Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hotspot instead of Tesla connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it’s worth, and based on a sample size of 1 (me), I can’t get my car to connect to my iPhone (13 Pro Max) personal hotspot unless I actually go to the page in the settings.

The network doesn’t appear unless I do, even if it’s already switched on.

For what it’s worth, and based on a sample size of 1 (me), I can’t get my car to connect to my iPhone (13 Pro Max) personal hotspot unless I actually go to the page in the settings.

I guess even if you can't get the car to connect to the phone automatically, it only really matters if you're using Spotify or something like that for music? If you're using bluetooth for music - as I will be unless they add an Apple Music app to the Tesla UI - you'll only need to hotspot to your phone if you're doing something like watching Netflix, right? And if I'm doing that, I'm parked and a couple of extra screen taps to manually connect won't be the end of the world

Try going to the actual screen on your phone (Settings -> Personal Hotspot), assuming you’re on an iPhone. It doesn’t see it on mine unless I do that.
Did that, the phone is set to hotspot, I use it all the time with other devices. Just the car doesn’t see it, it does see the house wifi though so it should work. I wouldn’t say it’s something I’ll lose sleep over though, I’m more of a radio listener than playlists etc

Something to add into the mix.

Today I found it connected to the home wifi and streaming immediately on entry. Phone hotspot already on. Then, once out of range of home wifi, it went to LTE. Had to pull over to get it to connect to the phone. So I wonder if it is only allowing one type of connection to be maintained. Contrast with the phone, which shows LTE signal strength and wifi separately. Maybe that is why we have to manually reconnect every time?

Just to repeat it again..

Once you’re in Drive you can’t connect to any wifi network, even if it’s one that is set to “Stay connected in Drive”. The car won’t hop between any wireless networks while you’re on the move.

You have to connect to your personal hotspot BEFORE you go into Drive. If you somehow lose wireless connection to your phone hotspot while you’re driving, I think it’ll stay disconnected then too.

• Informative
Reactions: Casss
Something to add into the mix.

Today I found it connected to the home wifi and streaming immediately on entry. Phone hotspot already on. Then, once out of range of home wifi, it went to LTE. Had to pull over to get it to connect to the phone. So I wonder if it is only allowing one type of connection to be maintained. Contrast with the phone, which shows LTE signal strength and wifi separately. Maybe that is why we have to manually reconnect every time?
On that basis, I’ll give it another bash when away from home. Although not sure I’ll use it if it requires manual intervention each time. I hated the way my BMW always defaulted back to comfort setting instead of the sport I wanted it in, or the way lane assist defaults to On in my wife’s Hyundai & a VW I rented. It’s just a chinese water torture type thing to me lol. If I set something then leave it alone for gods sake🤣🤣

Did that, the phone is set to hotspot, I use it all the time with other devices. Just the car doesn’t see it, it does see the house wifi though so it should work. I wouldn’t say it’s something I’ll lose sleep over though, I’m more of a radio listener than playlists etc
I’ve found it quite temperamental to be honest. Sometimes it will even tell me the password to my hotspot is wrong even though it is saved, and it will connect again if I just retry.

That’s the way it works on an iPhone. You have to go into the hotspot mode for it to stop being a Wi-Fi client and become a Wi-Fi hotspot.

It would be better is Tesla allowed Bluetooth data connectivity so you don’t have to go into settings every time but bandwidth may be an issue and Tesla wants to sell you premium connectivity so they don’t make it easy, such as not allowing you to select a network once in drive, so I don’t expect them to start allowing BT data connectivity.

Reactions: Durzel