Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horsepower

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, 415 Nm of torque (306 ft lbs) at 7,000 RPM is 407 hp. Not a bad number to toss out there when people talk about these EVs being "golf carts"...
Good point! From the TM Model S Features page, torque/RPM chart:
attachment.php?attachmentid=2755&d=1317483193.jpg

HP rolls off slowly from its peak of >400 at 7k RPM down to ~350 at 15k RPM (using this chart), then falls off more rapidly after that as the motor approaches its max speed at/above 16k RPM.

Attachments

• torque_curve.jpg
    torque_curve.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 5,439
Last edited:
For a fixed gear ratio car (like the Model S or Roadster) speed is linear in RPM. We know the top speed is 130MPH at 16K RPM, so it's 130MPH/16K RPM = 8 1/8 MPH per 1K RPM, or about 57 MPH at 7K. This is much nicer than the Roadster.

you're assuming that the limited max speed correlates to the useable max rpm ... i would think that the limited max speed would be closer to 14K rpm or even lower. maybe someone should ask them about this today.

you're assuming that the limited max speed correlates to the useable max rpm ... i would think that the limited max speed would be closer to 14K rpm or even lower. maybe someone should ask them about this today.

I was assuming that they wouldn't be showing the line on the graph for an RPM range that the car couldn't reach. Since it's a fixed gear ratio car, max speed and max RPM happen at the same time. I suppose it's possible that the graph is from running the powertrain on a test rig and that it won't actually turn that fast in the real world.

I would guess that even with the torque drop off towards redline, it could still get to redline. It seems like it should still have enough horsepower to do it, except perhaps if the vehicle was heavily loaded going up a very steep incline.
Hopefully the liquid cooling solves any high temp issues so that you are able to get that published curve even on hot days after the vehicle has been driven hard.

A powertrain engineer said: 1 yes there will be creep, 2 16,000 is maximum rpm, 3 the power starts to drop off in the 50 to 62 mph range but it is not noticeable with road driving. Another said the motor power drops to help with stability control but was unsure if the brakes also contributed. The car will have a dc adapter available which allows 50% charge in 30 minutes. There will be a choice of one or two chargers under the back seats. One will charge about 10kWh and two will double that. This is not needed for the dc fast charge. The power cord or adapter is mechanically locked in place when the car doors are locked to prevent theft.

The car will ignite the revolution that the Roadster heralded.

A powertrain engineer said: 1 yes there will be creep, 2 16,000 is maximum rpm, 3 the power starts to drop off in the 50 to 62 mph range but it is not noticeable with road driving. Another said the motor power drops to help with stability control but was unsure if the brakes also contributed. The car will have a dc adapter available which allows 50% charge in 30 minutes. There will be a choice of one or two chargers under the back seats. One will charge about 10kWh and two will double that. This is not needed for the dc fast charge. The power cord or adapter is mechanically locked in place when the car doors are locked to prevent theft.

The car will ignite the revolution that the Roadster heralded.

Some of the best info I've heard out of the event so far, thanks for asking those questions.

Wheel Torque

Just to get an impression what to expect from the Model S, I did a wheel torque comparision with my current car. A 2011 BMW 320d xdrive (184 HP, 390 NM).

Assumptions made for the Model S:

Top speed at 15.000 rpm (torque drops off significantly after that)
Wheel size : 21"
Tire dimension: 265/30 (just looked for reasonable sized and readily available 21" tires)
Overall gear ratio: 9,35 (reaches 209 km/h with wheel size above at 15.000 rpm with that ratio)

tesla-nm.png

It will be far superior to my current drive. But doesn't make a good off road drive train due to the missing reduction. It will match a good tuned 530xd or a stock 535d. Up to 209 km/h that is ... won't matter for most except for us Germans. ;)

I suppose they might want to publish lower/conservative numbers if:
#1: Production variances may have slight differences in power output from car to car.
#2: There could be some conditions (such as extreme heat) where maximum power output is not possible.

A powertrain engineer said: 1 yes there will be creep

Quite disappointed about the creep. Why does Tesla want to mimic the behavior of an ICE with inefficient automatic transmission?
At least give us the option to turn it off.

And I don't buy the argument that creep is a safety thing. I drive a stickshift and there is no creep. Are there studies that show that automatics with creep are safer than manual transmissions?