Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hot Door Handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People have suggested gaffers tape, self adhesive felt, and the soft side of Velcro strips. My detailer didn’t think PPF would work, though I’ve seen some people say it does (RPM Tesla claims their handle wraps that extend behind the handle help).

Anyone notice their door handles getting too hot in the sun? I live in LA and have found that if you park the 3 in the sun for a while, the chrome door handles get almost too hot to touch to open the car. Not sure there's much that can be done about it and no, I'm not going to get chrome delete.
I ran into same issue during my summer California trip. Handle felt almost like red hot pan from stove. I ended up pressing the back of the handle with my valet corner and then open the door using frame, not handle.

Not sure how material any different on the other cars as I have never ran into this issue even blazing Phoenix summer.

Vegas here, and oh boy, yes. Those things are molten lava when left in the sun. It's really close to a first-degree burn when you aren't thinking about it and just grab one.

Just yesterday I ordered some light-colored wraps from Abstract Ocean. Only $20, so worth a try even if they don't have much of an effect - can't make it worse.

• Funny
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I ran into same issue during my summer California trip. Handle felt almost like red hot pan from stove. I ended up pressing the back of the handle with my valet corner and then open the door using frame, not handle.

Not sure how material any different on the other cars as I have never ran into this issue even blazing Phoenix summer.

I think it's because you have to handle the handle (no pun intended) a lot more than a normal car - both a pressing and a pulling action. Because there's so much contact you really notice if they're heated up. I'm guessing most other cars don't have a solid chrome handle that heats up all the way through either.

People have suggested gaffers tape, self adhesive felt, and the soft side of Velcro strips. My detailer didn’t think PPF would work, though I’ve seen some people say it does (RPM Tesla claims their handle wraps that extend behind the handle help).
I'm confused as to where these people are suggesting we supposedly stick this adhesive felt? Surely they aren't suggesting we cover our door handles with this?

PPF is an interesting suggestion but I doubt it would help much. At the end of the day, I actually like the chrome handles and don't want to change their appearance so I will just have to deal with it and try and park in the shade.

Have you tried the one-finger method when the handle is very hot. That is what I do...

(you don't need to use the middle finger though)
Ok so I tried this and two things:

1. Broke my nail and ruined my manicure.
2. I don't see how this works unless you have an incredibly robust finger. You have to pull the entire weight of the door with one finger and there's no 'lip' to catch your finger on so it's really just down to putting a lot of pressure on your finger to pull it open. Or maybe I just didn't stick my finger in far enough (can you blame me).
3. It looks silly and I felt stupid.

• Funny
Reactions: Natalie 1
Ok so I tried this and two things:

1. Broke my nail and ruined my manicure.
2. I don't see how this works unless you have an incredibly robust finger. You have to pull the entire weight of the door with one finger and there's no 'lip' to catch your finger on so it's really just down to putting a lot of pressure on your finger to pull it open. Or maybe I just didn't stick my finger in far enough (can you blame me).
3. It looks silly and I felt stupid.

Sorry to hear about your nail, I wasn't thinking about the repercussion of manicures.

There is a very slight indent on the inside from overlapping of two panels but does take some force to hold. The trick is to take advantage of the initial inertia from the power opener to swing the door open.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X
I was worried about it, but it actually wasn't a problem on my car. Not sure if it's cuz of paint color. I'm originally from LA. It gets WAY hotter here. The black seats cooking is a much bigger problem to me.

If it becomes a problem in the future, I'm just gonna wrap it with the same stuff my console is wrapped in.

The solution.

Attachments

• C99C84D4-3FCA-441A-998D-4415382F2B97.jpeg
    C99C84D4-3FCA-441A-998D-4415382F2B97.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Funny
Reactions: Fair Verona