Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hotel Tesla in a Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I figured we should start a thread to figure out how best to do a hotel Tesla (sleep in your car) in a Model X. I have not received my X yet but I'm thinking that if I inflate an inflatable mattress to about 80% and bend it into the space that is created when the second row is pushed up that may work.

If anybody has attempted this please post pictures.

Once I get my 90D model X around June I will play around with this idea too .

Thanks in advance.

It pains me to say, "I don't think so." I'll make some experimental attempts at it too, (don't have mine yet :eek:) but between the front edge of the folded down 3rd row & the backs of the 2nd row all the way forward, there is a nice big deep pit to the floor. You could fill it w properly sized boxes or bins or something, or a flat support you lay on to keep it from falling into the hole.
I hope Tesla will end up selling me 2 Model Xs, this first one, then another one when somebody there understands that flat-fold is really a thing. No flat fold is by far my biggest disappointment, so far, in this experience.

I'm sorry to be a buzzkill, but I'm 5'8" on a good day and I can't figure out a way to make it work. I initially thought maybe laying on my side between the first and second rows if the 2nd row was all the way back. Not a chance in hell. Other than that, the best option is, as @MikeL says, to fabricate something to level the "pit" between the folded 3rd row and the back of the center console. This only works with a 6-seater, and by works, I mean "probably won't work".

Better choices: SUV Tent, reclined front seat, hotel. I have a sleeping bag and tent that I kept in my Model S frunk on road trips, but I always make it to the hotel.

My personal choice is with ohmman on this one. You need to charge anyway and will probably want a decent toilet and shower so head to an RV park with a tent and really good air mattress. Keep your stuff in the back of the Model X so it does not get rained on or taken off by bears (hmm have to think about that one). Plug the car into a 14-50 with the UMC and everything will be fully charged, clean and safe in the AM. And you will sleep better too.

Oh and an added benefit to all Tesla OCDers, which we all are: You will essentially be sleeping with your car which won't happen if you go to a motel.

Reactions: BillC
I think I've had a solution for almost 2 years now without even knowing. I was looking forward to my North American tour in my X this Summer. I may just start on Sunday anyway. Will be giving up the plate before so to avoid more confusion and the constant painful reminder I feel everyday now.

ciXI0qE.jpg

I figured we should start a thread to figure out how best to do a hotel Tesla (sleep in your car) in a Model X
Due to the non-folding second row seats, I went ahead and ordered a Model S instead. I still have the X reservation but will probably be rolling that deposit over to the Model S order.

As others have mentioned, thanks to @Bjorn, we know sleeping is actually possible in the rear of the Model S. :)

I have thought of using the 2nd row missing seat area for leg space if the upper torso was on the folded third row. Moving baggage, ice chest, duffle bag or other items to that area could provide the added filler material to level the surface.

However...

The driver seat in Model X is so very comfortable when fully reclined, it works excellent for taking a much needed rest. I found out how good it was when reading the owner's manual on the touchscreen after midnight in the garage. Got tired and thought, "I'll just take a short nap here." When I awoke about 6 AM, I felt great. I knew then, that unlike the original Model S seats, these would work at a rest stop when needed.

Whenever you feel the need to sleep, even during midday, stop immediately in a safe location. When you wake up from your nap, you should be good to drive again. Repeat as necessary. It's amazing what even a little bit of sleep can do. If you need more, enjoy Motel 6, they are always there 24/7 to help you get the rest you really need.

Reactions: ssq
@ ohmman The front windshield is 5' 6" from top to bottom. Think outside the bo"X". A sleeping bag and pillow on the B Cross pillar should do it. Of course that's a heck a a curve on the back. But if Spooning the X, it could work.

I need to get a life....

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
I'm definately planning on sleeping in my X. (no , my wife doesn't kick me out alot) . I love sleeping in the car as it gives you that sense of freedom, kind of like having an EV. I'm going to make a little table out of PVC that I keep in the trunk and easily snaps together and goes in between the 2 second row seats at the height of the 3rd row cargo space and then throw a self-inflating pad on top. Hope to get my car very soon. Right now I'm not sleeping very well , I think I have PTSD. (Postponed Tesla Stress Disorder )