Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Service Experience Tesla Rockville, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

240vPlug

Feb 3, 2021
Maryland
I normally go to Sterling, VA for service but scheduling made it easier to go to Rockville on 10/13 for a 4 wheel alignment this time.

The tech performed the alignment, and unfortunately I didn't notice until last week that my 4 month old vehicle was left a mess. The frunk was disassembled apparently to adjust castor via the upper control arm mounts.

The frunk trim was being held in by 1 bolt, my HEPA filter assembly completely MIA, and various tools left in frunk. I called and filed a complaint and requested they refund the $275.20 I paid for a 4 wheel alignment.

Unbelievable and unacceptable. Tesla needs to do better!

3rd pic is what it should look like.

Attachments

• PXL_20221028_175357275.jpg
    PXL_20221028_175357275.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 504
  • PXL_20221028_175921491~2.jpg
    PXL_20221028_175921491~2.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 393
  • 5jefb00wtwx81~2.jpg
    5jefb00wtwx81~2.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 437
I normally go to Sterling, VA for service but scheduling made it easier to go to Rockville on 10/13 for a 4 wheel alignment this time.

The tech performed the alignment, and unfortunately I didn't notice until last week that my 4 month old vehicle was left a mess. The frunk was disassembled apparently to adjust castor via the upper control arm mounts.

The frunk trim was being held in by 1 bolt, my HEPA filter assembly completely MIA, and various tools left in frunk. I called and filed a complaint and requested they refund the $275.20 I paid for a 4 wheel alignment.

I hope service improves when they move to their new location on Rockville Pike.

Sorry to hear that. Surely Tesla will make it right.

I have had plenty of vehicles with part left in it or things left unfinished when I picked it up from service at the dealer (Mini, BMW, Audi and Jeep). Now, I open everything before leaving - to ensure all is back together that is visible.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
Sorry to hear that. Surely Tesla will make it right.

I have had plenty of vehicles with part left in it or things left unfinished when I picked it up from service at the dealer (Mini, BMW, Audi and Jeep). Now, I open everything before leaving - to ensure all is back together that is visible.
Excellent advice...which I will be following from here on out for sure. I think I'm more concerned about the quality of the 4 wheel alignment that was done now though.

Tesla needs to slow down and do things properly...it's obvious this was majorly rushed.

2 week ago, I set up mine devilvery at this location. At first, everything went fine, I had to reschedule back the following week to fix the rear seat motor that wasn't working and had to replacement. Second time I re visits the place, they did fix and resolved. Afterwards driving home I spot a big scratch on mine 21' wheel and found out after visiting the place, they ended up scratches mine wheel tire. Call them up and was told they didn't do, and will not pay for the services . They wanted to charge me $845 to fix it. After 2 week of ownership of the car, for sure I never-ending up this place ever again. Some thing I didn't do and got blamed for. Recommend other to stay away from.this place..
Mine experiences with tesla services are the worst-case and first time ownership of tesla

Attachments

• 20230323_182706.jpg
    20230323_182706.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 20230323_182958.jpg
    20230323_182958.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 20230323_183004.jpg
    20230323_183004.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
2 week ago, I set up mine devilvery at this location. At first, everything went fine, I had to reschedule back the following week to fix the rear seat motor that wasn't working and had to replacement. Second time I re visits the place, they did fix and resolved. Afterwards driving home I spot a big scratch on mine 21' wheel and found out after visiting the place, they ended up scratches mine wheel tire. Call them up and was told they didn't do, and will not pay for the services . They wanted to charge me $845 to fix it. After 2 week of ownership of the car, for sure I never-ending up this place ever again. Some thing I didn't do and got blamed for. Recommend other to stay away from.this place..
Mine experiences with tesla services are the worst-case and first time ownership of tesla
First of all, that is not 21" Ubers. That' 20" Inductions.

I always take pictures of every corner of the car at the service center parking lot before I drop off my keys, so that this type of incident can be covered.

and ALWAYS check the car all around before leaving the service center.

First of all, that is not 21" Ubers. That' 20" Inductions.

I always take pictures of every corner of the car at the service center parking lot before I drop off my keys, so that this type of incident can be covered.

and ALWAYS check the car all around before leaving the service center.

Certainly great advice here!! Now that everybody has a smartphone. Any time you drop off a vehicle (or pick it up). Do yourself a favor.. pull out your phone, turn on the video recording and take a good, slow walk around capturing the exterior.. and do the same for the interior. I spend about 30 sec on the exterior, and 30 seconds on the interior, all taken on the same 1 min video clip. With the interior, I make sure the ignition/vehicle is on.. so it can also capture the mileage and any warning lights.

10-15 years ago when I was traveling for work I made a habit of doing this as inevitably some rental car company would try and accuse me of damaging their rental car. Anything from scratches on the hood.. to damaged or missing items. My guess is they don't know who actually did it.. but they do want to hold someone accountable to fix it. Before I bought my Model Y.. I rented on Turo and the owner & myself were both glad this was done to their vehicle.

Pictures will give you a higher quality but take a bit longer if you are in a rush.. and its easy to miss something. But the HD/4K video on new smartphones is now more than clear enough to capture any damage. I also find the video quicker to take and easier to review later.. as you can just send a single file from one device to another.. or upload it somewhere like youtube and send someone a link so you don't use a lot of mobile data.

Reactions: nate704
Certainly great advice here!! Now that everybody has a smartphone. Any time you drop off a vehicle (or pick it up). Do yourself a favor.. pull out your phone, turn on the video recording and take a good, slow walk around capturing the exterior.. and do the same for the interior. I spend about 30 sec on the exterior, and 30 seconds on the interior, all taken on the same 1 min video clip. With the interior, I make sure the ignition/vehicle is on.. so it can also capture the mileage and any warning lights.

10-15 years ago when I was traveling for work I made a habit of doing this as inevitably some rental car company would try and accuse me of damaging their rental car. Anything from scratches on the hood.. to damaged or missing items. My guess is they don't know who actually did it.. but they do want to hold someone accountable to fix it. Before I bought my Model Y.. I rented on Turo and the owner & myself were both glad this was done to their vehicle.

Pictures will give you a higher quality but take a bit longer if you are in a rush.. and its easy to miss something. But the HD/4K video on new smartphones is now more than clear enough to capture any damage. I also find the video quicker to take and easier to review later.. as you can just send a single file from one device to another.. or upload it somewhere like youtube and send someone a link so you don't use a lot of mobile data.
Yes agree, I have learned mine lessons 😉

Thats terrible service - surely not the norm. Hope you get a resolution with Tesla for that.

I have had similar experiences at Mini (left the radiator flue low and tools all over - when that was what they were fixing), Audi (took my spare out and did not put it back in - thankfully it was still at the dealer) and Jeep (changed the differential seal - low and behold they didn't test drive it - wrong seal and spewed oil all over the under-carriage and toasted the gears in the diff) in the past. Frappin frustrating to say the least.

I now know to walk around the vehicle with the service tech before leaving the vehicle (go over the entire vehicle with wheels and body - so no confusion to the condition I left it off at) and when I pick it up - check everything that was worked on to make sure all is buttoned up.

While confused that they are not 21” in your previous delivery post a few weeks ago you showed your order as white with Gemini wheels. Who’s car is this that you are showing?

Thats terrible service - surely not the norm. Hope you get a resolution with Tesla for that.

I have had similar experiences at Mini (left the radiator flue low and tools all over - when that was what they were fixing), Audi (took my spare out and did not put it back in - thankfully it was still at the dealer) and Jeep (changed the differential seal - low and behold they didn't test drive it - wrong seal and spewed oil all over the under-carriage and toasted the gears in the diff) in the past. Frappin frustrating to say the least.

I now know to walk around the vehicle with the service tech before leaving the vehicle (go over the entire vehicle with wheels and body - so no confusion to the condition I left it off at) and when I pick it up - check everything that was worked on to make sure all is buttoned up.
Tesla Rockville did try to make it right by refunding the charges for the alignment. Tesla Sterling put a new HEPA assembly in.

Rockville was in the process of moving locations at the time and they were swamped with cars. There was no place to park.

Rockville is good to go. I've used them 3x.. and 2 of the 3 they were outstanding!! The manager personally spoke to me during my first visit to say they are well aware of Tesla's bad service reputation and his shop does everything possible to better that experience. Forgot his name.. but friendly German dude.. with a name to match.

Here are my 3 experiences:
  1. Garage door opener install on New Model Y: When i say my car was new, believe I had just driven it home to DC after taking delivery in Chicago.. so less than 1,000 miles. The manager made sure it would still be new when I came back to get it. That's when he introduced himself. Not only was it in perfect condition but he noticed 30-day tags expiring.. and asked about my new ones. I said I never got them in the mail. He went back to his office.. came back 5mins later with brand new tags good for another 30 days, personally mounted them on my car, and in 2 weeks I got my permanent MD tags in the mail.
  2. Driver's door window shattered: Totally my fault. I put in aftermarket 'Tesla' puddle lights. About a month later at the National Zoo, I notice my windows were no longer indexing. Do my best to be gentle with the car and nurse it home. Completely forgot about the window, shut the door, and shatter the glass. I pull the aftermarket lights out, replace them with the factory ones, and put in a service ticket with Rockville. Like a 2-week wait.. they reach out to me a few days later and say a mobile tech can visit me today.. instead of waiting. He comes. Checks car. Checks puddle lights. Actually replaces one of the factory lights, replaces driver window, replaces door trim. $1000 in parts. Covers everything under warranty.
  3. Lack of software updates: The car went like 3-4 months with no software updates. Not only that, but it no longer indicated it was even checking for software updates. Put in a service ticket. Rockville answered my question via chat the next day. Said they remotely checked the car and it was indeed still 'looking' for new updates, just not showing it. Furthermore that others had the problem and the next update will fix it. About 2 weeks later.. finally got a new update and the problem is gone.