Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible service center experience for model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Service Center in Sunnyvale Bay Area is so bad. They are unprofessional, incompetent, and inconsiderate. Just the worse customer service I have ever experienced.

Picked up my Model X two weeks ago.

The car has several issues that it needs to be addressed:
1. The car makes plasticky, creaky noise when driving.
2. The driver door is really hard to close. When it is not wide opened, even the automatic close isn't able to close it.
3. Several exterior trim misalignments.

I brought these issues up in a service center appointment. The advisor was basically telling me to accept these faults.

For the exterior trim, he told me to try to go find two identical Model X in the parking lot, and he assured me that I won't be able to find it, because each and every one of the Model X is built differently. He sounded so firm and proud for this just as if it was my fault to bring my vehicle for repair. They were able to address one bumper misalignment issue, but they did such a poor job that there is a new misalignment in another spot after they were done. And for another more severe misalignment, he simply said it's not fixable. I noticed these issues while picking up the vehicle, and the delivery person told me all of the exterior trim can be addressed. So I guess I was just lied to as a customer.

For the noise, he took me for a test drive trying to identify the source.. And he drove super aggressively even while we are still inside the parking lot. While he did apologize for his aggressive driving, he continue to drive like that afterward... After hearing the noise, he said this noise is normal and there is nothing they could do about it. It's "within spec", not the type of rattle or squeaky sounds they would fix. I have a friend who has a Model X just like mine and his doesn't have any noise when driving. Previously when I bought other cars, customer service was always able to fix this type of noise.

Finally, for the hard-to-close driver-side door, they failed to make any improvement. They fear moving the door, or window will lead to leakage and worsen the issue.. Again, as a customer of such a pricy vehicle, it's so frustrated to experience these.

What's even more infuriating is that, after I pick up the vehicle, I noticed my driver seat is full of dirt. (I selected white interior). This shows how inconsiderate and careless they are.

Not sure what my options are, the noise and the driver door is really bothering me.
I think I will try my luck at another service center.

This image is the trim AFTER repair. They fixed the misalignment on one side, but produced a new misalignment highlighted in the image. And among all those issues, this is the ONLY thing they could do to my vehicles.
Trim1.jpg

This is another exterior trim issue that they simply said they cannot address.

Trim2.jpg

Reactions: jiehan and GuyDude

Tesla warranty doesn't cover noise and rattles.

That's why it's important to have the ability to test drive before accepting or rejecting the car in other brands.

2. The driver door is really hard to close. When it is not wide opened, even the automatic close isn't able to close...

The automation should be seamless. This is a defect and the delivery should be rejected.

This image is the trim AFTER repair. They fixed the misalignment on one side...

The headlight joints area is too crooked. I am not sure how you can resell your car in such condition.

You should have rejected or get in writing stuff to address on a due bill.

The A-Pillar/Hood/Fender area is a tough one. Mine is like that on the passenger side, and there's no way to make it look better without making the Driver's side look worse.

I feel sorry for the OP and have nothing to offer. Interestingly though my early 2016 MX has and has had less issues than what is being reported here. I have a few FWDs that are out about 1/8" gap differences tops, but everything else is spot on. I am 98% sure my car was hand built. Went on a factory tour the day of pickup and could see all the hand wrangling going on. We all attributed this to Tesla and the MX being early to the game. It appears that you just randomly get a good car or not, and with such a complex car as the MX, it's going to be hard to get one that does not have some issues.

BTW up until recently (if they don't cover it anymore), rattles were covered under warranty during the first year. And after that no.

This is wrong and will be the real downfall of the brand if not addressed immediately. If Mr. Musk sees this you likely will have a new car delivered within the day and a complete service centre re-staff. But alas he will never know. Inconsiderate customer treatment is always the first sign of deadly decay. I’m waiting for my new car and things like this make me very sorry too. Cheers.

Yesterday I was at the Fremont service to pick up my Model 3, and I noticed a gentleman discussing something with the techs standing at the back of a brand new Plaid X.

I just chatted the gentleman up after the techs had gone. He said the whole back of the X was repainted by someone and the paint did not match. Tesla sheepishly admitted to him it was damaged in transport and they had to send it to a shop that was not Tesla authorized because all other shops were busy.

He said that initially they tried to tell him nothing was wrong, but he was firm and probed them why the Plaid badge was missing (!), why the paint was not matching, etc. They finally backed down.

He also said a number of panels were misaligned, but Tesla insisted they were ‘within spec’.

At the end of our discussion, he said the service quality is so bad, it’s like 180 degrees from the initial days of 2013 (I told him I am also a long time customer since 2013 and can attest to that). He said ‘If it weren’t for the unreliable third party chargers, he would have gone for a different automaker’s EV‘.

I said, my thoughts, exactly.

Denial of Service. Making the new happy excited buyer feel the fool does not just dampen enthusiasm it kills it. Why not make the customer proud they bought a Tesla? Support them in full, stand with them never uttering that “in spec” insult. Just repair everything quickly no matter what it takes, then and there, with no arguments, and with a smile always remembering that customer bought the car because they so loved Tesla. Don’t make them hate it. One trip is all it takes for the buyer to realize they have made a costly mistake.

People smart and enough to buy Tesla are smart enough to know when they have been had. Better replace every arrogant service writer with classy highly paid smart people who understand service and what that means to the buyer. Get rid of those up front folks that seem to be paid to not fix the car. Tesla is better than this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Denial of Service. Making the new happy excited buyer feel the fool does not just dampen enthusiasm it kills it. Why not make the customer proud they bought a Tesla? Support them in full, stand with them never uttering that “in spec” insult. Just repair everything quickly no matter what it takes, then and there, with no arguments, and with a smile always remembering that customer bought the car because they so loved Tesla. Don’t make them hate it. One trip is all it takes for the buyer to realize they have made a costly mistake.

People smart and enough to buy Tesla are smart enough to know when they have been had. Better replace every arrogant service writer with classy highly paid smart people who understand service and what that means to the buyer. Get rid of those up front folks that seem to be paid to not fix the car. Tesla is better than this.
Good write up dude

You are describing the Tesla company pre Model 3. I think Pandora has left the building. 🤢

Yeah, I really wish someone from Tesla reads this, or maybe someone can tweak this to Musk.

I was aware Tesla had build quality issues. But all the reviews I saw on Youtube said that as long as you take note of the problems, Tesla will fix it for you later at a service center.

And this is the exact opposite of my experience for my last two Teslas, and the new Model X is especially bad.

For all the issues I brought to them, I simply basically got a denial of service. The tech advisor, instead of approaching the problems from my angle, basically tried to convince me all these issues are normal/within spec/cannot be fixed, and literally proudly tell me that ALL Model Xs are built this way and don't make a fuss about this...

So, new customers should realize that not all the issues you saw during delivery will be addressed later by the service center.
In my case, NONE of my issues were addressed for my last two Teslas.
Therefore, it's better to reject the bad ones if you can.

I scheduled with another service center to try my luck again in two weeks, we will see..

Last edited:
I know I shouldn’t have to but at my first three visits to get the issues fixed I slipped in either 20s or a 20 dollar Starbucks cards and they said yes to fixing all the issues with had. That doesn’t mean they actually fixed them successfully, some gaps were made worse and mis-alignment caused chipped paint. My brand new 3 spent 3+ weeks at a certified body shop to repaint the 5 paint chips service made trying to fix gaps. It came back with some issues, but I learned to live with them instead of potentially opening a larger can of worms.

I know I shouldn’t have to but at my first three visits to get the issues fixed I slipped in either 20s or a 20 dollar Starbucks cards and they said yes to fixing all the issues with had. That doesn’t mean they actually fixed them successfully, some gaps were made worse and mis-alignment caused chipped paint. My brand new 3 spent 3+ weeks at a certified body shop to repaint the 5 paint chips service made trying to fix gaps. It came back with some issues, but I learned to live with them instead of potentially opening a larger can of worms.

The fact that you had to slip 20-dollar bills shows that they are unprofessional. And the fact that they cannot fix it after this shows that they are incompetent.

It's probably wrong to assume all service centers are like this, but from what I have read online and from what I have experienced myself, it really seems most customer service from Tesla is just horrendous right now.

Reactions: jiehan and Prairie

Bribing to get things they should fix for free under warranty.

Tesla 2022.

😕

Reactions: wmo168
I think they are just trying to go through as fast as possible without actually fixing it. You have to imagine every single car off the line is coming in for service. Every single one has something wrong and just depends if the buyer is too lazy to get it fixed. How can they sell thousands a month and have thousands a month of service repairs? They got to crank through them. My issue is same in Sunnyvale. My 3rd row vent on Driver side has no air coming out of it. Passenger side does. Tech said it's within spec because they checked another model x in the lot. Wtf. Blood boiling when I read this ridiculous excuse on the service report. I preemptively asked the service manager to see for themselves before I pick it up and of course they don't give a sh*t. So when I did pick it up and I told the service rep then she comes out and messes with the HVAC controls (I'm sure to try and blame user error) but then calls a tech and asks them if that's normal. I was holding back on saying how the f is no air coming out of one vent 'within spec'. Luckily the tech that came to look agreed that the initial assessment was bull and they will now fix it. Craziness when they are calling clear issues 'within spec' and saying they tested another broken vehicle and it's normal. We should all bring a fellow Tesla owner with a working issue so you can put it back on their face. Again the rep was fair but the techs are just trying to keep pushing it forward. They're hoping you'll give up eventually or soon you'll be out of warranty anyways. Might try a different service center as I had a good experience with one rep with my MY.

I have the same experience with Sunnyvale service. I have already 4k miles and had 4-5 appointmens which were rescheduled a few times. I left my car 2 times there and after I come to pick up I find half of the things not fixed. All the gaps are always “within a spec”, they left my car dirty and more damaged. I even fixed one thing while I was waiting for a technicial which said that it is whithin a spec and not fixable. I will add a few pictures what they did to my car. They said they will order replacement parts, no appologies from their side, it felt so casual from their side that I was surprised.

I have Model X on the order and not sure what I am going to do with it. I need 6-7 seater and EQS SUV prorbably not going to be coming any time soon.

Attachments

• 5873E86B-C4BF-448A-818A-C1F3AF54532A.jpeg
    5873E86B-C4BF-448A-818A-C1F3AF54532A.jpeg
    434.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 59566E28-8131-4D74-8F9F-AAAB861B9E28.jpeg
    59566E28-8131-4D74-8F9F-AAAB861B9E28.jpeg
    574.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 85A0E763-3F98-4E38-A712-7412EAFF7532.jpeg
    85A0E763-3F98-4E38-A712-7412EAFF7532.jpeg
    635.5 KB · Views: 179
Tesla Service Center in Sunnyvale Bay Area is so bad. They are unprofessional, incompetent, and inconsiderate. Just the worse customer service I have ever experienced.

Picked up my Model X two weeks ago.

The car has several issues that it needs to be addressed:
2. The driver door is really hard to close. When it is not wide opened, even the automatic close isn't able to close it.
3. Several exterior trim misalignments.

I brought these issues up in a service center appointment. The advisor was basically telling me to accept these faults.

For the exterior trim, he told me to try to go find two identical Model X in the parking lot, and he assured me that I won't be able to find it, because each and every one of the Model X is built differently. He sounded so firm and proud for this just as if it was my fault to bring my vehicle for repair. They were able to address one bumper misalignment issue, but they did such a poor job that there is a new misalignment in another spot after they were done. And for another more severe misalignment, he simply said it's not fixable. I noticed these issues while picking up the vehicle, and the delivery person told me all of the exterior trim can be addressed. So I guess I was just lied to as a customer.

For the noise, he took me for a test drive trying to identify the source.. And he drove super aggressively even while we are still inside the parking lot. While he did apologize for his aggressive driving, he continue to drive like that afterward... After hearing the noise, he said this noise is normal and there is nothing they could do about it. It's "within spec", not the type of rattle or squeaky sounds they would fix. I have a friend who has a Model X just like mine and his doesn't have any noise when driving. Previously when I bought other cars, customer service was always able to fix this type of noise.

Finally, for the hard-to-close driver-side door, they failed to make any improvement. They fear moving the door, or window will lead to leakage and worsen the issue.. Again, as a customer of such a pricy vehicle, it's so frustrated to experience these.

What's even more infuriating is that, after I pick up the vehicle, I noticed my driver seat is full of dirt. (I selected white interior). This shows how inconsiderate and careless they are.

Not sure what my options are, the noise and the driver door is really bothering me.
I think I will try my luck at another service center.

This image is the trim AFTER repair. They fixed the misalignment on one side, but produced a new misalignment highlighted in the image. And among all those issues, this is the ONLY thing they could do to my vehicles.
View attachment 839419

This is another exterior trim issue that they simply said they cannot address.

View attachment 839421
This is typical, as Tesla Service Centers are the worst. Is this your first Tesla? Issues will.multiply and worsen as the car ages.

Just had a great experience at the STL service center addressing nothing but noise complaints, all covered under warranty at 27000 miles.

If my car had had panel misalignments that bad at delivery I was prepared to and probably would have rejected it. And I probably would just now be taking delivery of one of these “much improved” X’s, heh

Just had a great experience at the STL service center addressing nothing but noise complaints, all covered under warranty at 27000 miles.

If my car had had panel misalignments that bad at delivery I was prepared to and probably would have rejected it. And I probably would just now be taking delivery of one of these “much improved” X’s, heh
How come noise complaints were taken care of under warranty?

following are all for my 2018 Model 3 which is still under warranty and has 37k miles. Tesla service has for the past 4 years insisted all noise issues are not covered under warranty.

Recently I had to fight with the service to fix crackling door check straps (finally they agreed to fix them)
Had to pay out of pocket ($76) for a squeaking driver visor because there was ‘dirt stuck in the hinge, not covered under warranty’)
Had to fight the ‘diagnostic charges’ for a rattling driver side window (finally agreed to zero them out)