Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hot car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is only midday and my car interior is 50C with the windows open. This is the UK in May!

The display will be a far higher temperature as the back is in the full sunlight.

I am sure that Tesla have done their MTBF tests on the screen and electronics :cool: but as my car is not leased and may be a keeper, I was wondering if anyone has seen a decent display cover to slide over it when parked.

Even the very best electrolytic capacitors do not like heat and thats not to mention the various chips and of course the display itself.

The S and X have shown up mid to long term problems with the display but they are not sticking up directly in the sun.

Am I right to be worried?

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
Worried - maybe because Tesla have form on buying cheap components, paranoid - no

I'm letting the sun do its thing and if the worst happens its either warranty or if I've kept the car that long I'll take it on the chin. I imagine California will be worse than what we experience so they'll get it worse than we do.

Worried - maybe because Tesla have form on buying cheap components, paranoid - no

I'm letting the sun do its thing and if the worst happens its either warranty or if I've kept the car that long I'll take it on the chin. I imagine California will be worse than what we experience so they'll get it worse than we do.

I got the roof set from Torque Alliance that gives you the choice of a gauze screen with or without a reflective aluminised fabric. It takes a minute or two of close examination of their web site pics to get it installed the right way round ;-) but it removes in a jiffy. With the aluminised fabric installed, it really makes the 3 feel more closed in. I like the openness of the glass roof but I don't like melting ;-)

I also have the full reflective front, sides and top set from EVannex in the US that affixes with suction cups. Very bitty. But will be ace for the Spanish sun if I ever get there...

Reactions: Rustybkts
Whilst I am not worried, It took a few years for the dreaded yellow border to form around S and X displays that are hardly in as much sun as the 3's.

Amazon had a reasonable looking cover that has been discontinued and AliExpress has a black one but I would prefer white or aluminised as black is surely making it worse.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr K O’Watt
If you’re worried, turn on cabin overheat protection, and the car will use the HVAC fan (and minimal AC if necessary) to hold the cabin temperature to no more than ~40C.

It’ll use a little more energy, but makes getting in more comfortable and might help things last longer.

Reactions: pow216
Can't be arsed to wade through the manual.

Not much wading required. This is the sum total:

Cabin Overheat Protection

The climate control system can reduce the temperature of the cabin in extremely hot ambient conditions for a period of up to twelve hours after you exit Model 3. TouchControls > Safety & Security > Cabin Overheat Protection and choose:

• OFF: Disable Cabin Overheat Protection.

• NO A/C: Only the fan operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 40° C. This option consumes less energy but the cabin temperature may exceed 40° C.

• ON: The air conditioning operates when the cabin temperature exceeds 40° C.

NOTE: Cabin Overheat Protection operates only when the energy remaining in the Battery is above 20%.

WARNING: Never leave children or pets in the vehicle unattended. Due to automatic shut-o or extreme outside conditions, the inside of the vehicle can become dangerously hot, even when Cabin Overheat Protection is enabled.

Reactions: Roy W.
I think the issue might also be connected to having sentry mode enabled. I have to choose either sentry or cabin heat protection.

I routinely have Sentry and cabin overheat on together.

I do remember some about the advanced theft warning not being compatible, but that’s something you can only get on a US car by going back to the service center, so I don’t know much about it. I think it might be standard in the EU?

If you are handy at sowing, buy some white fabric/cloth about 10inch x 14 inch and fold in half (so becomes 10x7). Stitch the 2 short sides together to make a pouch. Cut one side in the middle to allow for the screen bracket. :)

Or cover in a kitchen foil pouch :p

• Funny
Reactions: Rustybkts
These cars are designed and built in sunny CA and used in places like AZ. If there was a problem with them getting hot in the sun I think we would know by now

I hope you’re right and I’m not saying you aren’t, but last summer after 4 days of scorching hot temperatures and the sun directly shining on the screen in my MS, I got the yellow border issue. And I’m not kidding here. I had read numerous posts from our fellow Tesla lovers on this forum having this issue and I was glad to NOT be one of them.....until this short period of extreme high temperatures (extreme in NL for that matter).

Fortunately Tesla SC was able to help with the UV treatment later that year when it became available and all is fixed now, but the yellow border issue was definitely a result of high temperatures and direct sunlight on the screen. I expect the screens in the 3 and Raven MS and MX nowadays are manufactured with different and better technology and can therefore better withstand these conditions.

I routinely have Sentry and cabin overheat on together.

I do remember some about the advanced theft warning not being compatible, but that’s something you can only get on a US car by going back to the service center, so I don’t know much about it. I think it might be standard in the EU?

Weird. I'm in the UK and as soon as I toggle Sentry mode to "On" then Cabin Overheat toggles off

I did look at the cabin overheat but it is greyed out, probably because anti tilt is enabled but that is on but greyed out as well. Can't be arsed to wade through the manual. Any ideas why anti tilt is greyed out?
Because you’ve got Sentry enabled. Even if you’ve got it excluding home, etc, having it enabled means you can’t adjust Tilt/Intrusion and therefore Cabin Overheat Protection.

This feature only works for up to 12 hours after the car was last driven too, so isn’t that useful for our cars when they’re not regularly moving (and to be honest if I was out and about I’d rather Sentry mode was on).

Sentry mode ON enables Tilt/Intrusion which disables Cabin Overheat Protection.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
Do you have the cabin motion ultrasonic sensor in the security system? if so, is it turned on in the center screen?
If you look at Durzel's answer just above this he nails it. When Sentry is on the radio buttons for Security Alarm and Tilt/Intrusion are set to "on" and greyed out" so Cabin Overeat Protection switches off. You have to choose either Cabin Overeat Protection or Sentry - you cannot have both.