Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hot Glass Overhead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have any tall people who tinted the glass above the driver seat noticed a difference in heat reduction above your head after the tint was applied. I ask because many posts here have suggested there is no need to tint this piece of glass. I couldn't disagree more.

I just sat in a new M3 at the Tesla Store in Miami. It was noon, sunny and 91 outside and the car was in their parking lot. I am 6'3" and had the driver seat raised up fairly high. I would say the top of my head was approx. 5" from the glass above the driver seat. After sitting with the sales person 5-10 minutes my head was uncomfortably warm. So much so that I immediately began searching these threads to see if anyone could confirm that adding an IR reducing tint like Photosync or Crystalline on the glass above the driver really makes a significant difference. It may be the taller you are, the closer you are to the glass and the more you notice the heat.

I'm not interested in the sunshade. It might help the driver but it won't help the people in the back seat.

So for those that noticed the heat before they tinted the glass above the driver seat, I would greatly appreciate some feedback. I am hoping the IR reducing tint really works for us tall drivers who's head is closer to this glass.

Reactions: Redwood
You've posted this exact same post in another topic and you also posted a second posting stating that you have a model 3 with Tinting that you have measured the heat with so why would you have to go to the Tesla store to check out the heat if you have a model 3 to test.

Funny how your first postings somewhat contradict each other... maybe you borrowed a car?

Yep. You are write on both counts. I re-posted this because my original post was a reply on someone's else topic. I was afraid it wasn't getting any visibility so I re-posted the question again on its own topic

Here is the second post I made after I had a chance to take some measurements. I have slightly re-worded it to correctly state I had access to a friends M3 that was tinted with 3M crystalline, and added further clarification.

" I have an update on my post. I was able to acquire a Fluke 62 Max infrared thermometer that measures heat. I asked a friend if I could take some measurements on his Model 3 with 3M Crystalline 70 on the rear ceiling glass and nothing on the glass above the driver. From the inside of the car I measured the glass temperature as well as the temperature of the frame around the glass for both the rear ceiling glass with the 3M tint and the glass above the driver with no tint. Results: all temperatures were the same. The glass above the driver read about 122 degrees closest to the windshield and increased in temperature up to 135 degrees as I moved back to the center pillar. Then I measured the rear ceiling glass next to the center pillar: 135 degrees, and then as I moved back to the rear it dropped to 122 degrees. Then I measured the framing supporting the glass including the center pillar. All the framing, front or rear, read 116 degrees.

So if the both driver glass and rear glass are same temperatures and glass framing is same temperatures, then the tint is adding no value. This could be because the glass may already reject IR as some have suggested. Even if the glass is filtering out IR, it also must be also be absorbing some which is why it heats up. The heat felt directly under the glass must just radiated heat from the hot glass itself. The closer you are to this hot glass, the more radiated heat you feel. Unfortunately for tall drivers or passengers this is noticeably unconfortable after just a few minutes (in Miami when it is 91 outside).

I am so disappointed. I was ready to pull the trigger and order the dual engine model 3. That's not happening now. I just can justify spending $60K for a hot head. sigh :-( "

The problem is using 70 tint. That's not a serious effort to reduce heat penetration. Try it with darker tint up there.

We have very dark tint at the upper part of our X windshield (above the blue line) and it made a big difference. Not quite as good as the ugly mesh sunshade Tesla gave us (which we won't use), but good enough for TX heat (110F this year!)

On sunny/hot days the overhead glass of both model 3's I have been in can be very hot to the touch. These are 90-100+ degree days, car sitting in sun. One was a white model 3, the other was black. The glass was uncomfortably hot to the touch in both. One was mfr'd 12/17, the other 2/18. I noticed it as different from my model S immediately.

I still ordered a performance 3 since I'm in MN and I garage park @ home and @ work, so it won't affect me that much - but I could see radiant heat from the glass being an issue for tall drivers in southern states.

Have any tall people who tinted the glass above the driver seat noticed a difference in heat reduction above your head after the tint was applied. I ask because many posts here have suggested there is no need to tint this piece of glass. I couldn't disagree more.

I'm somewhere between 6'4 and 6'5, bald, and sweat like a whore in church at anything over 80 degrees. It's 104 out today and my car is cool as a cucumber inside with no roof tint. I precondition the car 5 minutes before I plan on leaving and I wouldn't change a thing.

I was just coming to say pre-cool for 5 minutes and then take readings. I've heard people on here say they just pre-cool which works very fast to drop the interior temp and had no problems. I suspect the cooler interior temp will result in cool glass temp as well. I do understand your concern. We use the sunshade in our Model S just because we like a darker interior and plan to do the same in our Model 3 which we should get shortly. But I also get being tall you wouldn't want something even closer to your head. Honestly, I've read so many tall people say that they don't have a problem with it, it's worth another shot for you with the pre-cooling.

Tint it, then slap on the front glass roof sunshade for second measure (Model 3 Front Glass Roof Sunshade) and you will be fine.

I just got my roof sunshade today (1 month after I ordered it)

First I was surprised it was black, I thought white would be more reflective and not absorb as much heat?

And second, I don’t know how much the roof tint does or doesn’t reject heat transfer, but the glass itself gets too hot to touch here and having a red hot piece of glass inches from your head can certainly be felt.

I imagine it will be nice in the winter.

Not sure if helpful because i am under 6’, but: model x front windshield roof part transmitted a ton of heat, so much I first tried sunshade then needed to also put cloth between sunshade and windshield. That helped but looked ugly so I tinted the top with wincos 20. Made a tremendous difference and I don’t need the sunshade now, and can still enjoy the panoramic view.

In our 3, I did not feel the need at first to tint the sunroof. I added wincos 70 just to ensure extra UV protection in case, and I do notice an appreciable difference even with wincos 70. Very happy with this choice and for me personally i do not feel i needed to add more. So I think you could go heavy with extra tint and feel comfortable getting this amazing car. For the rear window I have wincos 50, and my kids can still see out of the back window. Actually in x with wincos 20 you can still see out, so it’s way better than the sunshade.

I added model x comparison just in case it helped to show I do feel and get bothered by the extra heat, and the extra tint I added to both our cars was noticeable.

Reactions: Point 3
Lower your seating position. And if that's not enough, point the air blade up.

I'm 6'2" and have never felt this was a problem throughout this 90+ summer.

I did tint my back window with a single sheet of 40% ceramic just for looks. Didn't bother tinting the sunroof.

I get it, surface temperatures can be hot, but just as with any other car, your head isn't directly touching the roof. Radiated heat dissipates greatly as you move away from the direct surface, whether that's through the air gap between sheet metal to headliner to your head or the glass roof to your head.

You owe it to yourself to not let something like this stop you from owning this amazing car.

Reactions: MissyMcBee
I tinted the sunroof with 3M Crystalline 50. I didn't want to go too dark. (I did 40 on the 4 sides and 70 on the windshield. Have not done the rear due to can't find anyone to do it in a single sheet) Results: makes a huge difference! BTW, as a non owner, you may not be aware, but a software update pushed through gives you the option to kick the air on if it gets warmer than 105 (don't quote me on the exact temp but around 105 if memory serves). It will max out at 12 hours duration should your car be parked for an extended period without use. A great feature. On hotter days when my dog is with me, I cool it down for ~5 mins first.

I’m also 6’2” and have never noticed any heat coming from the roof. Whatever IR reflective coating they put on works. Of course, if you let the inside of your car sit in the parking lot with no AC the inside temp will get to 140 which will make the glass hot. This has nothing to do with IR coming through the glass.

I live in Las Vegas and I think its fair to say thats about as hot as it gets with the clear, near 0 humidity skys and radiant sun on a 115 degree day.

I also noticed the glass gets hot. Im only 5’10 but I can feel the heat radiating from the glass itself (not the sun through the glass so much as once the glass cools it goes away).

The issue is the thermal build up in the glass. The glass has a thermal mass and once that is saturated it starts to radiate heat itself (beyond just IR penetration from the sun).

First, I highly recommend precooling as stated above. In a couple minutes my car drops from 120 (maintained by the fan only cabin cooling) to 110 or below, which is often enough to cut the discomfort in half until the car fully cools

Second, I recommend buying the tesla sunscreen (I have not done this yet as precooling and tinting the side windows/front windshield has made the heat radiation issue almost go away). Tint ads a thin layer of insulation but the sunscreen will leave an air pocket between you and the glass. It should also absorb some of the radiation. It should act both as a convection and a radiation filter with better convection insulation than a window film due to the air pocket.

If all the above doesnt work then consider tint. But I perfer removable options over seasonally permanent options anyday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Point 3
I live in Las Vegas and I think its fair to say thats about as hot as it gets with the clear, near 0 humidity skys and radiant sun on a 115 degree day.

I also noticed the glass gets hot. Im only 5’10 but I can feel the heat radiating from the glass itself (not the sun through the glass so much as once the glass cools it goes away).

The issue is the thermal build up in the glass. The glass has a thermal mass and once that is saturated it starts to radiate heat itself (beyond just IR penetration from the sun).

First, I highly recommend precooling as stated above. In a couple minutes my car drops from 120 (maintained by the fan only cabin cooling) to 110 or below, which is often enough to cut the discomfort in half until the car fully cools

Second, I recommend buying the tesla sunscreen (I have not done this yet as precooling has made to issue almost go away). Tint ads a thin layer of insulation but the sunscreen will leave an air pocket between you and the glass. It should also absorb some of the radiation. It should act both as a convection and a radiation filter with better convection insulation than a window film due to the air pocket.

If all the above doesnt work then consider tint. But I perfer removable options over seasonally permanent options anyday.

I agree, it is almost impossible not to feel an object heated to 200 degrees (or whatever it may be) inches away from you.

I got the removable sunshade and it helps a lot.

And in the winter when it is 70 degrees every day I will just take it out until next summer.

Reactions: ElectricGhost