TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hot climate users, what's your battery degradation level?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by johndoe74, Jun 20, 2012.

1. johndoe74

johndoe74 Member

Any hot climate (Arizona, Texas, Nevada) roadsters users here? I would like to know what level of battery degradation are you seeing after a year or two driving this car?

Over at My Nissan Leaf forum, a storm is brewing because early Leaf drivers are seeing 15% battery loss after only a year of ownership. Many people are attributing this to the hot climate (Southwest US desert areas), and the fact that Leaf does not actively cool/heat its battery.

Tesla probably does not have this problem due to its thermal management system, but with the 100F+ Arizona weather, you never know. So has any roadster users lost more than 15% of battery/range after owning the car for less than 2 years.

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Summer temps May-Oct 90-100F consistently, occasionally up to 105'ish.

13 months ownership, 8,000 miles, no degradation. Actually I used to get charge numbers in the high 180's but lately I've been getting 192-194.

3. richkae

richkae VIN587

4. pgwoosley

pgwoosley Member

My Roadster is a little over 3 years old and has been in Houston almost 2-1/2 years and I have seen no degradation. Houston is hot and humid for 5-6 months of the year. The temperatures rarely get above 100 degrees but are often in the mid to high 90s.

5. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

And as a counterpoint, my Roadster is a little under 3 years old, it has lived in Seattle all its life, and I hit 10% degradation by 2.5 years old. So it looks like heat is not a primary determinant.

(My data is not in Rich's study due to an odd format issue in my logs).

6. NuclearPowered

#6 NuclearPowered, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
    I park outside in the sun in 110 degree F days for 2 months during summer. The cars interior gets extremely hot and the pavement will radiate heat upwards of 140 F.

I know the S's battery has active cooling but heat invoked premature battery degradation is a concern.

Are there no roadster owners from AZ on here?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2