'm sure Tesla will fix it if your car is new.

Such typical response. It is obviously a problem but if another 10 cars have it in the showroom then it's not a problem? I'm sometimes baffled at these responses to customers who spend in the region of $100k...
I received a similar response regarding the rubber trim around the exposed radar on my pre-refresh car being misaligned/peeled back... "Look, they're all like that... see?" "Well if they're all like that, then they were all done incorrectly at the factory and dozens of cars from different production batches and years all breezed through inspection without anyone noticing or caring. That's not something you should be normalizing."

They fixed it, but that wasn't the point. Easily half of the little things I've mentioned to service centers haven't been things that bother me or that I particularly care about... rather, they're things that shouldn't have been missed by quality control either at the factory or during delivery prep. They can't fix their process if they don't know the problems exist.

Reactions: gabeincal
Does the piece above/around the glove box come off the same way?

That's where the biggest issue is (see image).

If so, good to know.

View attachment 216557

I don't think the covering in that area is leather. It's vinyl, which makes "cracks" all the more strange.

Cracks in leather (a better description might be splits) usually appear as it ages and on new leather would be highly unusual. Of course, leather is cow hide and it has many natural flaws, which are usually covered with fillers and other surface treatments. But it would be unusual for those flaws to appear in a new car.

I believe we're talking about two different areas, because the area I'm talking about is the same leather as the seats.
Okay. Your post uses the word "dash" multiple times, as does the thread title. Maybe if you could describe the effected areas more precisely we could understand the situation better.

As you noted, photos would be helpful. Based on your description, I am astonished that a brand new Tesla could have such an issue.

Since your car is brand new, Tesla will fix it.

That's because it is the dash. There's multiple pieces of the dash and various trims across the dash as a whole.

While not a picture from my car, the picture in post #5 is what I'm referring to.

From a (lack of) quality standpoint, nothing is really surprising with Tesla at this point.