Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Leather Dash Creases/Cracks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's because it is the dash. There's multiple pieces of the dash and various trims across the dash as a whole.

While not a picture from my car, the picture in post #5 is what I'm referring to.

From a (lack of) quality standpoint, nothing is really surprising with Tesla at this point.

That piece is specifically called the right hand instrument panel side cover assembly. It easily snaps right off with a firm grip.

After a few days...

This is exactly why I went with an Inventory car with the Next Gen seats vs ordering a car that would of have ventilated seats. I saw the ventilated seats in a Model X in the show room and it was clear that the seats would not stand the t st of time. The seats were wavy from people getting in and out of that car hundreds if not thousands of times - and it makes sense, all those little holes are gong to make the leather stretch vs a solid piece of leather.

Yes heated ventilated seats. I asked service center for a seat replacement. They said 5 week wait. I'm not even sure they officially ordered the part. o_O

Kind of sucks that I have to ask this as I await my ventilated seats, but you got no hassle from them when you asked for new seats after the ventilated seats failed you? Thanks for confirming. . . At least that will give me solace that the option will be there for me when mine fall apart.

I received a similar response regarding the rubber trim around the exposed radar on my pre-refresh car being misaligned/peeled back... "Look, they're all like that... see?" "Well if they're all like that, then they were all done incorrectly at the factory and dozens of cars from different production batches and years all breezed through inspection without anyone noticing or caring. That's not something you should be normalizing."

They fixed it, but that wasn't the point. Easily half of the little things I've mentioned to service centers haven't been things that bother me or that I particularly care about... rather, they're things that shouldn't have been missed by quality control either at the factory or during delivery prep. They can't fix their process if they don't know the problems exist.
Makes you wonder what all they missed "under the hood" and where you can't see...

I have a refreshed 90D with Grey next gen seats, produced in June. Seats are great and the leather is holding up like in any other car. But a month ago I was inside an inventory X90D with premium ventilated seats and 4k miles and the seats were in a very bad shape, really creased. At the time I thought the problem was the premium seats now being built in house, but now I realize it was probably the perfurated seats. I would complain if my seats were like that.

Only a few hundred miles so far, but my heated/cooled white seats seem to be pretty good quality.

Tesla has also come back to me after additional research and said the dash issues I pointed out are in fact not normal and will be replaced.
curious that it has to be 'researched' ... to determine if that level of junky-ness is 'normal' or not - rather than Tesla being shocked that such an occurrence was able to happen.