Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hotel recommedations for California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to book a surprise vacation for my wife's birthday...I'm considering a few locations, but the flights just don't seem to work out, so I'm looking towards the west coast as well, since there's not shortage of flights from DFW, and figures a bunch o

I'm assuming something nearer SFO, but I really don't care, it's the hotel that matters. We're kind of picky, and for something like this I'm not looking for a Marriott. Do any of you have any recommendations for a really nice (but nothing much over $500 per night) hotel (or villa, lakehouse etc), practically anywhere in CA? something small, private and contemporary. maybe something a bit different, but still luxurious. I guess our favorite hotel group is Banyan Tree, if that helps. The Zaza hotels are good too.

Obviously, while there we'll try to take a trip to the factory for a tour, seems silly not to :)

Have you been to the Hotel California?:wink:

I took a factory tour on Friday with 2 other couples. One was from Pennsylvania and the other was from Saratoga. They are pretty low staffed at the factory currently for the tours but they were ok with us joining the group for a tour. I think it was neat to see the place again after driving the car for more than 3500 miles

do you like B&B style places? or wine tasting? Bodega Bay area maybe, or Mendocino

I'm looking to book a surprise vacation for my wife's birthday...I'm considering a few locations, but the flights just don't seem to work out, so I'm looking towards the west coast as well, since there's not shortage of flights from DFW, and figures a bunch o

I'm assuming something nearer SFO, but I really don't care, it's the hotel that matters. We're kind of picky, and for something like this I'm not looking for a Marriott. Do any of you have any recommendations for a really nice (but nothing much over $500 per night) hotel (or villa, lakehouse etc), practically anywhere in CA? something small, private and contemporary. maybe something a bit different, but still luxurious. I guess our favorite hotel group is Banyan Tree, if that helps. The Zaza hotels are good too.

Obviously, while there we'll try to take a trip to the factory for a tour, seems silly not to :)
As a native northern Californian, we don't spend a lot time in hotels here...we have a house for that. But two come to mind:
South of Monterey, CA - Post Ranch Inn (Big Sur Hotels | Post Ranch Inn | Carmel Luxury Resort) Haven't stayed there but it is definitely on the list
Napa Valley - Auberge du Soleil (Napa Valley Hotel, Restaurant Spa Resort | Auberge du Soleil) - Wonderful property with world class restaurant. And the wines ain't bad either.

Both pricey but worth it.

Have you been to the Hotel California?:wink:

I took a factory tour on Friday with 2 other couples. One was from Pennsylvania and the other was from Saratoga. They are pretty low staffed at the factory currently for the tours but they were ok with us joining the group for a tour. I think it was neat to see the place again after driving the car for more than 3500 miles

do you like B&B style places? or wine tasting? Bodega Bay area maybe, or Mendocino

Not big wine drinkers really, and B&Bs are ok as long as they're not too twee :).

- - - Updated - - -

As a native northern Californian, we don't spend a lot time in hotels here...we have a house for that. But two come to mind:
South of Monterey, CA - Post Ranch Inn (Big Sur Hotels | Post Ranch Inn | Carmel Luxury Resort) Haven't stayed there but it is definitely on the list
Napa Valley - Auberge du Soleil (Napa Valley Hotel, Restaurant Spa Resort | Auberge du Soleil) - Wonderful property with world class restaurant. And the wines ain't bad either.

Both pricey but worth it.

Post Ranch Inn looks great, but a little out of my price range, at lease for the room I'd want.