Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible service center experience for model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i can’t explain why some people have bad experiences with service and others don’t. Maybe it helps that if it weren’t for the warranty I’d be doing the work myself with my own tools and hands, just like i have with all my other vehicles over the years. And I don’t go back to a place that gives me a bad vibe the first go around. In my travels I’ve seen a lot of luxury car customers going back to the same place and bitching about a bad experience like fool me once. So far it’s been a good experience with my local Tesla center. If it hadn’t been after a couple of tries I probably wouldn’t still own the car.

But honestly, it’s probably because Model X has a lot more glaring design defects that tend to cause noises due to failure than Model 3, and there are orders of magnitude fewer X’s than 3’s on the road.

Last edited:
This is wrong and will be the real downfall of the brand if not addressed immediately. If Mr. Musk sees this you likely will have a new car delivered within the day and a complete service centre re-staff. But alas he will never know. Inconsiderate customer treatment is always the first sign of deadly decay. I’m waiting for my new car and things like this make me very sorry too. Cheers.
Yeah no, this has been going on since day one.

I bought my first Tesla in 2013 and i am on my 19th.

Sometimes service is good and sometimes its bad, it will never change.

You are describing the Tesla company pre Model 3. I think Pandora has left the building. 🤢

Just saw this and I highly agree. Been telling this to everyone i know that owns a tesla or wants to own one. Ever since the M3 came out their service went downhill fast. Tesla was to pre occupied on selling cars that they forgot about the service and service couldn't keep up at all. At this point i doubt they have plans to fix that anytime soon, especially that they know even with possibly the worst service in any car brand, people would still buy their cars.

Reactions: jiehan
Just saw this and I highly agree. Been telling this to everyone i know that owns a tesla or wants to own one. Ever since the M3 came out their service went downhill fast. Tesla was to pre occupied on selling cars that they forgot about the service and service couldn't keep up at all. At this point i doubt they have plans to fix that anytime soon, especially that they know even with possibly the worst service in any car brand, people would still buy their cars.
I am a staunch critic of Tesla service and have seen how they did a 180 after 2017, when Model 3 came out.

However, as much as I am surprising myself to say this, I am seeing a glimmer of hope. Twice in the past 2 weeks I had to make service appointments for my Model 3. One for a front safety restraint system fault (occupant classification filter module went bad), and just today, for driver side headlight alignment. (was advised by phone call hot fix it myself, which I did, promptly).

Both experiences were far better than almost every time before, for my Model 3. They are a bit better in treating me now, earlier it was surly insolence coupled with rude, argumentative staff.

I hope Elon is changing things up top down. I hope.

Reactions: aesculus
that first headlight photo looks bad.
I'm surprised they didn't fix it well. Try another service center.
Also, at the end of your visits, they give you a survey, put 1 star if you feel they did a horrible job.

I realized with alot of other things like vibration, they can fix it later under their 50k mile warranty or 2 years I think I had this random vibration and didn't realize it till way later, and they fixed it for me.
Check the forums because alot of people have similar issues and it may be an easy fix (seats not bolted down, loose bolt somewhere, etc)

Tesla Service Center in Sunnyvale Bay Area is so bad. They are unprofessional, incompetent, and inconsiderate. Just the worse customer service I have ever experienced.

Picked up my Model X two weeks ago.

The car has several issues that it needs to be addressed:
1. The car makes plasticky, creaky noise when driving.
2. The driver door is really hard to close. When it is not wide opened, even the automatic close isn't able to close it.
3. Several exterior trim misalignments.

I brought these issues up in a service center appointment. The advisor was basically telling me to accept these faults.

For the exterior trim, he told me to try to go find two identical Model X in the parking lot, and he assured me that I won't be able to find it, because each and every one of the Model X is built differently. He sounded so firm and proud for this just as if it was my fault to bring my vehicle for repair. They were able to address one bumper misalignment issue, but they did such a poor job that there is a new misalignment in another spot after they were done. And for another more severe misalignment, he simply said it's not fixable. I noticed these issues while picking up the vehicle, and the delivery person told me all of the exterior trim can be addressed. So I guess I was just lied to as a customer.

For the noise, he took me for a test drive trying to identify the source.. And he drove super aggressively even while we are still inside the parking lot. While he did apologize for his aggressive driving, he continue to drive like that afterward... After hearing the noise, he said this noise is normal and there is nothing they could do about it. It's "within spec", not the type of rattle or squeaky sounds they would fix. I have a friend who has a Model X just like mine and his doesn't have any noise when driving. Previously when I bought other cars, customer service was always able to fix this type of noise.

Finally, for the hard-to-close driver-side door, they failed to make any improvement. They fear moving the door, or window will lead to leakage and worsen the issue.. Again, as a customer of such a pricy vehicle, it's so frustrated to experience these.

What's even more infuriating is that, after I pick up the vehicle, I noticed my driver seat is full of dirt. (I selected white interior). This shows how inconsiderate and careless they are.

Not sure what my options are, the noise and the driver door is really bothering me.
I think I will try my luck at another service center.

This image is the trim AFTER repair. They fixed the misalignment on one side, but produced a new misalignment highlighted in the image. And among all those issues, this is the ONLY thing they could do to my vehicles.
View attachment 839419

This is another exterior trim issue that they simply said they cannot address.

View attachment 839421

I picked mine up on April 7th. It had 20+ issues. The front hood and fenders had horrible alignment but since I was getting it wrapped before the 1 month soonest appointment I could get to deal with the post delivery issues, I did all the front panel alignment myself taking about a half day to get pretty much perfect.

The FWD doors have been a nightmare. 5 service visits and every time they change something they create a new issue. For instance, on the second to last visit on Aug 3rd, the fixed a gap issue on the left FWD where the FWD rear quarter panel gap was non existent causing the door to rub against the rear quarter panel door jam which started wearing through the paint. The front gap was huge. They fixed the gaps nicely and they are now even but they also moved the glass roof forward too far so it now catches and is cracking the front roof applique. The roof bump stops are also not correct which allows the roof to dive deep between the door frame bending the seals back all the way which will eventually destroy them.

This gap issue, btw, was caused by a PREVIOUS service visit before Aug 3rd when they fixed a different alignment issue with the door where it was sagging in the back. The sagging came back because a bolt wasn't tightened enough causing the sag again but now with the gap issue.

The last visit, they. claimed they couldn't fix anything with the FWDs anymore because of the PPF I have on the car. I have NO PPF anywhere near the doors. The PPF is front hood, front bumpers, and front fenders only. Nothing near the FWDs. I pointed this out in the messages section and the SA replied that it was a mistake and they'd update the invoice with the remedy. The invoice was never updated and nothing was done to the door and they refused to respond to my query in the messages about why the invoice wasn't updated and nothing done to the door.

Now I've created yet another service appointment to get this issue sorted since they did nothing and had no explanation as to why.

On the first visit, they damaged the rear hatch and bumper and repainted them badly with the door being a totally different color. They didn't didsclose this to me or add any explanation to the invoice. The only reason I knew about it is because I went to pick up the car at the time they told me to but while I was on the way, they sent another message saying they'd need to keep it longer after all even though I'd told them 4 times in the message thread and at the time I dropped it off in person that I'd be out of the country for 11 days in the BVI. So I showed up anyways, found the car, and saw the badges were missing. It was night, so I didn't notice the color. They had no explanation as to why the badges were off. When I got back from my trip and looked it in daylight, I saw the off color of the hatch and the paint sinking under a repair that was shrinking which made me realize at that point the bumper was also repaired and painted. So my X had some sort of accident while they had it. The color wasn't the only thing off. There were fisheyes and crap within the paint everywhere. There was overspray on the trim everywhere because the trim was masked rather than removed and badly so.

I pulled the dashcam video which they did NOT stop and there was one clip of them backing it up into Preferred Auto Body in Fremont with some fan blowing and tons of debris and dust flying around. They claimed it had never been out of there possession. I then showed them the video which they had no explanation for. The timestamp was smack in the middle of the first 3 week service visit. What's ironic is that this body shop is NOT on their certified list. Note, they did eventually fix the paint of the hatch which was repainted in the factory. I turned on Teslafi after the first visit for the X which showed me everywhere it was driven even in service mode and I watched it move around at the factory itself and never left Tesla properties except to drive between the Fremont service center and the factory.

There are a half dozen continuing issues like this that have had the same sort of handling. I'm at my wits end. The car has been in for 9 weeks and has issues they've not fixed in more than 4 repair attempts so I'm well over my Magnussen-Moss odometer on both time and repair attempts.

The most serious issue is that the car pulls to the left during moderate to hard acceleration and isn't consistent. Sometimes it will fly into the left lane or shoulder of road if I'm already in the left most lane and very occasionally it accelerates perfectly straight. The alignment was crap from the factory but they did fix this and it was perfect after that but did not fix the issue. But given it's only 80% and not 100%, it's unlikely to be a static suspension component. My biggest suspicion at this point is that I have funky left rear drive unit inverter and that this issue won't be fixed until the DU dies.

They've failed to provide any diagnostic notes at all and have only said it was "within-spec" to which I replied, I always, "show me the spec" and is that what Tesla is going to say when it causes an accident?

Anyways, I could literally gone on for pages more.

You should have rejected or get in writing stuff to address on a due bill.

The A-Pillar/Hood/Fender area is a tough one. Mine is like that on the passenger side, and there's no way to make it look better without making the Driver's side look worse.

I rejected my first MXP for even more issues and was told the the DS that if I rejected another, my order might be canceled. Since my locked in price was $21K lower than the current price, I really didn't want to risk it.

Yesterday I was at the Fremont service to pick up my Model 3, and I noticed a gentleman discussing something with the techs standing at the back of a brand new Plaid X.

I just chatted the gentleman up after the techs had gone. He said the whole back of the X was repainted by someone and the paint did not match. Tesla sheepishly admitted to him it was damaged in transport and they had to send it to a shop that was not Tesla authorized because all other shops were busy.

He said that initially they tried to tell him nothing was wrong, but he was firm and probed them why the Plaid badge was missing (!), why the paint was not matching, etc. They finally backed down.

He also said a number of panels were misaligned, but Tesla insisted they were ‘within spec’.

At the end of our discussion, he said the service quality is so bad, it’s like 180 degrees from the initial days of 2013 (I told him I am also a long time customer since 2013 and can attest to that). He said ‘If it weren’t for the unreliable third party chargers, he would have gone for a different automaker’s EV‘.

I said, my thoughts, exactly.

Um, that was ME except that it wasn't damaged in transport. It was damaged while in service. Was it a blue MXP?

Last edited:
The fact that you had to slip 20-dollar bills shows that they are unprofessional. And the fact that they cannot fix it after this shows that they are incompetent.

It's probably wrong to assume all service centers are like this, but from what I have read online and from what I have experienced myself, it really seems most customer service from Tesla is just horrendous right now.

Sad thing is I'd just pay them a few $ grand happily to have my car fixed to a new condition which it never has been since I took delivery.

My 3rd row vent on Driver side has no air coming out of it.

This is one of my items from the 5th (last visit). Right rear 3rd row vent is 2.0 m/s and left is 0.9 m/s. This is with the fan on full. A neighbors 2018 is 8 m/s from both the 3rd row vents.

I pointed this out at drop off and they said they are aware of the issue and have a fix. When I picked it up, they said it was within spec!!! :(

Reactions: jiehan
I picked mine up on April 7th. It had 20+ issues. The front hood and fenders had horrible alignment but since I was getting it wrapped before the 1 month soonest appointment I could get to deal with the post delivery issues, I did all the front panel alignment myself taking about a half day to get pretty much perfect.

The FWD doors have been a nightmare. 5 service visits and every time they change something they create a new issue. For instance, on the second to last visit on Aug 3rd, the fixed a gap issue on the left FWD where the FWD rear quarter panel gap was non existent causing the door to rub against the rear quarter panel door jam which started wearing through the paint. The front gap was huge. They fixed the gaps nicely and they are now even but they also moved the glass roof forward too far so it now catches and is cracking the front roof applique. The roof bump stops are also not correct which allows the roof to dive deep between the door frame bending the seals back all the way which will eventually destroy them.

This gap issue, btw, was caused by a PREVIOUS service visit before Aug 3rd when they fixed a different alignment issue with the door where it was sagging in the back. The sagging came back because a bolt wasn't tightened enough causing the sag again but now with the gap issue.

The last visit, they. claimed they couldn't fix anything with the FWDs anymore because of the PPF I have on the car. I have NO PPF anywhere near the doors. The PPF is front hood, front bumpers, and front fenders only. Nothing near the FWDs. I pointed this out in the messages section and the SA replied that it was a mistake and they'd update the invoice with the remedy. The invoice was never updated and nothing was done to the door and they refused to respond to my query in the messages about why the invoice wasn't updated and nothing done to the door.

Now I've created yet another service appointment to get this issue sorted since they did nothing and had no explanation as to why.

On the first visit, they damaged the rear hatch and bumper and repainted them badly with the door being a totally different color. They didn't didsclose this to me or add any explanation to the invoice. The only reason I knew about it is because I went to pick up the car at the time they told me to but while I was on the way, they sent another message saying they'd need to keep it longer after all even though I'd told them 4 times in the message thread and at the time I dropped it off in person that I'd be out of the country for 11 days in the BVI. So I showed up anyways, found the car, and saw the badges were missing. It was night, so I didn't notice the color. They had no explanation as to why the badges were off. When I got back from my trip and looked it in daylight, I saw the off color of the hatch and the paint sinking under a repair that was shrinking which made me realize at that point the bumper was also repaired and painted. So my X had some sort of accident while they had it. The color wasn't the only thing off. There were fisheyes and crap within the paint everywhere. There was overspray on the trim everywhere because the trim was masked rather than removed and badly so.

I pulled the dashcam video which they did NOT stop and there was one clip of them backing it up into Preferred Auto Body in Fremont with some fan blowing and tons of debris and dust flying around. They claimed it had never been out of there possession. I then showed them the video which they had no explanation for. The timestamp was smack in the middle of the first 3 week service visit. What's ironic is that this body shop is NOT on their certified list. Note, they did eventually fix the paint of the hatch which was repainted in the factory. I turned on Teslafi after the first visit for the X which showed me everywhere it was driven even in service mode and I watched it move around at the factory itself and never left Tesla properties except to drive between the Fremont service center and the factory.

There are a half dozen continuing issues like this that have had the same sort of handling. I'm at my wits end. The car has been in for 9 weeks and has issues they've not fixed in more than 4 repair attempts so I'm well over my Magnussen-Moss odometer on both time and repair attempts.

The most serious issue is that the car pulls to the left during moderate to hard acceleration and isn't consistent. Sometimes it will fly into the left lane or shoulder of road if I'm already in the left most lane and very occasionally it accelerates perfectly straight. The alignment was crap from the factory but they did fix this and it was perfect after that but did not fix the issue. But given it's only 80% and not 100%, it's unlikely to be a static suspension component. My biggest suspicion at this point is that I have funky left rear drive unit inverter and that this issue won't be fixed until the DU dies.

They've failed to provide any diagnostic notes at all and have only said it was "within-spec" to which I replied, I always, "show me the spec" and is that what Tesla is going to say when it causes an accident?

Anyways, I could literally gone on for pages more.

Good grief! Well, Tesla is now into caring what we think of their service. So there is that. Two visits back I gave them a zero for the rude attitude and irrelevant remarks about my Model 3’s warranty expiration date. (there were still two months left, and the lady at the service center was saying ‘it’s pretty close to the end of warranty’ or some crap like that)

I spend all night doing alignment myself for the hood, door and trunk too, I have to unbolt all nuts and washer holding the hood,.

Question, how you touch up the scratch and tool mark then?