Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hot Climate Owners Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just came from San Antonio after 3 years of driving the MS there. The tint on the pano was plenty to keep heat from coming through there, but I found a LOT of heat came through all of the other windows. Tinting those as dark as the legal limit helped, but it's still a big windshield. I always used a sunshade for that while parked outside in the summer.

I've had an S P85 with a sunroof since early 2013 in Houston - parking it outside often during the summer.

When there isn't any chance of rain, opening the roof to vent will help, something that can be done before leaving the car, or afterward using the smartphone app.

The new overheat protection should also help to keep the inside of the car from getting too hot.

But the best solution is to use the smartphone and turn on the climate system a few minutes before returning to the car. We've found that by the time we get to the car, it's already cool and comfortable.

Don't believe there's any need for additional tinting or shades - at least not from our experience over 4 summers in Houston...

Reactions: Missile Toad
I live in North Texas, do I need sunshades for my MS or is the factory tint on my sunroof going to be good enough?
Haven't had her through a Texas summer yet.
Thx
this comes up every summer, for the most part the factory tint has been enough for me, some people have added additional tinting and there is a shield for sale on the tesla site if you think that you need more.

Last edited:
We haven't hit max summer here by any means, but I find the windshield to be the biggest source of heat from the sun. I bought a high quality windshield shade and use that when parked. Maybe it will also help prevent the touch screen bubbles issue as a side effect, who knows.

I do use the app when I remember, but sometimes I forget and only turn it on as I am walking out to the car.

Reactions: Petra
I am in Texas. I was really worried about that when I got my MS in 2014. I had them Photosync the pano when they did the windows. Unfortunately I had a bad sunroof which had to be replaced at about a year. I then didn't re-photosync and it was actually not hugely different. The factory heat barrier they have on it is pretty impressive, as well as even less of an issue with the new over heat protection. I don't plan on re-tinting. I think you get more bang for your buck on heat barrier with photosync on the windshield if you have someone that is good and has done a bunch. It takes a lot of practice to get used to doing it right due to the shape.

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad
As previous posters have said, it's not the pano where the heat comes in, it's that huge windshield. I didn't have it tinted on my first S, but had 3M Crystalline put on it for my second. Big difference!

I do have a friend who's 6'6", and he is the only one who complains about any heat from the pano!

• Funny
Reactions: SageBrush
A lot depends on how heat intolerant you are and whether direct sunlight on you is uncomfortable. I am intolerant of both, so ..

If I cannot park in the shade, I park facing the sun and put up the sun-shade and crack the windows for ventilation. These simple behaviors go a long ways to keeping the interior car materials and air at about ambient temperature.

Most of my driving is N/S in the mornings and evenings so I don't bother tinting the front windshield. I might buy a see-through, pull-down reflective shade for my front passenger window this summer to keep out the late afternoon sun during my commute. The point here is that you should give some thought to how the car is used.