Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Roadside Assistance in DC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a MY2023 in December from the Tysons Corner SC in Virginia.

Last night, while driving back from a dinner near the US Capitol in DC, I hit something and lost all pressure in the rear left tire. I pulled over in front of the Capitol and tried reinflating with a aftermarket sealant to no avail. This was 930 pm. I contacted Tesla Roadside Assistance (TRA) and was told that they could only come over at 9 am Friday! No Tesla contracted tow truck was available. This was ridiculous, as I was on a busy road! I had to wait 5 hours for AAA to send a tow truck to tow me home. At that time I asked for a TRA mobile tire repair to come to my house, and TRA said that someone would be coming between 9 am and 1 pm the next day.

Meanwhile the US Capitol Police came by several times to check on me and make sure I wasn't going to storm the Capitol or vote against McCarthy again, LOL. Very nice folks and they also shocked by the lack of response from TRA.

Well, 1 pm passed at home and no one showed up. I called TRA and they contacted the tire repair guy. He said that he had no tires in stock, and that his repair van was not functional and he probably would not be able to come until Tuesday, after the MLK holiday. He told me to "calm down" because I was now safe at home and that i could "relax" over the weekend.

I then called TRA again, and only then did they offer to send a temporary tire, and then have TRA mobile tire repair come next week with the replacement. If they had offered that to me as the first option, I wouldn't be as pissed now. Plus I live only 10 minutes away from Tesla Tysons Corner! How hard would it be to send someone over from there!

So that's where we are, waiting for the TRA temporary tire. I told the TRA staff that they were lucky i wasn't hurt or involved in any incident at the Capitol, otherwise I would be on social media or even Fox or CNN!

The TRA mobile repair guy came today to install the replacement tire. Very nice guy and very fast.

He said that he had talked with TRA about my saga and explained as follows:

1. Tesla cannot operate service centers in DC because DC law does not allow for this. Thus, the TRA subcontractors in DC do not always keep a full stock of temporary tires or replacement tires because they can't be bothered to cross into VA or MD to keep current stock all of the time.

2. The towing company used by TRA in DC is notoriously slow and unresponsive. They don't care (his words not mine).

3. The guy suggested that next time I go into DC (which is just across the river for me), either bring the spare or call AAA to have me towed to VA. The towing company used by TRA in VA does have 24 access to the Tyson SC stock of tires.

4. I asked about what the DC Tesla owners do; they wind up calling AAA or someone else to tow them to Tysons SC.

In other words, DC is the Wild West as far as TRA is concerned.