Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hotels in Florida with Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm at a conference at the Hampton on SW 12th Street in Miami (Brickell), and they have two spots in their garage reserved for EVs with chargers (GE, but I didn't see what kind because I didn't bring my cable with me) where charging is free if you are at the hotel. The hotel is new and pretty nice for anyone coming to downtown Miami. I'm back tomorrow and will try to provide more details on the charging, if I can remember my mobile cable!

I'm at a conference at the Hampton on SW 12th Street in Miami (Brickell), and they have two spots in their garage reserved for EVs with chargers (GE, but I didn't see what kind because I didn't bring my cable with me) where charging is free if you are at the hotel. The hotel is new and pretty nice for anyone coming to downtown Miami. I'm back tomorrow and will try to provide more details on the charging, if I can remember my mobile cable!

Thanks Josh.

It was great meeting you down in beautiful Miami Beach!

Regards,

Larry

Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Brickell Downtown | 50 SW 12th Street - Miami, Florida 33130

I wasn't sure where to post this -- originally I had mentioned this hotel (the Hampton Inn on Brickell in downtown Miami) in the Florida thread on charging stations, but had such an interesting experience this morning I thought I'd post it here. I had a two-day conference at this hotel yesterday and today, and was very pleasantly surprised to see that they had two parking spaces with chargers for EVs. This morning I brought my cable with me and converters and managed to get myself charging while I attended my meeting.

A colleague wanted to see the car so we were doing a walkaround when a Fisker pulled up next to us and parked his car. He said that this was the first time anyone had parked next to him! It turns out he owns the hotel, and it is the only LEED certified hotel in downtown Miami, and the charging stations are part of that certification somehow. He said they had actually wired that area of the garage for 8 charging spots (you can see the box to the left of my car), which he said he hopes to see in a couple of years. The hotel was really nice, and he bragged about the fact that it's #1 on Trip Advisor for downtown Miami hotels (figure I'd give a pro-EV hotel owner a plug!).

He got his Fisker in June, and was happy with it overall, although he had some complaints about the UI (as we've heard before), but otherwise said he loves the car. He was pretty familiar with Tesla, although surprised when I said 300 miles of range. Anyway, here's a pretty cool picture -- the colleague I was with said that she felt like she was looking at the future as I took this picture. I completely agree!

View attachment 11578

Last edited:
Vinoy Marriott Hotel in St. Petersburg, FL:

I'm happy to report that the Vinoy Marriott hotel in St. Petersburg really
has 2 J1772 chargers in their covered parking garages. One charger in each
of the 2 garages. I was able to recharge my car over night and it was free.
The charger provided 209V @ 30A and charged at 16 mph. Not very much but
enough to fill up the battery to Standard Mode if you stay over night. The
receptionist mentioned that I was the first customer as far as she knew
asking about their charging facility.

In addition there are multiple chargers along 5th Ave in front of the hotel
(at least one from Chargepoint is free) but you have to park on the street.

Vinoy Marriott Hotel in St. Petersburg, FL:

I'm happy to report that the Vinoy Marriott hotel in St. Petersburg really
has 2 J1772 chargers in their covered parking garages. One charger in each
of the 2 garages. I was able to recharge my car over night and it was free.
The charger provided 209V @ 30A and charged at 16 mph. Not very much but
enough to fill up the battery to Standard Mode if you stay over night. The
receptionist mentioned that I was the first customer as far as she knew
asking about their charging facility.

In addition there are multiple chargers along 5th Ave in front of the hotel
(at least one from Chargepoint is free) but you have to park on the street.

Thanks Mike,

It is troubling that these two chargers are not listed on the Chargepoint network. I gather that charging proceeded without a problem even though the rate was slow? Would you recommend this hotel to club members?

Thanks.

Larry

Yes, Larry, I would recommend this hotel to our club members. It's actually a resort, a little old fashioned but very comfortable and clean.

As Chargepoint offers 2 chargers for free directly in front of the hotel, I assume Chargepoint might see the hotel chargers as competition. And most people prefer to have their car inside a closed parking garage instead along the curb.

I received this additional information from Dave:

We drove the Model S to Orlando and stayed at the Renaissance Sea World. As previously reported, the hotel has two charging stations which are free to guests. 30A, 16 -18 mph charge. They are in the valet parking area, close to the front door. No charge to use the stations, and the hotel waives the parking fee for EVs. They were very happy to see the stations being used. The front desk supervisor thanked me for saving the environment. I suspect my Model S was the first one they have seen.

I believe the Marriott Orlando World Center also has charging stations, but the staff was so poorly trained that absolutely no one could provide any information on them. They are also not shown on chargepoint, or any other web site, including Marriott's web site.

Marriott Grande Vista Orlando also has free charging stations for guests.

Dave Marsh

Larry

Got two more for you- just saw 2 plugs in the West side associates lot at the Rosen Shingle Creek. Also saw 2 free stations at the Renaissance Resort right next to SeaWorld both in Orlando near resorts and convention center.

The Rosen Shingle Creek is a great hotel. Stayed there last year with my youngest, and he said "it is nicer than the Four Seasons." Central location too.

Charged up at the Orlando Renaissance Sea World over the weekend

Had my first overnight hotel charge this weekend!

There are two free charing stations in the valet controlled area at the Marriott Orlando Renaissance Sea World hotel.
Kim and I were catching up with my friends in the band Shinedown, spending the night in town, then finally using our Sea World season passes.

The spots were ICE'd but that doesn't really matter - as the valet's move the cars as needed.

This hotel is in a great location - very close to I-4, walking distance to Sea World. This lands it several miles past Disney exits and about 10 miles before Downtown Orlando.

30A, picked up 14mph.
Note that I had to back in. The cable was just a few inches too short to pull it off with a regular pull-in.

Be sure to check out my other post on here from that weekend - which includes some photos and video of Shinedown members in the frunk, driving, etc ;)

Discovered Shinedown's Zach Myers in my frunk.. then went for a short spin!Video/pics

DSC02394.jpg

Kim

DSC02397.jpg

DSC02402.jpg

Me

I'm at a conference at the Hampton on SW 12th Street in Miami (Brickell), and they have two spots in their garage reserved for EVs with chargers (GE, but I didn't see what kind because I didn't bring my cable with me) where charging is free if you are at the hotel.

Just had a colleague who was coming to Miami on business stay at that Hampton. He was very happy with it... EV chargers, LEED certified, new, clean, good rates ($180) for the location, and good service... I think it's my new favorite hotel in downtown Miami. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Recently traveled to Orlando for an event at the OCCC (Orange County Convention Center). The center itself has four Chargepoint chargers that are free to anyone visiting the center. Although they are 30A chargers in theory (or late at night), overall I had to dial down the current draw to 24A because their overall electric grid is a little overloaded in daytime and higher settings sometimes caused the car to terminate charging if the voltage dropped below 203V or so. Generally, I got 210V/24A and about 15 rmph when charging, IIRC.

Several nearby hotels also advertise Chargepoint chargers. Unfortunately, the Rosen directly across from the OCCC where I was staying did not. We had a fairly large group and made plans months ago, so I wasn't able to use the charger as a hotel-selection criterion.

So, I'm here at the Grande Vista. The GE charger works fine. Actually, the voltage seems lower than the Chargepoints I've been to. It's charging at around 197V@30A.
You definitely have to be staying here to use it. You need to use your room key to open the gate to get there.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the update.

Marriott's Grande Vista

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

REMINDER:

Here's a Map of Florida Hotels with Electric Charging Stations.

Just click on the place markers or list for links to the hotels.

Larry