TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hotel recommedations for California?

Discussion in 'California' started by pete8314, Jan 19, 2013.

1. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I'm looking to book a surprise vacation for my wife's birthday...I'm considering a few locations, but the flights just don't seem to work out, so I'm looking towards the west coast as well, since there's not shortage of flights from DFW, and figures a bunch o

I'm assuming something nearer SFO, but I really don't care, it's the hotel that matters. We're kind of picky, and for something like this I'm not looking for a Marriott. Do any of you have any recommendations for a really nice (but nothing much over $500 per night) hotel (or villa, lakehouse etc), practically anywhere in CA? something small, private and contemporary. maybe something a bit different, but still luxurious. I guess our favorite hotel group is Banyan Tree, if that helps. The Zaza hotels are good too.

Obviously, while there we'll try to take a trip to the factory for a tour, seems silly not to :)

2. Zextraterrestrial

Have you been to the Hotel California?:wink:

I took a factory tour on Friday with 2 other couples. One was from Pennsylvania and the other was from Saratoga. They are pretty low staffed at the factory currently for the tours but they were ok with us joining the group for a tour. I think it was neat to see the place again after driving the car for more than 3500 miles

do you like B&B style places? or wine tasting? Bodega Bay area maybe, or Mendocino

3. napabill

napabill Active Member

As a native northern Californian, we don't spend a lot time in hotels here...we have a house for that. But two come to mind:
    South of Monterey, CA - Post Ranch Inn (Big Sur Hotels | Post Ranch Inn | Carmel Luxury Resort) Haven't stayed there but it is definitely on the list
    Napa Valley - Auberge du Soleil (Napa Valley Hotel, Restaurant Spa Resort | Auberge du Soleil) - Wonderful property with world class restaurant. And the wines ain't bad either.

Both pricey but worth it.

4. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Not big wine drinkers really, and B&Bs are ok as long as they're not too twee :).

- - - Updated - - -

Post Ranch Inn looks great, but a little out of my price range, at lease for the room I'd want.

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

"Above the Clouds" in Sonoma. Not pricey, incredibly romantic, small and intimate. Great scenery, vineyards and restaurants all over the place, wonderful walks in Jack London park, ask about the homemade crepes for breakfast.

http://www.abovethecloudsbb.com/index.html

6. Timothy

Timothy Driving on Sunshine

My daughter stayed at the Upham Hotel in Santa Barbara after her wedding. Loved it! Excellent restaurant. Can walk anywhere in down town in 15 minutes. Much less expensive than the fancy hotels here--the Biltmore and Baccara. And Santa Barbara has great beaches.

http://www.uphamhotel.com/