Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Noise/Creaking from Performance 3 with Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been getting these horrible noise coming from my dash area on my performance model 3. I took the wood trim off and was not able to find where this noise is coming from.

Here is a link to the sound/noise:

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! This noise is driving me insane.

Does the noise stop when you remove the wood trim piece and drive?

I had a rattle coming from what I thought was the steering column but it was actually the whole wood trim piece creaking. So I ended up taking the piece off and just placing some foam in the area behind the screen and putting the wood trim back on such that the foam was sandwiched inside. That was enough to stop the piece from creaking.

Does the noise stop when you remove the wood trim piece and drive?

I had a rattle coming from what I thought was the steering column but it was actually the whole wood trim piece creaking. So I ended up taking the piece off and just placing some foam in the area behind the screen and putting the wood trim back on such that the foam was sandwiched inside. That was enough to stop the piece from creaking.
The noise was unfortunately still present even when I removed the wood trim, although it seemed slightly less loud (not sure if placebo).

Hm in that case, hope someone else has a better suggest.. =(. Only thing I can suggest is to ask a passenger to help you listen to see if they can locate it better. Maybe also empty the glovebox and the centre console to eliminate any other possibilities.

Does it change at all with HVAC settings? There are a few louvers/vents internal to that system which can come loose and cause some clicking noises. Though my first guess was the wood trim mounting clips, but since you took it off i doubt it's that.

Does it change at all with HVAC settings? There are a few louvers/vents internal to that system which can come loose and cause some clicking noises. Though my first guess was the wood trim mounting clips, but since you took it off i doubt it's that.
It doesn't. I changed HVAC from auto, to off, to sync, nothing works :/

Just wait for the next louder noise, then you won't hear that one anymore. My model 3 makes all sorts of vibration and creaks as it approaches it's second birthday. :(

May it's the passenger door panel? I had to have mine redone 3 or 4 times before they finally put it back on without breaking the clips.

Just wait for the next louder noise, then you won't hear that one anymore. My model 3 makes all sorts of vibration and creaks as it approaches it's second birthday. :(

May it's the passenger door panel? I had to have mine redone 3 or 4 times before they finally put it back on without breaking the clips.
Oh god, that would be terrible haha

I guess I'll take it to a service center soon when I get the chance

You could also just dive faster so you hear the wind and whistling noises that are extremely loud, good the roof and windshield, those should cover up the rattle. My 3 had almost as much wind noise as a 10 test old geo metro... how cheap it feels when you can hear the wind whistling so loud. Sometimes it's louder than our 3500 that needs a new window seal.

But let us know if you figure it out, mine makes similar creaking noises, pretty sure Tesla will say it's within spec.

• Funny
Reactions: cochran
You could also just dive faster so you hear the wind and whistling noises that are extremely loud, good the roof and windshield, those should cover up the rattle. My 3 had almost as much wind noise as a 10 test old geo metro... how cheap it feels when you can hear the wind whistling so loud. Sometimes it's louder than our 3500 that needs a new window seal.

But let us know if you figure it out, mine makes similar creaking noises, pretty sure Tesla will say it's within spec.
If Tesla says its within spec that would be ridiculous. Especially on a car worth nearly $60k

If Tesla says its within spec that would be ridiculous. Especially on a car worth nearly $60k
Welcome to being a Tesla Owner. I have double vision with my replacement windshield, they tested it with some sort of scanner, it's within spec according to them, even though as a real human I see two of every headlight at night and the sides of the window distort everything and make it look wavy, but if I want they can replace it with another in spec windshield for about $1200.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cochran
Welcome to being a Tesla Owner. I have double vision out my replacement windshield, they tested it with some sort of scanner, it's within spec according to them, even though as a real human I see two of every headlight at night and the sides of the window distort everything and make it look wavy, but if I want they can replace it with another in spec windshield for about $1200.
Yikes