Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hot footwell / feet issue 2019 model 3 LR.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that is one way to do it, but the footwell will still get plenty hot..

@DrHouseDK, So basicly what the are saying is that the PTC heater controller was turned off? And now it is controlling but only in a hot mode.. but what we figured out from this is that there are PTC heater setting that can be turned off or on.. now I really wonder what the changed in my PTC settings at the service center.

So basicly what the are saying is that the PTC heater controller was turned off? And now it is controlling but only in a hot mode.. but what we figured out from this is that there are PTC heater setting that can be turned off or on.. now I really wonder what the changed in my PTC settings at the service center.
I have no idea. All I know is that 21 degrees C went from chill-ish to being burning hot now, and the SoC is p*ssing off the battery. Doesn't seem like a proper solution. 20 degrees C though is pretty cold now. 🤣

Sorry no information about that, this is what the invoice said:

“changed PTC heater configuration in the vehicle configuration. This should make the drivers footwell be colder. Advise to the customer to test if the conditions have been improved. Also upcoming Firmware updates should make the conditions better. there is nothing we can do further on this issue, all systems are in a good shape and all tests passed mobileAppActivityDetails symptomKey: heating&AirConditioning activityType: COMMON”

I’m running the hvac in full auto mode now and air getting send to the footwells and rear of the cabin still has a normall temperature, instead of freaking hot.
So just to share my story, my 2020 M3P has been having this issue since last winter - I basically couldn't keep the auto climate on for any trips longer than 15 minutes cuz my feet would start cooking. Finally made time to leave the car at the SC mainly for a windshield replacement. I also told them it gets extremely hot in the footwell when on auto climate in cold weather. They said there was a software configuration set wrong and they fixed that in my car and now the climate shouldn't be boiling my feet anymore. I quote from the service notes:
"Confirm customers issue. Cars configuration was set faulty. Change car cfg and customers issue no longer presents."

I could definitely see the improvement, the climate was finally acting normal! Used it for about two weeks! It was maybe even slightly colder that I would like, so I ended up going for 21C instead of 20C.

But earlier today I played a bit with track mode. Enabled it just for maybe 5-10 minutes. Then turned it off it and went home. On the 15 minutes drive home I could already notice the footwell getting uncontrollably hot again.

I think there is correlation between the track mode and this issue. For some reason I think the climate configuration gets bugged when engaging track mode. I will contact the service center again and will give them my feedback maybe it's just an unknown bug. I will keep you guys posted. But I drove the car for 30 minutes before engaging Track Mode and the climate acted as it should. Put on Track mode for 10 minutes, turned it off, 5 minutes later melting hot again. I am pretty confident they are related. Not sure why...my car has PTC heater, no octovalve no heat pump...but for some reason something definitely happened after I played in track mode...

Winter is upon us and the first cold days (sub 10°C) are behind us, how are your guys footwells doing?
Mine is still a bit hot sometimes. But seems to be doing ok at 20°C for now, but I think when we get some colder days I have to lower the cabin temp to 19°C, just so the HVAC does not blow any air out of the lower vents.

Winter is upon us and the first cold days (sub 10°C) are behind us, how are your guys footwells doing?
Mine is still a bit hot sometimes. But seems to be doing ok at 20°C for now, but I think when we get some colder days I have to lower the cabin temp to 19°C, just so the HVAC does not blow any air out of the lower vents.
It hasn’t gotten cold enough here, but I should know in a few weeks. I expect the same behavior as always - hot feet.

Well, yesterday was about 9 degrees celcius outside, so I did a little test. At 21 degrees (69/70 fahrenheit) i got pretty toasty feet.
Now at 20 degrees it is okayish. So doable. The might have done a small software update.

Strange thing that I notice is that when I open al my windows when driving, it gets cold in the car.
The HVAC is then still doing the same thing as before. So fan speed 3 and blowing air to my feet and body.
When I open my tesla app, it says the inside of the car is still toasty 20 degrees while all the windows are open.

When the car goes into park and the hvac turns off, I do see the temperature dropping.

Did Tesla just change the inside cabin measurement to a calculated measurement instead of the real deal sensor?
My guess is when the hvac it set at a certain temperature it knows that when I do this it will get a certain temperature in the cabin when it is 9 degrees outside.

My footwells are still on fire. I've found that turning the footwell vents off stops the problem and significantly reduces energy consumption.

My new routine is to let the system do what it wants until my feet start getting hot, then run in manual mode with dash vents on and feet vents off. I have to bump the temp up a few degrees in manual mode, but it still saves a lot of energy compared to roasting my feet and freezing my face.