Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horse power confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although Tesla don't publish actual hp numbers (I think), you can look for dyno runs of owners to get an idea of what the car has. You can also use a calculator like this one (0-60 Calculator | Calculate 0-60 Times) to get an estimate. If you plug in 204 hp you'll see that the 0-60 time would be over 7 seconds. Clearly the long range is more powerful than that. 350hp is closer to the published 0-60 time.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I'm in a process of purchasing used Tesla 3 long range.
I am totally confused with the horse power info.
There are ads saying 204 HP and then next to it 351 HP for the same car. 🤔
So which one is it then?
283 short range RWD

346 LR AWD
450 performance AWD

These numbers were taken from wikipedia, but various other sources are in the same ballpark.

Reactions: GtiMart
Upvote 0
283 short range RWD

346 LR AWD
450 performance AWD

These numbers were taken from wikipedia, but various other sources are in the same ballpark.
Basically this.

However as stated before the HP/TRQ number doesn't tell the whole story when compared to other cars. Most gas cars in the 450hp range aren't getting close to 0-60 in 3.1

For reference, It takes a Corvette C8 that's mid engine to help traction and about 500 HP to match or best it, and that's if all factors work in the C8s favor. Also the C8 is about a thousand pounds lighter.

You can go rent one. I've driven the base model and it's plenty fast. Remember you're getting all that power immediately and pretty consistently. Gas cars with their HP numbers are the very peak of the band, 99% of the time you're not getting that number.

Reactions: android04
Upvote 0
Basically this.

However as stated before the HP/TRQ number doesn't tell the whole story when compared to other cars. Most gas cars in the 450hp range aren't getting close to 0-60 in 3.1

For reference, It takes a Corvette C8 that's mid engine to help traction and about 500 HP to match or best it, and that's if all factors work in the C8s favor. Also the C8 is about a thousand pounds lighter.

You can go rent one. I've driven the base model and it's plenty fast. Remember you're getting all that power immediately and pretty consistently. Gas cars with their HP numbers are the very peak of the band, 99% of the time you're not getting that number.

The power band isn't quite as immediate but a lot of modern ICE cars are moving to turbos with very broad torque bands. My turbo BMW M cars are making peak torque from about 2,500 to 6K.

Reactions: Young Phenom
Upvote 0
I wouldn't rely on ANYTHING in a dealer's ad when shopping for a Tesla. My experience has been that they literally have no idea what they're talking about. Many I looked at listed the wrong included features, wrong trim level, etc. Expecting them to be correct about the power rating (which isn't even officially published) is wishful thinking.

That being said, using a 0-60 based calculation won't give you an accurate measurement either, as (I believe), those are created using data points from ICE vehicles. The Tesla's perform abnormally well in the 0-60 test due to immediate torque, insane traction control, and the ability to continue to accelerate the entire time with no pause for shifting. A more accurate way to estimate power using a timed event would be 1/4 numbers. The Tesla's times vs. trap speed indicate that the bulk of their acceleration occurs right off the line.

Definitely go drive one. Don't get hung up on hp numbers. Even with ICE vehicles they can be misleading and not particularly useful. Usable power is all that matters.

Upvote 0
Yeah... even in ICE cars hp is a curve, not a number... On ICE there are transmissions which complicate things further, which isn't a problem here. But still, it's a curve that depends on motor speed. Even worse, it depends on the battery's state of charge... and it depends on battery temperature :p take the 0-60 number, assume it'S true with a high state of charge and a warm battery, and you're good.

Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
Here's a performance comparison of all variants of the LR AWD and the P over the various power adding updates

LRAWD2.png

Reactions: GtiMart
Upvote 0
HP matters too, theres' a reason why diesel trucks that make 400 hp and 1,200 tq aren't that fast.
Ok, having sold heavy trucks for more than 20 years this is a subject I know well.

To sum it up. Torque means the truck can accelerate faster. HP limits how fast it can go based on air resistance (big), rolling resistance (small) and grade (huge). You need to know the frontal area, CD and % of grade to do the demand HP calculation. I started in 1988. before computers were widely used to do the calculations. Relied on tables and a calculator.

We have a somewhat steep hill on the interstate where I live. I don't recall the exact % of grade but it required a waiver from the DOT. Common out west. For a truck with 96 sq.ft. frontal area, CD of .4 and at 80,000 lbs. it required about 500 HP to maintain 60 MPH up that hill. No truck engine built in 1988 had that kind of HP. 350 was a big deal. Nowadays it is not unusual at all. Logging trucks today mostly have large displacement, twin turbo (in series) diesels that exceed 600 HP and well over 2000 ft lb. torque. Torque really matters in fire lanes then your GVW is ~ 100,000 lbs.

Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0