Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hot Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in California and have a blue Model 3..... the roof in my car heats up very, very hot, eliminating the effect of the air-conditioning. Does anyone else have the same issue?

Tint your roof, as mentioned. I have all the glass on my model 3 tinted, including the windshield at 70%, and the roof the same tint as the rest of the car. I have 3M Crystalline tint on my car. Couple that with a really good windshield screen when I park (I do not use one for the glass roof, the tint is enough there), and its been fine.

Temecula is likely a similar climate to thousand oaks, even though we are quite a ways from each other. The above should work for you.

EDIT: I also would not characterize the heat as "eliminating the effect of air conditioning" but how hot or cold someone feel is all relative, so I am not going to tell you "its not happing". I will just say, "I have yet to be in heat the AC could not overcome inside the car with the windows closed, in my model 3 or in any other vehicle".

The Tesla roof shade helps.....

We use the Tesla roof shade also (for the front, usually only us in car) and find it keeps the amount of heat down that reaches us. The sun’s rays hit the shade netting first and dissipates it. Does also help create a darker interior with some light still coming in and we feel there’s less eye squinting when it’s really bright outside.

Reactions: smatthew
Tint your roof, as mentioned. I have all the glass on my model 3 tinted, including the windshield at 70%, and the roof the same tint as the rest of the car. I have 3M Crystalline tint on my car. Couple that with a really good windshield screen when I park (I do not use one for the glass roof, the tint is enough there), and its been fine.

Temecula is likely a similar climate to thousand oaks, even though we are quite a ways from each other. The above should work for you.

EDIT: I also would not characterize the heat as "eliminating the effect of air conditioning" but how hot or cold someone feel is all relative, so I am not going to tell you "its not happing". I will just say, "I have yet to be in heat the AC could not overcome inside the car with the windows closed, in my model 3 or in any other vehicle".
thanks.... Actually it does eliminate the effect of AC on my head and higher in the car.... but not the total interieur

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I actually got sunburn on my head through the roof. Took the wife to the dentist. Waiting room is closed due to Covid, so I had to sit in the car for the 2.5 hours of her procedure in full, summer sun in western central NJ. It was roughly 85 degrees out and I had temp controls set to 76. I posted this before, don’t remember the details clearly now, but I think I used 16 miles of range in 2.5 hours of that. I ended up putting on a baseball cap to protect my head, but it was too late. I had pink scalp for several days after. The roof glass was too hot to touch. I have hair - not as much as when I was in my 20s, but I’m not bald or sporting a Homer Simpson comb-over, so more than just a tiny bit of UV definitely made it through the glass.

The car is specified as blocking UVA at the following levels.
front and rear 98%
side glass 74%
roof 99%

However, even that might not be good enough for someone with red hair. Maybe you lingered outside and the burn happened there, but felt worse because of the heat in the car?

Why were you running the car at 76 degrees? Do you like it that warm? Or trying to save battery? On a hot day I will change the vents to blow on the roof for a few minutes to cool it down when I get in the car. I run my AC at 66-68 and the glass cools right off.

• Helpful
Reactions: jpfive
front and rear 98%
side glass 74%
roof 99%

However, even that might not be good enough for someone with red hair. Maybe you lingered outside and the burn happened there, but felt worse because of the heat in the car?

Why were you running the car at 76 degrees? Do you like it that warm? Or trying to save battery? On a hot day I will change the vents to blow on the roof for a few minutes to cool it down when I get in the car. I run my AC at 66-68 and the glass cools right off.
I was not outside, even to walk to the car (it’s garage-kept). My only sun exposure was from the sun shining down through the roof. At one point I could feel my scalp burning. I have blond/silver hair that is thinning on top. For context, I have a very pale complexion and the worst sunburns I’ve ever had have been on overcast days when I didn’t wear a hat. I have been burned in the past through a white baseball cap and light-colored beach umbrella. I took a gamble, thinking the UV-blocking glass would protect me. After about 2 hours I had to don a dark-blue baseball cap to prevent further damage. Maybe spending the entire spring and summer inside because of Covid made me more pale and susceptible to burning. Maybe I have less hair than I did last year.

I kept the car at 76 because I had no idea how long the procedure would take (I think there was a root canal and gum grafting), but figured it would be a long time and I wanted to conserve battery. I had never sat in the car with A/C running for an extended period before and was not sure how much juice it would burn (I was not entirely over my range anxiety at that point).

I was not outside, even to walk to the car (it’s garage-kept). My only sun exposure was from the sun shining down through the roof. At one point I could feel my scalp burning. I have blond/silver hair that is thinning on top. For context, I have a very pale complexion and the worst sunburns I’ve ever had have been on overcast days when I didn’t wear a hat. I have been burned in the past through a white baseball cap and light-colored beach umbrella. I took a gamble, thinking the UV-blocking glass would protect me. After about 2 hours I had to don a dark-blue baseball cap to prevent further damage. Maybe spending the entire spring and summer inside because of Covid made me more pale and susceptible to burning. Maybe I have less hair than I did last year.

I kept the car at 76 because I had no idea how long the procedure would take (I think there was a root canal and gum grafting), but figured it would be a long time and I wanted to conserve battery. I had never sat in the car with A/C running for an extended period before and was not sure how much juice it would burn (I was not entirely over my range anxiety at that point).

That's interesting. But here's some info:
Tesla uses laminated glass in all windshields and sunroofs.
Laminated glass by definition blocks at least 98% of UV and is equivalent to SPF50+. This is because of the plastic used to laminate the glass together. Does my windshield protect me from the sun?
Here's someone who used a UV sensor to test roof. UV measurements -- DF Robot Sensor

Unless the sun was reflecting through the side windows.....

That's interesting. But here's some info:
Tesla uses laminated glass in all windshields and sunroofs.
Laminated glass by definition blocks at least 98% of UV and is equivalent to SPF50+. This is because of the plastic used to laminate the glass together. Does my windshield protect me from the sun?
Here's someone who used a UV sensor to test roof. UV measurements -- DF Robot Sensor

Unless the sun was reflecting through the side windows.....
It was mid-day - the sun was overhead the whole time and the burn was on the crown of my head. SPF50 would not prevent me from burning with 2 hours of mid-day exposure, especially as pale as I was at that point. When I put my baseball cap on in the car it was quite uncomfortable because my scalp was already pink and painful.

front and rear 98%
side glass 74%
roof 99%

UV-A doesn't cause sunburn, UV-B does.

Is there any data on UV-B?

Tint will not help. Darker the roof more sunlight its going to consume making glass even hotter. You can lower amount of sun radiation coming to your interior but roof will still be hot. The only possible way to solve this by insulating the roof,like every other car is made or by applying silver film on the outside of the roof glass.

I live in California and have a blue Model 3..... the roof in my car heats up very, very hot, eliminating the effect of the air-conditioning. Does anyone else have the same issue?
Roof sun shade helps a good amount. Tint reduces sun penetration, but a screen blocks the hot glass from radiating on the inside of the car too and creates a vapor barrier to insulation our balding heads. Worth it!

Last edited: