Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Second Week of Ownership (rented an ICE while on vacation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i 100% agree with the OP, even just thinking of electric will spoil you.

right now i have a genesis coupe, in 2009 when i bought it it was the most fun car for the money, 300HP, 6SPD, RWD, LSD, just awesome all around, even has the upgraded 380W Infinity sound system. Not a single problem since purchase.

but now, after seeing what tesla offers, i hate my car

i hate oil changes, taking the stupid thing to the dealer for a simple bluetooth update, going to costco for gas every couple weeks, checking oil levels, keeping a fuel log, changing or cleaning the air filter, checking brake pad levels, not having instant power, not having regen for braking, making sure the injectors are clean, seafoaming the engine every 5 years (havent on this car but i did on my old one) burning gas to speed up, burning gas to slow down.

just ridiculous that we lived this long with such garbage.

Going to vacation on Kauai in 2 days. Renting an economy classed Ford. This is gonna suck. On the bright side, it's only 5 days without the Tesla and I'll appreciate it that much more when I return.

... I could go on and one about the countless features the Model S has that our rental car didn’t (auto dimming mirrors, rear view mirrors that reposition on reverse, etc), but it’s obvious: the Tesla Model S has set a new standard. Sure there are some considerations when you drive an electric vehicle, but there are always considerations when you drive. Pick your poison, I’ll pick the one that doesn’t pollute the air.

Now I could be nasty and rant about all the things my car has (as have countless others) that the Model S hasn't...
But I won't.

But to say it "has set a new standard" is a bit vague. It has certainly set a new standard for electric cars, and I am sure it is far better than your average rental car. But auto dimming mirrors, rear view mirrors that reposition in reverese? Come on, really, what's special about that?

Nuff said.

I really want to rent an EV ( probably a Leaf ) when I am on vacation. I want to be 100% ICE free, even when renting.
I think I could charge it at most places I stay, and the daily range wouldn't be an issue. I've seen plug in spots at some of the places I go.
The big problem I have is that it can't get my family + luggage ( baby stroller ) from the airport to where I stay.
It's crazy, but what I want for the Leaf is a little trailer or roof box for that airport - hotel trip. I would only need it twice per trip.

If I could rent a Model S, then there would be no issue at all.

Same stable Prius, Highlander Hybrid. The wife hated driving the Prius cuz the Highlander was soooo much better. Now... If my trip is more than 3 days, the Highlander goes to the airport with me (the wife fills it up for me at least) and the S stays with her.

+1 on the chalk board sound of an ICE!
+1 on "let's hear it start" jaw drop.

I used to think the Highlander was pretty peppy, now passing seems dubious and dangerous. My daughters reeally dislike the Highlander especially since they have the rear seats now.

solution: Her 60S is going to production today! :)

(Explained to the kids that their inheritance will be air that's a little bit cleaner and a couple of Model S classics.)

This really begs the question - to avoid the shock of mediocre rental cars, is it common to rent nicer cars like Audi, BMW or MBs? So I searched the web to find out, here is what I found. So for $200-$400 a day, you can avoid the shock.

Link: Hawaii Luxury Car Rentals, Exotic Car Rentals, Newest Convertible Car Rental in Hawaii
Link: Aloha Toy Store - Exotic cars and Harley rentals - Maui Hawaii

Or you can rent a Model S for $25 per hour; which adds up to $600 per day.

Link: Rent a Black Tesla Model S in San Francisco - Getaround

This really begs the question - to avoid the shock of mediocre rental cars, is it common to rent nicer cars like Audi, BMW or MBs? So I searched the web to find out, here is what I found. So for $200-$400 a day, you can avoid the shock.
While you can avoid the shock of driving a POS, you can't avoid dealing with all the ICE issues -- noise, shifting gears, variable torque, poor control at very low speeds, need to brake, need to interact with gas stations, spewing noxious fumes.

Drove my wife's Mini to the airport a couple of weeks ago (she insisted that we not park the Model S there during a 4-day trip out of town); it was the first time I've driven a car other than the S in 3 months.

I used to love diving the Mini; now, it felt wimpy, noisy, smelly, slow and boring to drive. Oh, it does have auto-folding mirrors and rear parking sensors, like I care ;)