Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hot Seat!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sfRonH

Model Y received 2022-May
The seat in my Model Y almost always feels too hot! It's not a sun issue or a car temperature issue. It even happens when I'm driving home at night in a nice cool car. And I do not accidentally have the seat heater on. I checked many many times.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Seems a remote possibility, but I'm wondering if the heaters are somehow stuck ON.
Or could it be that the fabric is just so "bad?" that it's always hot where my body touches it?

The seat in my Model Y almost always feels too hot! It's not a sun issue or a car temperature issue. It even happens when I'm driving home at night in a nice cool car. And I do not accidentally have the seat heater on. I checked many many times.

Seems a remote possibility, but I'm wondering if the heaters are somehow stuck ON.
Or could it be that the fabric is just so "bad?" that it's always hot where my body touches it?
I’ve not heard of such an issue. Perhaps you’re just hot. Hmm that didn’t sound right 🤣. There are these seat coverings which look like a bunch of beads sewn together. Supposedly one benefit is air circulation so your body heat is not trapped by a seat with no automatic ventilation. Seems like many taxi cab drivers use it.

Reactions: sfRonH
Upvote 0

I have a friend with a 22 Model Y with interest in adding cooling to the seats.
There is aftermarket cooling but it's a big job to install. I think it's just a fan that blows through a replacement cover they provide.
It is most likely the seat reflecting heat. But it could be the heater somehow stuck on.

Upvote 0
The seat heaters are relatively easy to disconnect. It's a large gray connector underneath the seat.
If it were happening to me, I'd disconnect both seat heaters and see if anything changed.
If it doesn't get better, then it's the feeling from the non ventilated seats, holding and reflecting body heat.
If the problem does get better, then somehow the seat heaters are on.
Do you check the display? The display will show which seat heaters are on. Push the temperature icon showing degrees in the lower left. That brings up the main climate control. Look at the images of the seats. There's a single seat towards the left. If any red lines show, the system is on.
Provided the heaters are not on, an easy fix might possibly be choosing the right seat covers. Make certain they are ventilated.
Like another poster said there's a modification out there to ventilate the seats.
It would be helpful if you could say where you feel the heat from. The bottom? The back? Any additional details or information?
Sincerely,
George

Upvote 0
And I have an IR gun??
$20-25 bucks for a cheap one. It would answer your question. I bought one years ago when I had brake dragging issues. It showed me which brake pad was dragging.
It is NOT useful for checking if your Thanksgiving turkey is cooked all the way through, though.

Reactions: sfRonH and Bikeman
Upvote 0
The seat heaters are relatively easy to disconnect. It's a large gray connector underneath the seat.
If it were happening to me, I'd disconnect both seat heaters and see if anything changed.
If it doesn't get better, then it's the feeling from the non ventilated seats, holding and reflecting body heat.
If the problem does get better, then somehow the seat heaters are on.
Do you check the display? The display will show which seat heaters are on. Push the temperature icon showing degrees in the lower left. That brings up the main climate control. Look at the images of the seats. There's a single seat towards the left. If any red lines show, the system is on.
Provided the heaters are not on, an easy fix might possibly be choosing the right seat covers. Make certain they are ventilated.
Like another poster said there's a modification out there to ventilate the seats.
It would be helpful if you could say where you feel the heat from. The bottom? The back? Any additional details or information?
Sincerely,
George
thank you for the idea of disconnecting. that would be a good test. I have checked the display and have a handle on what the little indicators mean (despite "auto" coloration being the opposite meaning as used for same coloration of the Tab for front seats or rear seats). I feel the heat in my lower back. I'm beginning to think it's me--how my skin feels?--and made worse by the synthetic materials. As the weather has become a tad cooler in the Bay Area of California, I'm not noticing the problem. I do fear when spring arrives.

Upvote 0