Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Model X delivery Fremont, car was so bad Tesla said to rebuild new one

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A delivery advisor contacted me today to schedule the delivery of my new/rebuilt car for Sept 22, so about 2 weeks out. Last time, they contacted me only a few days before delivery, after my Tesla account showed the car had been built and was in transit from factory... as of today, my Tesla Account isn't even showing the car has entered production... I just hope they don't mass produce a bunch of Model X in a hurry over the next couple of weeks without any Quality Control like last time...

Thank you for the update. I was contacted today by a delivery advisor for my rebuild as well. Scheduled it for 9/18. They were much more communicative this time around for me as well. Hoping for a much better experience and a better quality vehicle for us!

Reactions: neroden
I just got a call from Tesla Delivery saying that my car has not yet completed production, so they had to cancel my delivery appointment for tomorrow. They couldn't tell me when it would be ready for delivery, so they did not give me the option to reschedule. Supposedly I'll be receiving a call when it's ready to be scheduled. It doesn't jive with what the sales manager told me last week; she said that according to their database, my car finished production on 9/10 and they needed a 7-day window to conduct QC/QA.

Well, that's disappointing seedym! My car went into production last week and finished production Sat and I got the final amount due today (Mon). I'm hoping they do better QC/QA than last time (shouldn't be hard) but 7 days QA sounds extreme... how long can it take realistically? In 10 minutes last time, I could tell all the bad exterior defects (including door bump) that QA missed...

Yeah, the 7 days didn't make sense to me, especially given the state of the car I had rejected.

I called the sales manager at my local Tesla, and she just found an exact match "pre-production" vehicle that will be delivered to Costa Mesa. Per the notes on the match, the previous assignees could not wait for the MX to be delivered because their lease was up on their car, so they transferred their funds to an inventory MS. It only has 9 miles on it. I'm scheduled to pick this one up this Thursday. Fingers crossed that this one looks good.

I took delivery of mine at Fremont (in hindsight I should have declined delivery) and I was also told that 7 days is for QA/QC, which apparently wasn't enough given the various issues my car has right now that I am trying to get fixed by SC. Some are major issues, which I want to get resolved first. Despite these, I love my MX, nothing like it out there at the moment.

If you find even one major issue, based on my experience dealing with them afterwards, it is best to just have them rebuild if you can wait - saves you a lot of time and hassle later.

Congrats and good luck on the new car!

I took delivery of mine at Fremont (in hindsight I should have declined delivery) and I was also told that 7 days is for QA/QC, which apparently wasn't enough given the various issues my car has right now that I am trying to get fixed by SC. Some are major issues, which I want to get resolved first. Despite these, I love my MX, nothing like it out there at the moment.

If you find even one major issue, based on my experience dealing with them afterwards, it is best to just have them rebuild if you can wait - saves you a lot of time and hassle later.

Congrats and good luck on the new car!

What issues did/are you having?

Jeff

Good luck on the new car seedym! One thing I would be concerned about now with rebuilding a new car is whether the free supercharger will follow or not...

bayx, how has been your experience with getting SC to fix your car? Have you been on a waiting list to be seen / parts ordered or are things getting promptly fixed?

I thought my experience from 3 years ago was good and decided to buy it this time. But this thread definitely got me worried.

The original delivery date of my MX is supposed to be today but they emailed me over the weekend saying that it's delayed by 2 days. And I have not talked to the owner advisor even once to go over what documents I need to bring.

Both QC and customer service are down the drain, apparently.

Reactions: neroden
It seems to me that the people in CA got it worse than anyone else. I have have heard a few bad deliveries in OR and WA but not too many. I wouldn't stress about it, just dont pay for your car until you are happy with it.

I think that may have to do with population and preferences. A lot of people in California (14% of US population) and EVs are huge here. Yesterday, I saw at least 20 Model 3s driving around my town of 50,000 and probably 10 Model S and X. I went to the grocery store and there were 4 or 5 Model S or X in the parking lot, and strangely, no Model 3s.

Reactions: P85_DA
I thought my experience from 3 years ago was good and decided to buy it this time. But this thread definitely got me worried.

The original delivery date of my MX is supposed to be today but they emailed me over the weekend saying that it's delayed by 2 days. And I have not talked to the owner advisor even once to go over what documents I need to bring.

Both QC and customer service are down the drain, apparently.

I've had to initiate calls and emails to get everything sorted out. Call your local Tesla store manager; mine has been very responsive and has pushed the right people to make sure things get done. It may have helped that I paid the store a visit and had some face time with the manager.

One thing I would be concerned about now with rebuilding a new car is whether the free supercharger will follow or not...

The store manager at my local Tesla assured me that the unlimited free supercharging would follow the new build. The upside on the new build is that I did get the PUP at the current cost (included, but even with the increase in base price it costs less than it previously did if added on).

Your grocery store is located in a rich folks area!;)

Rick folk seems a little odd for someone in SF to say. :) Just kidding.

I am in Pleasanton. Lots of retired people here, living by the country club. And a lot drive Teslas (and Ferrari, Lambos, etc.). I see them all at the grocery store. Funny to watch guys trying to get 2 or 3 cases of beer into a Lambo. Last time I saw someone do this the guy in the passenger seat had to put them on his lap.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: dogldogl and bayx
I just got my car, and it looks mighty fine! Let me just say that the delivery experience in Costa Mesa was WAY better than the experience we had at the San Diego delivery center. I'm happy to be part of the Tesla family!
X front.jpg